PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Canadian family of long-shanked straight billiard-bowled pipes have always seemed to me to be the stateliest shapes. These include the Canadian shape itself, oval shanked with a tapered stem; the Lumberman, oval shanked with saddle stem; Liverpool, round shank with tapered stem; and Lovat, round shank with saddle stem. Some Lovats seem to have standard or shorter stems with the saddle stem, as a variation on the shape. I have three Canadians -- a Benton, a Johs, and a Stanwell. I always feel, well, stately smoking them. I also have a Lovat, another Johs, but with the short-short shank, not as stately but portable and a good smoker.
Here's a pipedia link: https://pipedia.org/wiki/Canadian
How do you like Canadian shapes?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I'm not much of a fan. Of those mentioned, the Lovat is most to my liking, and I have seen a few that I would consider buying. The others seem unbalanced to me. Like tall guys with very short legs.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not much of a fan of straight pipes myself. How is an inanimate object stately?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have no Canadian pipes in my collection. I have plenty of Billiards, a few Lovats, lots of apples and Dublins, Rhodesians and Brandy's. The longest pipes in my collection are two Lovats at about 6.5 inches long. All my other pipes are 5.0-6.0 inches long.
When I look at a Canadian there is just something about it that I don't care for.

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
I’m not sure about stately but I have really come to like the long stemmed straights myself. I never paid much attention to them until I picked up a Bones Lovat and got to like the shape. The extra wood adds some nice visual interest.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I love the canadian shape. So far I only have one, a Brigham Klondike, but I am a big fan of straight classic shapes, and I am a big fan of long stems, so canadians are a natural match.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have several Canadians but this one at 9" is a stunner to me.
otxMM9Y.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have several Canadians but this one at 9" is a stunner to me
Holy shitballs! That pipe is a stunner for sure! Especially at 9 inches! Truly beautiful pipe. What is that thing?

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Canadian is one of my favourite shapes.
There is some kind of understated elegance to it, especially when there is no embellishments.

I also have a sense of 'more wood for the money' so to speak, more briar to look at.

Like to think that the long briar shank cools the smoke down and I am no fan of nose warmers.
Currently there is two Stanwells and one Savinelli in my rotation.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
My actual favourite shape is Lovat. Second is Liverpool followed by Lumberman and Canadian. I really love the way they smoke thanks to the long shank. Plus, they look very nice and elegant. I have Brebbia and Peterson Lovats and a BBB Liverpool. I sold my Savinelli 804KS Canadian, it was a very unpractical giant pipe - too long, too heavy and too big. But I'm planning to buy a normal-sized Lumberman (806) and a Canadian (802) as well from Savinelli and/or Brebbia. I like the classic look of Dunhills too but until I can buy 3-4-5 normal-priced good quality pipes for the price of one Dunhill, I'm not considering it as a possibility.
Actually, this new Peterson (Aran 53) is my first Peterson pipe without any issues, I wanted to make a post about it, it is an excellent pipe and smoke how I expected from a Peterson. Brebbias smoke like a dream as always, it is my absolute favourite producer. Hopefully I will have some free time somewhere during the next week and I will take and upload photos.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I'm with workman, long shank and short stem make for an unbalanced pipe.
A short shanked lovat is my favorite shape because it looks so utilitarian

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Love the Canadian shape, and love that one Papipe guy. Not all grab me though, I had a Sav 804KS that just didn't grab me and I sold. Not sure why, but I try not to duplicate things in my collection - so I only have one presently

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How is an inanimate object stately? It must be by association. In the same way that perhaps a majority really like the bulldog shape, but others wouldn't have one. So what are my associations that make Canadian shapes stately to me? I think it is simplicity, a little larger look even for medium size pipes, and the underlying demand for a somewhat bigger piece of briar for the purpose. There may be other aspects, but those are the conscious ones. To me, there is quite a non-verbal visual language to pipe shapes, almost a conversation, that makes pipe shapes art as well as tools.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
In the same way that perhaps a majority really like the bulldog shape, but others wouldn't have one.
This is so true, at least in my experience. I find the bulldog to be the single ugliest shape I have yet seen. I honestly can't say why, aesthetically they just make me want to barf. I just don't understand some peoples' (and makers') fascination with them. That and the giant Oom Pauls that look like Jabba the Hutt. I'd still take one of those over a bulldog in a heartbeat though.
Maybe they smoke like a dream?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can understand that. But I like bulldogs. But they are clunky and ungraceful, so the attraction, for some, is something else. A kind of sturdy practical look, for those who see them that way. I like churchwardens but not Cavaliers, which look stagy to me, but some folks like them a lot. I like the Peterson brandy/volcano B11, but it's not a generally admired shape. So it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.