Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Chain smoking cigarettes is obviously not good for you. Unfortunately, the great majority of the public doesn't know that a leisurely, occasional luxury smoke, like a cigar or pipe, can actually help you relax and keep you healthier. See below.
paul-perri-rick-newcombe.jpg

Here are two men who enjoy moderate pipe smoking as an ideal antidote to stress to help them live happy, relaxed and youthful lives. Paul Perri (left), age 95, and Rick Newcombe, age 65. “You live longer with a pipe,” said Ed Kolpin, founder of a pipe store in Santa Monica in 1928, which became known as the original Tinder Box, and he ran the store until his death in 2007, at the age of 97.
The above photo and caption was sent in my Rick Newcombe. Rick is the author of several pipe books, a collector of high-grade pipes, and founder of Creators Syndicate—the first successful independent newspaper and internet syndication company since the 1930s.
Rick is also one of the very first members to join PipesMagazine.com when it launched in 2009. He was also one of the first believers in this digital magazine and community when many others were skeptical.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Wow I never would have guessed the gentleman on the left was 95.
Also besides stress reduction we know now that nicotine helps prevent the onset of dementia.

rnewcombe

Lurker
May 15, 2009
Paul Perri is a California pipe maker who works with extremely old Calabrian briar. There is a chapter about him in my book, "In Search of Pipe Dreams."

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Improving quality of life also seems to improve health. Some swear by the coffee enemas however.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I remember reading somewhere (although I can't remember exactly where - senior moment!) that the government's own statistics show that moderate pipe smokers live three years longer than the average person. But we all know the Antis don't want to be confused by the facts, their minds are made up.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
You're welcome Kevin.
Thanks Mr. Newcombe. I need to pick up a copy of both "In Search of Pipe Dreams" and "Still Searching For Pipe Dreams".
I'm hoping to get them as a Christmas present for myself. Stick it under the tree and then pretend I don't know who put it there come Christmas morning.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I was shocked when my doctor told me that he had no problem with me smoking a pipe as long as I didn't inhale. He even said that nicotine can be helpful but the chemicals and tars in tobacco are harmful. I would guess that pipe tobacco is the least harmful of the tobaccos.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Rick Newcombe advocates enlarging the draft hole on pipes and I agree with him . There are some that argue against this practice . I have changed how a pipe smoke for the better by doing this.

I would be interested in hearing others both pro and con on this practice!

hoo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder what drug promotes calming of the mind, lifting the mood, de-stressing, composing ones thoughts, indulging in relaxed gentle conversation, perhaps sitting outdoors, strolling, engaging with creative thinking, and assuming a meditative frame of mind. Wouldn't that be a big boon to mankind? Hmmm, let me see what that might be.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
MSO, perhaps pipe smoking should be encouraged... a great bliss-out... sounds like what the hippies wanted, but more realistic.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
My doctor dips Skoal so he ain't got no right to talk! More people are dying because of too much McDonalds and artificial food ingredients than Pipe Tobacco. Yes, I capitalized Pipe Tobacco, because its worthy of it. I am an EMT and I see what kills patients, it's not tobacco!

rnewcombe

Lurker
May 15, 2009
For smokinfireman ... tell your doctor about this book http://www.amazon.com/Smokers-Only-Smokeless-Tobacco-Save-ebook/dp/B00JDNIXL8/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me= It is written by an oral pathologist who has spent a lifetime studying the effects of chewing tobacco, and his findings are startling -- how safe it is. The exceptions are certain types of smokeless tobacco, but he says the vast majority are 98 percent safer than cigarettes.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
The other night, during a quick visit to the E.R. (nothing too serious) the attending physician read my chart, and asked, "You're a smoker?"
"Cigars a couple times a year; and pipes -- on and off -- throughout the year."
"Ehh, that doesn't count," he said, "and your birthday's coming up. Relax! Grab a couple of beers, your pipe, and indulge."
Doctor's orders!

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
@ rnewcombe
That looks like a good read. I'm gonna have to get that for myself too. Iv'e heard folks that want me to quit tell me that chew is safer, and this looks interesting. Thanks

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.