PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I probably need to work on my technique, but I like to rub out flake, for a more even burn and fewer relights. With a standard size flake, like Mac Baren's or Orlik, I think a medium bowl is about 1 1/2 flakes.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
This LINK on the front page has a nice summary with videos, I think, (I'm currently behind a firewall, so videos are blocked for me) of several ways to prepare flake tobacco, cube-cutting included.
I don't know that cube-cutting those Watch City Slices would be effective, you'd just end up with a bunch of mini plugs!

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I think the size of the flake relates more to intended packaging and how its maker prepared it, rather than portion to be smoked. Further, however you prepare the flake, I think the essential result is that the fibers be broken apart in a way well enough that air can be reasonably drawn /through/ the tobacco. How you decide to achieve that, by twisting, rubbing, folding, compressing or some combo, will likely depend on the user and the size pipe it is going into, I think.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for the explanation chaps. I normally just rub out my flakes so will try cube cutting next. I did try 'fold & stuff' once but must have cocked it up somehow as it was a pig to keep it lit :oops:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.