PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
OK, so I know most of the threads going on right now are about the Chicago show and MacBaren HH Latakia Flake. Over the weekend I was messing around on You Tube (thanks decigar) and looking at flake methods and other odds and ends and came upon this video. The presenter, "Jay" is a pretty personable dude and I watched the whole video. Then I watched the method again, and again. My 9 yr old daughter asked me if something was wrong as she kept hearing the same thing over and over coming from my laptop. She caught some interest and actually came over and asked if she could help and loaded my pipe per the video.
Z method
I recently posted Per Jensen's YT video of flake prep and liked it a LOT but found that method only worked well for me if my chamber depth was on the high side of 6 in (jest of course). I had to keep cutting and snipping off the tops of my shorter pipes which caused some discombobulation in the packing. I am sure Per would have packed it perfectly, but unfortunately he doesn't live in my neighborhood and I am left to my own devices.
This "Z" method seems to be a home run for a shorter chamber pipe. I smoked a bowl of Vauen 14 in my new Sav Rhodey and it was heaven. I was totally picking up the sweet nuances of the VA and was getting full, creamy plumes of smoke. Just thought I would share and see if anyone else has been using this method or to garner interest on yet a new way to pack a flake.
Cheers,
Dan

Reactions: vates

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I have been using it, after I saw it in the same video and it works fairly well in the suitable pipes. I like it more than the usual fold in half and stuff method, as the plug fits most pipes, I have, better, as you described. At the moment I have no flake open, but when I have I will use it again. Seems to have slipped my mind. Thanks for mentioning the method again.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Thank you I had see this video and was looking for it...

I have used this method to pretty good success.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Interesting video. When I do a fold and stuff, it is pretty similar to what he does as I can get one flake to fit into a group 4 sized pipe in one shot. That style of flake is probably the easiest for folding and stuffing as it is very pliable. If you take a flake such as Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, it is more difficult because it is a heavier and denser flake and not the same size. The flake shown in the video is similar to the following flakes, Dunhill Flake, Fribourg& Treyer CVP, F&T Vintage and Special Brown, Rotary Navy Cut, John Aylesbury Luxury Flake, Capstan Blue and Gold Flake, Wessex Brown Virginia, Brigham Klondike Gold, Solani 633. All of these flakes are really easy to fold and stuff. Flakes like SG Best Brown, FVF, St James, Peterson University, Irish Flake, Mac Baren ODF are all denser and trickier to fold and stuff, so they take more practice.

One of the reasons I do enjoy cube cutting so much is because of the differences in the styles of flakes. Cubing just makes things more consistent for me.
Flakes are worth any time and trouble I have to deal with because of how intense the flavors become. If you have never tried a flake tobacco you should seriously consider doing so. I have smoked every different cut of tobacco available on the market and for my money, nothing beats a flake for flavor and cool burning.
There should actually be a law stating that anyone who has not tried a flake withing their first two weeks of taking up the pipe, needs to have their pipes confiscated and they should not be allowed to smoke another day until they have tried it. There should also be a law stating that jag offs like me should not be allowed to post their inane drivel on public websites like this. :crazy:

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Thanks for posting the video yazamitaz i haven't worked on flakes yet but definitely will.Got some good recommendations on baccy that's flake cut from the stud himself cigrmaster.Man everything he recommended was back ordered.But i did get like 5 of his recommendations.I do follow that gentleman in the video above I'm subscribed to his youtube cast.Hes got a killer baccy cellar as well.When i do get the flake and try the method I'll tune in and let ya'll know how it goes.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
There should actually be a law stating that anyone who has not tried a flake withing their first two weeks of taking up the pipe, needs to have their pipes confiscated and they should not be allowed to smoke another day until they have tried it. There should also be a law stating that jag offs like me should not be allowed to post their inane drivel on public websites like this.
Any chance you are from Pittsburgh? The Jag Off was a dead giveaway. :)

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I used this method almost exclusively for a month or so after watching this same video. It does work quite well, but I eventually reverted back to the old style fold n' stuff method. The old style just feel more natural to me I guess.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
settersbrace, not from Pittsburgh, but from the " Hub of The Universe" Boston. Never knew Jag Off was a Pittsburgh thing, we have been using it since I was a kid along with wicked pissa. lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_nicknames
More recently it is known as the City of Champions for having 8 world championships in a span of 14 years( 2000-2014) in all of the major sports. 3 Super Bowls, 3 World Series, 1 Stanley Cup and 1 NBA championship. Growing up as a kid it was all about the Celtics 11 championships in 13 years with a streak of 8 in a row. It was the greatest dynasty in the history of American sports. I used to go to Boston Garden all the time along with Fenway Park, 2 bucks to get into the Garden and 2.50 for the Sox. I grew up 2.5 miles from Fenway. I grew up being tortured by the Sox, never thought the Curse of The Bambino would ever be broken. My dad died before he ever got to see them win a W.S.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Hey, thanks for that vid - I'll give it a shot next time. I have lots of flakes, I've tried flakes, I WANT to like them, but I absolutely SUCK at flakes. I think I'm probably smoking them too wet and I haven't really learned to pack them right. This looks easy enough to at least try a few times.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Glad this post was well received.
Harris - I do cube cut as well per your many posts saying how you get great flavor from it. I just need more practice with it.
Your inane drivel is ALWAYS welcome my friend :)

Dec 24, 2012
That is essentially the method I use for most of my flakes, though I thought this was what fold and stuff meant. Great video. I love ZZ Top and I never knew Bill Gibbons smoked a pipe.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for posting this! I have tried a fold and stuff with flakes and only really get it to work with LBF. I have to rub out the others but I am smoking some LNF with this method and sure is pretty nice. I didn't get a perfect plug in the end but it was close enough. :rofl:
Thanks again!

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
I just tried this method with some ODF in my Tekin MeerQueen. I have never had much success with flakes that are not rubbed out. I followed the instructions and that was the best bowl of flake tobacco I ever smoked. It stayed lit and the flavors I got were much deeper than if I had rubbed the ODF out. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.