The Ruth Pipe Co. of St. Louis (and previously New York)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruth Pipe Co

Lurker
Apr 19, 2018
My great-great-great grandfather owned a pipe co. in New York, then in St. Louis - the Ruth Pipe Co. From about 1860 to at least 1892. (In St. Louis, on Valentine St, where the Arch now stands..) I have a drawing of his patent for a corn cob compression method, but I don't have any info about his business or anything else. On the old Pipe Smoker Forum, "Lonestar" posted that he had a bill of sale with diagrams and such from 1892, but no one's really posted on that site since about 2012 - I'm wondering if anyone has come across any Ruth Pipe Co smoke pipes? Champion, Volcano, Dragon, perhaps? I know it's an awful lot of "not much" to go on, but any information is greatly appreciated!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can pull it together, it is a great piece of family history. You may be able to find some St. Louis historians who can direct you to additional documents. If you can track down a pipe or pipes, that would be a terrific find (if you haven't already). The Missouri Meerschaum people might also have some history on that. Sounds like a fun piece of historical detective work. Gosh, my great grandfather was around in 1860. Your people must start their families early.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Business licenses, tax records, city plotting's, business associations, banks, etc. should be a treasure trove of information. I suspect you'll be traveling, staring at microfilm, reading newspapers, writing lots of letters and generally getting dusty. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.