PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That was the point I was trying to make, or ask, that knowing all the above one cannot (or can they) look at a pipe and know in advance it will be one of those exceptional smokers?
Correct, which is where the reputation of the maker comes into play. And even then, there's no guarantee.
Barling went to extreme lengths to ensure the quality of the wood that it used, much more so than its competitors. They conducted their own harvesting operations in Algeria, did their own seasoning of the wood, their own cutting, their own shaping, etc. They literally controlled the product from the ground to the sales counter to the best of their ability. And while they produced excellent pipes, their product quality still varied. You don't know how well the pipe will smoke until it's smoked.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
IMO, the 5 senses are not entirely separate...they function in concert to a great extent. For those of us fortunate enough to have all 5 in working order, the only one that does not play an objective role in pipe smoking is hearing.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
"For those of us fortunate enough to have all 5 in working order, the only one that does not play an objective role in pipe smoking is hearing."
What about the snap, crackle and pop aromatics?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
What about the snap, crackle and pop aromatics?
Good point. Revise as follows:
For those unfortunate enough to smoke aromatics, all 5 senses are objectively involved.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I have wondered why pipe smokers are so concerned with how much folks are paying for their pipes
Every JTCooke pipe I get the email about seems to sell instantly in the $800+ price range and I just can't see them as $800 pipes but obviously someone does.
In a blind test I'm willing to bet very few could tell the difference between 40, 50 or 60 year old ladies some which are butt ugly snaggletooth and some very nice ladies.

Status
Not open for further replies.