PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
This evening find me in Pembroke, NY which is a little bit east of Buffalo. I planned my day so as to spend the night at this truckstop because I knew they had a separate closed in smoking section in the dining room.
I had imagined being able to sit back after my meal and enjoy a nice bowl. Imagine my anger when I got here and discovered that the new management had removed the door from the smoking section and put up no smoking signs!
I guess I flipped my lid just a little. I gave the manager a piece of my mind promising to never, ever stop here, buy fuel or food here, ever again. I returned to my truck, prepared my own dinner in my microwave, and am smoking that bowl in my truck.
I will never spend another dime in this place unless and until I hear the smoking section has been put back into place (and hopefully the manager dismissed). I know of another truckstop just a few miles from here (I passed it on the way here) that does still have it's smoking section and I'll just stop there from now on even though the food isn't as good and the parking lot is smaller.
When I passed that other place I wondered why the parking lot was much fuller than usual. Now I know why.
I will be firing off an email to this place's corporate office to complain about this. I know they spent several thousand dollars on the smoking room and state permits to allow smoking in there. I wonder if they even know what has been done? If not, they will know tomorrow morning when they read my email.
It has been an otherwise uneventful trip from Wisconsin to this point. I am hauling a military wrecker to Ft. Drum, NY. I will be reloading a snow removal truck from a different location on the same base to take back to WI. No need to wait around looking for a reload. Nice.
I had stopped for breakfast this morning in Perrysburg, OH. I was about a third of the way through a bowl of Irish Aromatic and had carried my pipe in with me although I did allow it go out as I walked to the building (no indoor smoking).
When I seated myself I pulled my little folding pipe rest out of my wallet and set it on the counter, and then the pipe in the rest. The waitress saw the pipe rest and asked where I had purchased it.
I told her that most places that sell pipes also carry them and they are quite inexpensive. She told me her father smokes pipes and would like something like that and she wanted to buy him one. She thanked me for the information. I didn't have the heart to tell her he probably already has at least one.
As I was leaving she wished me "Happy pipe smoking, it smells really good!" That was nice to hear.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
that really sucks that a go to place has been eliminated. I know how you feel though, I am moving on Sunday and on the application, I put no smoking so as not to discriminated against. Looked at the lease yesterday and it says no smoking on the premises... not even in our private patio. Well, I will be playing this by ear, otherwise I will be doing some studying somewhere outdoors, got to love CA laws.. good luck with your email btw, hopefully corporate sees it the way you do.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Always a pleasure to read of your travels. Bad luck on the smoking ban. I hope to hear that your letter to corporate is effective.

samgam

Lurker
Oct 5, 2011
That would definitely suck. I'm just thankful my apartment complex allows smoking in the apartments! I have no idea when I'd be able to regularly smoke (since I would probably get fed up with the wind when smoking outside) since WalMart got rid of the employee smoke lounge this summer!

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
WalMart got rid of the employee smoke lounge this summer!

Yeah, they did away with it at my store over a year ago... sucks to have to go outside to smoke, but Walmart is moving toward a ban on employees smoking period.. They have already served notice that insurance for tobacco users was going up 25%.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Mason,

If the new manager did it on his own...

The Corporate office will notice pretty quick, when he fails to make his sales goals...

He won't last long.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Sorry to hear about the smoking room pipetrucker!! I travel often for business myself and I know how it feels to look forward to a little respite while away from home..... Definite bummer to have such a let down!!

arinbjorn

Might Stick Around
Sep 14, 2011
Mason - I noticed on your first stretch that you passed by the Wisconsin/Illinois border. If you would like to stop by for a pipe or two, you'd be more than welcome on your return trip. I live about 15 minutes off of I90, even less distance from 173 - in Machesney Park, IL, 61115. It's literally a couple minutes outside of Rockford, IL.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
It doesn't make good sense to do that in a truck stop.I'm sure that a good many other truckers feel as you do.It's probably not good for business to piss off a bunch of truckers.

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
crazy laws this has nothing to do with smoking .back in the

mid 70 i lived in a small village outside capetown the movie houses

were open on sundays and the pubs closed

ok so what do they do movie house are band from operating on sundays

and they allow the pubs to open reason movie houses were keeping people

away from church

WORK THAT ONE OUT

david (SCOTLAND)

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Sad to read, but from all posts and stories in papers and on the net a coming of time. All be it a sad coming of time.
I too enjoy reading your stories of your travels. Being a travelor for work, ( I travel all over by plane) I too find that smoking and the allowance of such is diminishing quite quickly. Even here in Missouri (Where the first question in eateries is "Smoking or non-smoking?)smoking is becoming less prevelant and less allowed indoors.
Again, thanks for sharing your stories.

samgam

Lurker
Oct 5, 2011
@smokindawg I'm from MO as well, and after what happened in Springfield, and how Mizzou is turning completely smoke-free, I'm kinda worried about how things are going to go around here...

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Thanks for the comments everyone. Forgive me for not responding to each individually as I am a bit tired as well as under the influence of several beers and one very attractive young female computer programmer. Ok, I am a sucker for geek chicks, what can I say?

treebeard

Lurker
Sep 23, 2011
That last bit at the end of your story really sums it up. Bad tobacco sucks, and makes a bad name for those of us that actually buy GOOD tobacco. I have been in the company of several women whom have commented on the smell of the pipe, and ALL of them have thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the big business of what crap like Marlboro and Newport have done is ruining public smoking for the rest of us.
This puritanical crap has got to stop. Smoking is not bad. An ADDICTION to smoking is bad. Someone can be an intellectual addict, and it would be just as much, if not, MORE of a problem. The evil never resides in the thing itself, but in the addiction thereof.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Smack 'em in the wallet and they will listen. It's kind of like was once told me by a veteran older than myself:
" They told us 'Hearts and Minds'. My Sergeant Major said, 'Grab their balls and their hearts and minds will follow'."
Unfortunately, here in Tejas it isn't getting better, it's getting worse. Ridiculous smoking bans are crushing businesses in Dallas where I live and everywhere else. Here it's the government and the fools we keep electing at the city and county levels that are causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.