PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

popeofpiping

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2017
So like many of you I have spent a few years aquiring different pipes, from estates to artisans I have built up a modest little collection. With pipes ranging into the hundreds of dollars I have come to the sad fact that, one of my $14 dollar cobbs is by far one of the best smokers in the group. If it wasn’t for the love of the hobby and collecting I’m not sure I’d ever need anything else than a good flake and a cob.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For shear smoking pleasure, quality cobs (MM and Old Dominion) are all you need. Briars and Meerschaum have added pleasure for finish, feel, and patina, but they aren't going to excel cobs in quality smoking. It's almost a philosophical point in there somewhere.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Out of the wilderness of confusion and opinion a single, small voice again points to a simple truth: pipes smoke far more the same than the do differently.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[With pipes ranging into the hundreds of dollars I have come to the sad fact that, one of my $14 dollar cobbs is by far one of the best smokers in the group.]
To the cobbs I would add the clay pipes, which I consider in absolute the best as they don't alter tobacco flavor in any way, which are also very cheap ranging from around 10 $ for the old tavern style to 50-60 $ for the double walled models like the Lepeltier.

But this is not a sad true, there are people who looks at pipes just as a smoking machine and others looks at them also for their aesthetics, neither one is right or wrong.

popeofpiping

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2017
Your all are correct. It is not a sad fact but a welcoming fact that the pipe snob in me died a little more.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"Briars and Meerschaum have added pleasure for finish, feel, and patina, but they aren't going to excel cobs in quality smoking."
This is exactly how I feel. I love my briars for many reasons, but not because they smoke better than cobs.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I love my cobs, never fail. I think I've come to the conclusion that I do not like Virginia's in a Meer. Their ok in a cob, but are better in a briar. I love Englishes in a cob, but I've heard of tons of folks that can't stand them in a cob. Aromatics are better in a cob, but some are better ina briar. Go figure.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have come to the sad fact that, one of my $14 dollar cobbs is by far one of the best smokers in the group.
Mine range from a couple of dollars up to $750. My PAD is mostly behind me, and cobs are hands down the best smoking pipes in the group. I've also discovered that my focus shape, the "yachtsman" can very often be had for under $30. No more pipes more than that for me since I found that cost does not equate a better smoke.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Good to hear you like cobs and admit the money doesn't make a smoke any better. :)

I prefer briars because they last longer and don't smell as much as cobs after smoking. Not being a collector I don't worry about costs, got 7 decent briars (from 70 to 200 $) which hurt my budget pretty badly but that should be it for many years, hopefully decades.

upnorth1

Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
I outsmoke the briars with the cobs. I keep a "traveller"pouch at the ready for quick excursions and it contains a cob. If I reach for the rack without too much thought I usually pick out a cob.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
When I want to smoke with little fuss & the likelihood of good results I’ll often grab a cob. I don’t prefer them for every blend, but they do a good job for most of them.
- Mac

btwes7

Lifer
Jul 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I've actually never "worn out" a cob, and also have a modest collection of Briars (Petes, Ferndowns, Caminettos, etc). Smoke a cob probably 10 to one over Briars. Would like to get and try a good clay someday.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I own a few cobs, one of which hasn't been smoked. It's ready to gift to a friend who wants to start. I smoke my briars 100:1 vs. cobs.

I don't think anyone has ever told me to my face that the more expensive pipes smoke any better than the cheaper pipes. Corncobs vary for me though. Being a corn farmer, I just associate some of the aromas from the cob as... unpleasant to my tastes. However, a corncob and a pack of Carter Hall, and I can get anything that needs to be done outside done with a smile.

Reactions: Dave4211
Status
Not open for further replies.