PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The original post shows off the puppy's bright black and white markings; the later post makes him look all gray or black, but I think that's just lighting. I like regularly given people names for dogs and cats, like Paul, Janice, and Edgar. However, I named one of the two younger male cat sibs Garland, which is an old Southern male name, but it didn't stick, he just never responded to it. So mostly we call him Lefty, since he seems predominantly left pawed. His bro came to us named Fred. Their "aunt," some years older and really no relation, was named Bella by my wife before that became the number one pet name for female cats and dogs -- my wife takes all credit. Let us know what your little puppy gets named. He's a perfect size, a real dog, but not too vast a dog food reservoir.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The name "Oreo" is circling around the house, but if so, in secret he'll be "Captain Oreo", or "Calico Jack". :mrgreen:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
That a very cute pup you've got there Duane, nothing quite so wonderful as having a sleeping pup in your lap and a pipe in your mouth on a cold winters evening.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great story, and I'm glad he found a good home. Good thing he's ok with the cats. Oreo's a great name too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My childhood dog of many years was a springer-cocker mix, a real water dog of uncanny strength, all black, named George. He insisted on swimming in the Des Plaines River, jolly in the summer, but ardent and insistent diving through the ice for sticks in the winter, with little fat on his bones, and all fire in his eyes. Still have his picture on the wall sitting in front of an ancient family refrigerator.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Congratulations on your new companion. That was a really touching way you came together. I just get my animals from the pound or rescues. You actually got to get to know your dog before committing. Well done!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We have three not altogether peaceable cats, but we also have an outdoor visitor. Luckily she is well groomed and a little too well fed, and she likes to visit but then moves on along home. I've really enjoyed her little "chats" in the yard and on the car port. I suspect she tore open a bag of litter stored on the carport, perhaps thinking it was food. But mostly she's friendly and has a sweet little voice, and isn't cloying, visits and goes on her way. For a while I thought she was pregnant, but it soon became apparent that this was just her figure. Well fed girl.
Name that puppy! Or maybe the kids will do it. KIds come up with obvious names, Fluffy for cats and Spot or something for dogs, but that's okay. To them it's all thrillingly new, so the names to them are fresh as a breeze.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My eight year old brilliantly deduced that he was black and white like her favorite cookies, and the name Oreo is official. Even my three year old son has been chasing him around yelling, "O-eo! O-eo!". :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We call Bella, our little black and white American shorthair adopted stray kitten, now a mature adult, Little Black and White Cookie, after the bakery treat, a big cookie with half vanilla and half dark chocolate frosting, renowned in the state of New York and maybe other places. Oreo is a good name, short and descriptive, and so far as I know, not over-used.

Status
Not open for further replies.