PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I am further disheartened by the private messages that I have received such as "go suck an egg", then they went downhill from there.

You should publicly post them. It might get shut down but it would be a good read! There's a lot of members who have gotten way to cliquey and comfortable here and think that a post count is something more than time on their hands. 8O

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I think a lot of the problem with the post is the person was unknown member. He has not been around long enough to know the forum or for us to know him for that post. Whether he meant to be a troll and sling mud or not, it came across as such. As others have said it comes across as pointing fingers saying you are a bunch of snobs and I am here to fix it. Then when he did not get the responses he wanted it got worse. I feel that if he would have spent more time here observing the forum and participating he would have seen that there is not a lot of the elitism going on here and as a community we try to help everyone we can. Instead he now has a bad taste and looks like he is leaving.
If the original post was truly meant for a discussion it was badly written and really did point fingers. I wish the op would have fixed things before they escalated to where they are now and to his last post in that thread..
To pwkarch.. You are calling the people here thin skinned and you said you were in the navy, I served in the army for 10 years. Your posts you are coming across as being thin skinned. Take this with love from a fellow veteran. If you truly were impressed with the members knowledge here, suck it up. Take this experience and learn from it. Start over here and get to know everyone. We are a good bunch of guys and gals and if you are sincere would love you to stay. We will accept you no matter what pipe you smoke or what tobacco you smoke in that pipe. Try not to come off as a know it all jerk trying to fix something before you know if it is broken. I am not calling you a know it all jerk so please dont take it as I am. I really hope to see you stick around, but if you decide to go I wish you the best.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I just went back to reread his posts in the closed thread. I just don't get all the butt hurt in the responses to his O.P. and his responses.
[/quote]I apologize if I offended ANYONE personally, that was not my intention. I am amazed that others do not see what I was trying to say. I was trying to add a subject for discussion.
How dare he insult us like that, the swine ! Get the tar and feathers !

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Let me help you out davet what people are getting upset about
I see on this and other forums folks that assume they are holier than thou because they smoke a certain type or blend that in their minds elevates them to some self imposed lofty tobacco position
So please keep up the good ribbing, but those of you who are in a self described special place because of your choices, knock it off. I think at least some of you know who you are.
Nothing like a new guy coming into someones house saying how they are acting and telling them what to do. Nothing in the original first post was asking for a discussion, it was just a preaching session and ended with this. Then when he did not get the response he expected, he decided to insult the community again.

OK....perhaps "snobs" was a poor choice of words. If I knew that a bunch of people were going to get their panties in a bunch I would have used softer language. I like "elitist" which in a broad sense is a synonym of sorts in my mind.

So, assuming everyone here is at least a "big boy"
The thread did not bother me as I could care less, but I can see others point of view.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Thanks for that Tarheel, I can see where some one may take it the wrong way, I get that, but read it again without any negative impressions. The man is new and made a post looking for discussion and got a ton of grief for it. Read some of the replies there and replies to this thread, not just mean but outright insulting and against forum rules. His responses were much more civil than mine would have been.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Whether he was a troll or not is nothing more than speculation without verification or admission. What I saw was blood in the water and an ensuing feeding frenzy.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Wading in..
Gentlemen...I've never seen the reason for Internet feuds or finger wagging. I've been at this forum thing too long to take comments very seriously and have hurt feelings. I wished many would tread lightly when posting and be a bit kinder.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
couldn't*

Thanks for that Georged. That is correct. Not feeling too well with my migraine and really should not be on the computer. I should have caught that.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Thanks for that Tarheel, I can see where some one may take it the wrong way, I get that, but read it again without any negative impressions. The man is new and made a post looking for discussion and got a ton of grief for it. Read some of the replies there and replies to this thread, not just mean but outright insulting and against forum rules. His responses were much more civil than mine would have been.
I agree with that and that's why I tried to explain it to him in a friendly manner and encourage him to stick around. Hope he reads it and follows my advice.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Don't post a PM, that's a scumbag thing to do. If the mods will take care of it, send it to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.