PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I can never resist a bargain and I can equally never resist a can of vintage tobacco. Usually when I come across these 'cutter' top cans I send them off to a chum of mine who likes to do tastings of what I describe as 'old stuff' whilst some others on here would describe as rare unicorn turds! As you are all probably well aware, through the kindness and generosity of a few members on here we were able to source a few specimens of the original 'War Horse Bar' for our little project which aroused such passions and heated debate. So you can imagine my delight when the item below showed up on that well known auction site for fake Dunhill pipes. We have in the past had a reasonable number of late 1970s red plastic shrink wrapped War Horse Bars that had surfaced from an Irish fellow who was selling off the contents of his Uncles corner shop that had been closed up since 1980.These were very similar in look and feel to the current Condor Plugs that are still available with the exception of having the words 'War Horse' stamped on them. Then this surfaced. An original, sealed, unopened factory pack of 8 original War Horse Bars in the red paper wrappers with silver paper and cellophane as delivered to a corner store from the factory circa early 1970s with the recommended price on the packages outer wrapper! Enjoy.
938321535_tp_zpspfgyrfel.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here is a better shot of the whole package literally as it left the factory and was delivered to the local corner shop. As an after thought the price of 34 1/2 p indicates this was packed after decimal currency was introduced in 1971 and that would have been equal to the equivalent USD $0.69 cents at the time!
938321512_tp_zpsbrb4ooht.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Tim I'm telling once you have discovered road tar there is no going back! Its sort of like those 'crack pipes' I mean Falcon Pipes that you and that 'German' seem to enjoy retro-engineering into even shorter 'crack pipes' I mean pipes...... well sort of pipes!! :rofl:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How excellent for you and those of us you'll be sending a pouch to! Soooo looking forward to the experience.
Great score, Simon, and enjoy the hell out of it....

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Simon, that's my fear. The smell of asphalt in the morning......it smells like victory War Horse!!!
Having had my fun with that...I actually like War Horse and Pig Tail type fare, I'm just a nic sissy.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
WHAT THE WHAT!? NICE SCORE! I'm...I'm speachless....
Oh how I would love to sample one of those plugs to compare it to the current versions. Hint hint, wink wink...
P.S. The title threw me off, shouldn't it be T.A.D instead of P.A.D? I'm probably really throwing away any chance I may or may not have had of sampling one of those plugs... damn it!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
An original, sealed, unopened factory pack of 8 original War Horse Bars in the red paper wrappers with silver paper and cellophane as delivered to a corner store from the factory circa early 1970s
8O :crying: :clap: :worship:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hawky, I believe Simon did a Freudian slip. He knows it really is Pavement Acquisition Disorder, but tries to pass it off as tobacco. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.