PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
John, the engineering of the airway to keep gurgling to a minimum is important, too. I'd rather smoke a cob than put up with a thousand-dollar art piece with a miniscule draft hole that gurgles like a son of a bitch.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I don't think I could tell the difference in a blind test. Over the years, I have let the pipe determine what tobaccos smoke best in each one, and sometimes a stellar combination reveals itself. But that may have more to do with the tobacco, the time of day, and ambient air temp than the pipe itself. BUT I have found that many cheaper pipes without well cured briar are hotter to the touch; cheap stems feel funny in the teeth, and break in periods vary. A lot of the reason that I buy estates is that the break-in is already done.

Right now, I am smoking an estate Ferndown. The smoke flows freely, the bowl still feels cool after 30 minutes, and I taste the Virginia and Perique within. By comparison, my Rossi became very hot, and clenching the stem is uncomfortable. The air flow on the Rossi seemed restricted, so I pulled the stem and beveled the tenon, which improved it greatly. It's more smokeable, but still not as good as the Ferndown. And the Rossi, while smaller, is near the same weight as the Ferndown.

My Kaywoodie from the 1930's smokes just as well as my Dunhill. I have a Dr. Grabow that I bought new in the 70's that is terrific. I also have a Butz Choquin from 1983 that has yet to smoke well, except during the winter. I should probably sand the coating off, like I did with an old Yellowbowl. The Yellowbowl was hot and terrible till I sanded the varnish off.

And I in spite of all that, the best smoking, most flavorful pipe I have, is a Reddog from Basil Meadows. The Reddog give a cool, flavorful smoke every time, no matter what I smoke in it.

Cost isn't necessarily a determining factor, but quality of briar, workmanship, and the right tobacco seem to make a difference.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Alde- By shaping I include the airway, but I could have made it clear, and didn't.
As to a test for smoke quality only, you'd have to remove the feel of the stem. Hence a rubber tube attached to the bit... Gross!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
We have to assume that all pipes are similar enough in size and shape that blindfolded, you cannot reasonably tell which is which. So I am assuming classic shapes and not some fancy artisan shape. While I have seen some amazingly beautiful grains on artisan pipes selling for high prices that were stunning to look at and it ate my heart out wanting them, I'm not yet convinced that beautiful birds-eye makes for a better smoke than some other.
I've bought estate pipes that had gorgeous looking grain--- it looks like as nice a briar as 80-90% of what I see out there and they smoke great, so I'm not sure about only a few select companies getting the very best briar--- maybe the very best in looks that they could charge more for and maybe better seasoned, but is that to say that the other company does not then let the briar rest and season further on their own? And what about the natural age of an old estate? Surely it is seasoned by now.
We are not talking about any new pipes--- all pipes have to be broken in enough so as to minimize as many variables as possible. The question is how much hype from top list pipe companies actually really does contribute to a superior smoke and how much is just wishful thinking and/or marketing? Not that I'd expect to get many bad smokes from a really good pipe, but rather, how close average and even factory pipes really do come, or can come, assuming they were made well?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I obviously failed the test. I buy pipes to smoke and since I own very old pipes up to modern artisans and I just smoke them without thinking. I'd fail any thought process about which is which.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We have to assume that all pipes are similar enough in size and shape that blindfolded, you cannot reasonably tell which is which.
No we don't.
And what is it you're really unsure of? The answer seems clear to me, and I am also sure there will never be a scientific approach to prove whatever.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Not when you've got sickos like Cosmic running around claiming they like the taste of an un-broken-in briar! Blecch.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Wearing a pair of denim/leather work gloves should solve the touch/feel ID issue. You might be able to discern a bent from a straight billiard or a poker, etc. but that would be about it.

To make it interesting, you could have standard bulldogs of various makes, or billiards. I would be even more amused to see guys not be able to tell a $5 eBay bulldog from a brand new Dunhill bulldog, or billiard, etc... Then wearing gloves would be all that it would take. Comparing a bent billiard to a zulu, no matter what the two makes are would open up even more questions. Was it the shape that was superior, etc...

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Right. All pipes of close enough shape that they don't give away their identity by holding them. If you have to, wear a thin glove. You are blindfolded. All the same tobacco. All pipes are broken in and good smokers. Someone hands you one pipe at a time and you smoke it for a while, you score them by your smoking impressions, 1 thru 6.
Then change the order of the pipes, you smoke them again. Do you pick the same ones all three times as the better smokers? The same ones as the worst? If there is a fair consistency on the ones you pick best to worst, that is significant, scientific. But the interesting part is if you do that, then /which ones/ do you pick as the better smokers? If the better (higher priced) ones score higher, that is significant, but what if they don't?
I can't believe people pay hundreds and thousands of dollars and excruciate over the tiniest details of pipes and various blends yet would not wonder if they are really getting a better smoke with their higher-end pipes. If not better, then maybe different, more liked? Not to prove anything, but just out of curiosity to KNOW! How often do people say they cannot find any info on this or that or everything is just subjective opinion--- here is a perfect opportunity especially for clubs and others deep into pipes to make a real contribution into what is apparently an unexplored territory of producing something of a meaningful study of shedding real light on the effects of briar, etc.
Or maybe NOTHING will come of it. Inconclusive, nothing proven. But that is how it sometimes works out.
Naturally, the more this is repeated, larger number of pipes, more repeat sessions, more groups of people involved, the more meaningful the results. Looked at a different way, instead of always reviewing tobaccos, this would be more of a review on pipes themselves, and when was the last time you read a PIPE review? Perhaps way overdue?

There are some guys in this world with small-tool-syndrome that will only ever buy big named stuff. Drills, cars, car tires, ties, blue jeans, shoes, etc... they have never stepped out of their world of big name brands enough to really see what the difference is.
Sometimes it matters to me, or used to. I used to buy Craftsman tools because I was constantly using them, and breaking a wrench makes for less work that day. But, now I don't even think there is a single tool that I would state my life on as being any better than the cheapest Walmart tool. When I took my wife's Krups coffeemaker apart, I found that there is absolutely no difference in the way it works compared to an $18 Mr. Coffee. etc, etc... It just depends on what is important to you. Like I said, some guys need quality to get through a project, and some need name brand to distract people from their very small parts.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
As to toobfreaks last comment? This is why I got ZERO interest from pipesters from a large pipe forum when I presented this "challenege" many years ago.
Can you imagine a guy with "small tool syndrome" being blindfolded and picking out the $10 corncob pipe as being the best smoker ?

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
The problem with blind tests for any form of connoisseurship is that taste is totally subjective. Your expectations play as much of a role as the actual sensory information in what the brain generates as taste. It would be possible for someone to prefer a cheaper pipe in a blind test, then upon doffing the blindfold and trying again say with complete honesty that they now think the more expensive pipe smokes better.

It would be possible for someone to prefer a cheaper pipe in a blind test, then upon doffing the blindfold and trying again say with complete honesty that they now think the more expensive pipe smokes better.
Exactly, and knowing this, is exactly why no one ever needs to do the blindfolded test. Guys who only ever buy the most expensive pipes are terrified that this might be true, thus they would never submit to such a test; and the rest of us knows that whatever we discover is much less interesting than just enjoying the hell out of the pipes that we do have.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I believe that the line between all pipes would be heavily blurred in a blind test, but it is nearly impossible to pull this test off as broadly as it should be. I don't really care about price anymore. I tend to buy artisan pipes from people that I know. If a pipe smokes exceptionally well, I continue to buy from them, knowing that if one doesn't, they'll fix it or refund me. It's about comfort level for me now.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I only thought of this initially because of the many marketing claims over the years--- everything from the various stingers and chambers to the class of briar used. I've read many claims that this or that makes for an improved smoking experience. Of course, people who buy a rather upper end pipe of higher cost that they know great pains went into making will tend to think well of them and be highly satisfied so long as they smoke well because they are interested in more than just the utility of the pipe.
The problem with blind tests for any form of connoisseurship is that taste is totally subjective. Your expectations play as much of a role as the actual sensory information in what the brain generates as taste. It would be possible for someone to prefer a cheaper pipe in a blind test, then upon doffing the blindfold and trying again say with complete honesty that they now think the more expensive pipe smokes better.
The whole point of the test is to take away expectations. In the blind test, you don't know what to expect. All you have is your tongue and nose. Taking the blindfold off and now thinking you like xyz pipe KNOWING which pipe is which is irrelevant and defeats the point of the experiment. I tend to agree with crash that just having someone stick a pipe in your mouth and say: Puff! Then having to guess whether you thought you liked your fav tobacco in it more or less than pipe B might be harder or more unexpected in the results than many think.
Of course, this has nothing to do with buying custom designer pipes that you pay extra for their beauty and one-of-a-kind uniqueness. These are meant as fine tactile craftsmanship far beyond just the smoke itself and given their care, I should think almost always smoke good to great enough to justify their owning. But I think I agree with Cosmic's statement that there is probably no absolute connection between cost of pipe and how well it smokes. I offer as support of that the many chewed up, bowl-cracked and cake-laden pipes shown here occasionally that the owner puts forth as his best smoking and most preferred pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
but briar is briar,
Well, not exactly. Briar is harvested from a variety of locations and its characteristics vary in terms of hardness, grain structure, porosity, density, color, etc, as a result. The age of the burl when harvested has an effect on the quality of the capillary structure that we see as grain. There can be variances from burl to burl and even within a burl. The climate conditions under which the burl formed can have a profound effect. There's no end of variations.
So even if one created a line up of pipes of closely similar chamber shape, broken in with the same blend for the same amount of time, packed with the same blend in exactly the same manner, there would be no definitive result, not just because the briar varies, but because the sample used would only amount to a dip in the river. Perhaps if one lined up a hundred examples of each make, all of the same model, broken in with the same blend, packed the same with all having the same blend, a pattern might emerge.
Quality from a single manufacturer varies. I own about 93 Family Era Barlings and they don't all smoke the same. They're all good smokers, but there are 6 or so that are exceptional smokers. And that was true of the Dunhills I've owned, though I found the Barlings more to my liking. I suspect that's true of any maker.
Then change the order of the pipes, you smoke them again. Do you pick the same ones all three times as the better smokers? The same ones as the worst? If there is a fair consistency on the ones you pick best to worst, that is significant, scientific. But the interesting part is if you do that, then /which ones/ do you pick as the better smokers? If the better (higher priced) ones score higher, that is significant, but what if they don't?
It's pretty well understood that price doesn't bear a direct correlation to smoking quality. A $30,000 Bo Nordh doesn't smoke 100 times better than a $300 pipe. I remember a conversation I had a few years ago with a collector of ultra high end pipes, who owned Nordhs, Ivarssons, Chonowitchs, etc. I point blank asked him this question and his response was that they smoked as well as his Grabows. One of my favorite pipes is an Ehrlich that I bought for $2.
So the reasons that some pipe smokers are willing to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars aren't just about the chamber. It's partly aesthetics, partly the comfort that a well carved stem and bit provides (keep in mind that carving the stem and bit can involve more work than carving the bowl), partly pride of ownership, partly more durable materials, partly better air flow from a carefully drilled and finished airway, partly better fit and finish, partly historical interest if the pipes collected are vintage, and partly insanity.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
snip
Briar is harvested from a variety of locations and its characteristics vary in terms of hardness, grain structure, porosity, density, color, etc, as a result. The age of the burl when harvested has an effect on the quality of the capillary structure that we see as grain. There can be variances from burl to burl and even within a burl. The climate conditions under which the burl formed can have a profound effect. There's no end of variations. I own about 93 Family Era Barlings and they don't all smoke the same. They're all good smokers, but there are 6 or so that are exceptional smokers.
Great statement, Jesse! That was the point I was trying to make, or ask, that knowing all the above one cannot (or can they) look at a pipe and know in advance it will be one of those exceptional smokers? I don't think so, not until you actually smoke it. My thought is those rare great smokers might occur most anywhere for a variety of reasons, and maybe that is the best argument why such a blind test has never been done--- like you say, you need a LARGE sampling, the more the better, and that would be quite an undertaking. Still, I like the idea.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
To me the price paid for a high end or artisan pipe is mostly in the stem, the rest is how fancy the pipe looks. Briar is a natural thing and subject to all manner conditions/variables. It's not a metal we can purify or alter, it came out the ground how it is and there is no way to know what's inside the block beforehand. Lots of Briar gets trashed making pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.