PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad, I hate having to moderate you the most, because I have the most respect for you and your vast knowledge of the world. I see what Toob is saying. I cannot speak for all of the moderators, but I cannot be on every thread all the time. I am usually working on something and going back and forth between reality and here. So, I cannot redirect every nuance. The "threat of violence" was just the first thing I could think of, as my pipey senses were tingling to close it. If I could watch all threads, I could better redirect and such, and I could be a lot more fair. But, sometimes I just have to pull the trigger and then let Kevin decide whether I have done correctly.
This isn't easy, especially since I am friends with so many of you guys, if not all of you. But, I do what I can to protect what I feel like is the best place on the Internet FIRST, and then the individuals seccond. You are always welcome to PM me, as several of you did immediately after I closed the thread, and ultimately, you may go to my bossman. But, I probably worry more about threads going off rails more than You realize.
...and, I realize that I am also a sarcastic goof myself, as most of you may know. I've been working hard to be a role model :::cough cough::: as I know that I now represent management as well as myself. And, I'm still working on that. Please bare with me, and feel free to call me out in a PM if I am not exemplifying positive PM.com qualities.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Georged- This is the second time I've seen you post that "this" is why pipe forums are dying. In all seriousness, and with all due respect, which is a lot, I don't understand what you mean by "this". Which "this" are you referring to as the culprit?

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Guess what, boys...

"Just kidding" -- doesn't cut it:

Being unseen, online, unknowing of the reaction, and/or no matter how obvious the target appears.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I apologize for butting in, but the original OP was nothing more or less than a "troll post". If any one who has ever moderated a group could mistake it for anything but what it was, then you are one lucky group owner for not having encountered this beast. It was meant to instigate and the follow-up post, 70-something posts later, of innocence is classic to this type of troll to add fuel to the fire and to create confusion within the thread or whatever. Trolling 101.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I'm just going to post this up and I'm done with this thread :(
No Rudeness or Personal Attacks
10. While we honor passionate and informed discussion we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts.
'Rudeness' means deliberately discourteous comments directed at another member. 'Insulting posts' are those that treat another member with deliberate rudeness and contempt. 'Purposeless inflammatory posts' are posts that are designed purely to provoke a reaction and cause an unpleasant argument.
Such behaviour is not tolerated here.
We take a very firm line on these forums regarding personal attacks, so it is important for all members to understand the difference between disagreeing with the content of another member's posts, and making a personal attack on someone.
Our definition of a 'personal attack' includes:
attacking a member's motivation for a post

attacking a member's character

referring to a member in a contemptuous manner

belittling a member using sarcasm

making negative or rude statements about administrators or moderators

attacking people or groups based on race, age, gender, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.
Disagreeing with comments made in another member's post does not constitute a personal attack. Members are allowed to refute the comments of other members and provide reasons why they don't agree. A member may also choose to contradict a comment and provide very little evidence to support their comments, and this does not count as a personal attack either. When a member chooses to attack the author of a post rather than the content of the post, that is a personal attack. Please keep your focus on the facts of the topic under discussion - not on the person with whom you disagree.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
As a new guy here, I've seen nothing but good natured joking. I laughed through the entirety of the original thread. But even I was a bit taken aback by a thread called "Tobacco Snobs." Coming from the world of music forums - where there are plenty of people eager to tell you the band you listen to is no good - I was excited to find a community that could 1.) joke with each other and 2.) not call people out for what they like.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
All this kinda makes me think of the "old cogers" we reverently talk about here. Guys who picked from 3 Otc's settled on one smoked a pipe till it croaked. Repeat. These gentlemen fought and died so we can pick apart and imply wisdom on thousands of blends and pipes. Most if not all here truly appreciate the exchanges. Me included Our worst problem if is someone is a dick for celleraing. Second is god forbid we in America have to pay for the ride we've had You call me a snob? Ouch. I get it that this is a business and that interests have to be preserved. I'm a business owner as well I would of... well it's your business.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I too am a relative noob round these parts but not to forums. I've been a member on an aviation forum for some 8 years or so. Nothing as frustrating as having a troll showing up intentionally causing problem. I here it's pretty common on the gamer sites, guess that's why I pretty much limit my forum time to forums with grownups.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
53e8060bd47d3e4a841d61c2ec7f9d4a.jpg

Nothing as frustrating as having a troll showing up intentionally causing problem.
RULES STATE;

Our definition of a 'personal attack' includes:
attacking a member's motivation for a post

attacking a member's character
I saw absolutely no trolling in the O.P but in the replies....... :crazy:

pwkarch

Lurker
Feb 10, 2017
Gentlemen and Gentlewomen
I am somewhat taken aback relative to the negative comments made on my posts. I am further disheartened by the private messages that I have received such as "go suck an egg", then they went downhill from there. Obviously a private message usurps the forum rules? Well, I ASSUME that probably 99% of you are great folks, but there are those who are rude and vulgar. So, your negative responses have shown me that some of you were/ are a.) unable to understand my post, b.)paranoid, or c.)just unfriendly people.
I understand joking around, I do it as well. I know how to get along with all types of people having spent years in the Navy. So I have been around the block several times. I was even called a "troll" by several people here.
So if some of you are thin skinned and take everything said personally, and cannot discuss anything other than through rose colored glasses, I do not want to associate with those people even though they are in the minority. Instead of a prompting of "shooting the messenger' the initial post was intended to constructively discuss this issue that seems to be endemic on many forums and threads. I would have loved to have seen logical points, positive or negative on the subject in lieu of a bunch of put downs.
So I bid you ado, .....and that is a shame as I was greatly impressed with some of you members and your knowledge. I will spend my time on another forum.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I would have waited a minute before I got controversial Pwkarch. And I would caution you to wait until You are a senior member before posting a comment on FDA/Tax/Political threads. Your dealing with people, most are thin skinned....even more so on forums. You'll be back. Pipesmagazine.com is as good as it gets. Kevin and Co. do an exceptional job under the conditions.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
I would caution you to wait until You are a senior member before posting a comment on FDA/Tax/Political threads.
Not at all necessary if you're being civil at all. I'm sure you and I did'nt wait when we joined. The member who did the most complaining in that post and this one has been a member for three months. Doesn't stop him from being the most vocal and calling members out for his own perceived slights in many threads.

Just sayin and no offence meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.