PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here is my 1917 trench watch which I still wear every day and it keeps pretty good time!
image1-124_zpsec4o3eyg.jpg

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
That's a beauty! I love watches, had a bunch of them at one time but sold most when Swiss watch prices shot up a few years ago. The cost of servicing them was becoming an unsustainable expense, unfortunately. The two I most regretted selling were a Breitling Navitimer (the only chronograph I owned, and the most expensive to keep serviced) and a Doxa Clive Cussler diver. Loved that orange dial. It just wouldn't run well, maybe a lemon, idk.
The ones I kept were my Rolex Sub, a 2-tone Oyster Date (the quintessential 80's Yuppie accessory, and so ubiquitous it hasn't kept pace monetarily...I took off the 2-tone bracelet and put on a Rolex alligator band to give it a fresh/retro look), a Panerai Luminor Marina 41mm, Omega manual-wind Speedy Moon, and Omega 90's Bond (pre-coaxial, another that hasn't really kept up monetarily).
Due to lack of water resistance I shied away from vintage watches, other than Omega Seamasters which are as resistant as modern non-diver watches.
That said my daily wearers are Casios, a Pathfinder and a G-Shock. Both are solar, which I like. I've got a drawer full of quartz watches I need to replace batteries on, never seem to get around to it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have worn that thing for ever. I still have the shrapnel guard for it as well. It loses a few minutes every week but on the whole keeps pretty good time. It has the double back case common with so many WW1 trench watches and I think cost my Uncle Charles Thirty Shillings new in 1917 and he wore until he died and then I got it so its has been pretty good value for 100 years service.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
My everyday knockabout watch is this Invicta Pro Diver. Keeps crazy accurate time, and the self winding movement has worked flawlessly so far. I love the classic style, and the fact it very closely resembles the Rolex Submariner doesn't hurt either.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have an old Omega Seamaster. Probably from the 50's. I bought it used for next to nothing and had it refurbished for 150.00. It keeps excellent time and doesn't draw any undue attention
Also, it's a manual wind. Every morning I have to wind it up and I like that. I hope it lasts forever.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Yes like a cell phone clock but worn on the wrist. They are very popular with the 'in' crowd and I believe George Clooney is wearing one as well. Best you dash out and buy one before everyone else catches on to this new fashion trend! :rofl:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
My everyday knockabout watch is this Invicta Pro Diver.
Yeah that's the one I've got except mine's all stainless w/black dial just like my Sub. I bought it to put on a striped cloth band like Sean Connery wore in Thunderball. The only drawback is it's not a hacking movement, but unless you're anal or planning a bank heist it's not an issue.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hacking means that the movement stops when the crown is pulled out, also allows for precise synchronization. The hacking feature usually also comes with a hand winding feature. After the issues with my non-hacking Seiko, I wouldn't buy another. The hacking movements also offer a better overall system for regulation, longevity, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.