PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a thing about not buying a pipe that is shorter than 5". I really dislike nose warmers as the smoke gets in my eyes. When I look at pipes I see tons of them as short as 4"-4.5. I have to assume that people must be buying them or no one would make them? This pipe for example is 3.97", would you buy something this short?
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/david-huber/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=255656

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The shortest I currently own is just over six inches. I loathe short pipes for their tendency of the rising smoke getting in my eyes.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I desists so called (NoseWarmers) at the time they came out everyone flocked to the new fad. I agree with Steve, smoke gets in my eyes and for the life of me I couldn’t stand looking crosseyed while lighting my pipe.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I can't say I own a particularly short pipe. I suppose my shortest would be a lovat that is a touch under the 5-inch mark but I wouldn't mind owning a shorter pipe and certainly will at some point. I was a cigarette smoker for a long time so smoke in the eye is not something that concerns me. Actually, my full bents are persistent offenders when it comes to smoke in the eye.
Short is fine for me but I don't fancy the one you linked much.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
I have one that is just over 3.5" and I have no idea how I should smoke it, especially because I am a clencher. I bought it as a cleaned estate because it was dirt cheap yet the blast looks great. I think it's time to test it out.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
One of my first pipes was a Baraccini "pocket" pipe, about 4.25" long. Like a scaled down "real" pipe, it's a nice 10 minute smoke when the occasion demands it.
I use it less and less these days, but, on a long road trip, using a smoke free rental vehicle, it's nice to squeeze in a quick puff or two at stops.
baraccini-135-600x337.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
The shortest I own that I smoke is a Missouri Meerschaum Lil' Devil Acorn that's just about 4.5 inches. I do have a cob that's much smaller, that came in the Cornell & Diehl blending kit, but it really never gets used. My shortest briars are Moonshine Pipe Co. Deviled Eggs which are just a hair longer than the cob. Most of my pipes are not short but the length isn't a deal breaker for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just went to measure my shortest pipe and it is actually 5.25 inches long, not sure why I thought it was shorter. When I look at pipes to buy, I normally look for 5.5-6.00. The big stubby look like the one I linked to was an example of a pipe I just don't understand what makes it attractive to people. It looks so disproportionate to my eye.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I have a 4.77" Castello.. It's a wonderful pipe. I clench it exclusively and I've never had a problem with "smoke eye".

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
An Al Pascia Curvy smooth with wonderful grain. 4.5" long. A fine smoker but only really clenchable outdoors.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
By short pipe I mean any pipe shorter than 5"; in those terms, I do own a few short pipes which I don't use often. The exception being on trips. I should sell my short ones to someone who'd appreciate them more :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.