Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
White Knight is one of my favourite balkan blends but it gives me a bad case of tongue bite almost each time. I do not have this problem with other strong/balkan/english blends such as Abingdon or Nightcap. It comes rather dry and I have already tried to moisten it a bit, but that does not improve things. Anyone has the same problem?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Try it in a cob. I stopped after 1 tin, left a chemical taste in my mouth, and like Balkan Supreme much better, but the cob should take some of the edge off. You may also have issues with the red Virginia in it. Have heard a couple of forum members say they can't smoke anything with red Virginia's.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I had the same problem with White Knight and it's sister blend Black House. They both smoke best on the dry side for me, but I have to smoke them very slowly, and just accept a lot of re-lights. I never did get to where I could completely trust either one, so I finally just stopped trying.
I'm sure it's my fault (and probably yours, too) as they seem to be very popular blends. Other people don't seem to have too much trouble but they are definitely prone to biting me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
CD Super Balkan has not given me any bite. Likewise, Russ O.'s experimental M-61 Balkan.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yea, it bites me too. Maybe the red V's, but I really believe it's the orientals.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Never really cared for White Knight as it seemed to have a rather odd and unpleasant taste that I didn't care for. As for any bite I've never encountered any.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
ThomasMartin: Actually WK was designed to be a match of the 1970s Balkan Sobranie, not the version you and I smoked in the early 2000s. What we smoked was different in several ways: less latakia and very little red Virginia.
Try smoking it with a pipe that has a filter. That will help reduce bite potential. And smoke slowly.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Never really cared for White Knight as it seemed to have a rather odd and unpleasant taste that I didn't care for. As for any bite I've never encountered any.
My experience exactly.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I love Black House, I mean really love it, like it's one of my top three tobaccos all time kind of love and so I really wanted to love White Knight, but it just wasn't in the cards. I've never tried so hard to find a way to enjoy a tobacco as I did with WK. I must have smoked three tins, in ten different pipes, briar and meerschaum group 3, 4 and 5, blasted and smooth etc. but it always tasted just.....meh. I really enjoy the new version of Sobranie and hate that it's so difficult to find, I wish I could just stock up on White Knight, but it just didn't work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.