PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
This was shared back in the day but thought I'd revisit it.

Scored on eBay as NOS, what I believe to be a pre-Savinelli Rossi squashed tomato sort of shape. I call it The Thing, after the Marvel character sporting a similar finish.

Not a great clencher at all but a nice, broad chamber I use for SPC Potlatch and other latakia blends.

Reactions: rushx9

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
That is, well, that is a pipe.
This pipe doesn't suit my sense of aesthetics but whatever floats your boat and butters your biscuit. You shouldn't care what I think anyway. That said, I think it would've looked better with just a smooth finish instead of that rustication.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To answer the question from 'berg, yes, Savinelli bought Rossi in recent years, or maybe not so recent. Many of the current Rossi shapes are similar to, and numbered similar to, the Savinelli line. I like pipes of somewhat lighter weight than the monster, but I have two Rossi pipes, a prince and a yacht, and find them good. The first Sav made Rossi were a little rough in stain and stamping, but they have gotten quite good and behave much like good Savinelli.

Reactions: BROBS and jpberg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reminds me a little of a pine cone. Having a 'different' looking pipe just mixes up the rotation, nothing wrong with that.

When I think of 'the Thing', I think of this though
thing_1974_mecum_207.ashx

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The pipedia history on Rossi is a little sketchy, but I think Rossi and Savinelli owners were close friends, and eventually Sav took over Rossi management, rescuing it from closing, around 1985. This seems to have been between friends, so the details were not spelled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.