Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Thanks to Pipestud, I picked up two hardbound volumes - Volume I and a Volume II - each of which contain a number of issues of this old periodical. Does anyone know much about this publication? How many volumes were published? If only two hardbound volumes were ever published, does anyone know whether these collect every single issue, or are other issues out there that have never been collected?

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?invid=9496472515&noworks=1&qtit=The+Pipe+Smoker%27s+Ephemeris.&browse=1&qsort=&page=1
Cheap as chips. Good luck with collecting them... 8O

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Peck:
You might want to send a private message to Brian Levine.
I remember he was auctioning some to support diabetes when Briar Bid was online.
Also Tony Soderman ( Mr Can.) on Ebay might know more to help you.
Doug

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Tom wrote about planning Vol. III but unfortunately it never came to be. The loose issues should be pretty easy to find on eBay and at shows. 8O

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have four issues gifted to me that date from 2001. I've tried to read these, but they really don't make a lot of sense. There are various short submissions, but most of the time the author isn't named. In contrast to "The Pipe Collector" these issues are very crude (hand drawings, no pictures, etc.) I was a little disappointed.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Thanks for the purchase of the two volumes, Peck. They are indeed classics.
In 1964, Tom Dunn founded The Universal Coterie of Pipe Smokers, also known as TUCOPS. TUCOPS was a pipe smokers club, in a sense, and was comprised of pipe smokers from across the the globe. Those interested in joining simply needed to send Tom a note with name address and phone number to join. His communication to the Coterie came through a publication called The Pipe Smokers's Ephemeris, with a membership of almost 9,000 subscribers until Mr. Dunn's death in 2006, and per his wishes, the Ephemeris was discontinued. This publication was often referred to as an "irregularly" published quarterly that contained an exhaustive amount of information about pipes and tobacco. The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris Book I is a Hard Bound Illustrated Collected edition of The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris consisting of every issue from Spring 1965 to Summer-Autumn 1979. A Limited Edition of only 300 ever produced and signed by the editor.

The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris Book II covered the second fifteen years (1980-1995) of the TUCOPS. It is a hardbound 825 pages full of articles, missives, advertisements, pictures, poetry, etc, celebrating the pipe smoking hobby.
The publications are truly fascinating and that is whey they are so expensive along with the fact that so few were ever printed that they are hard to find.
So Peck, if you want any individual issues after 1995, you can hunt them up on eBay and elsewhere. I know I used to be as excited as a kid on Christmas morning every time I found an issue in my mailbox.
Pipestud

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Congrats on scoring those, Peck. And both volumes! I've never read an issue of the Ephemeris, but I have some old volumes of Pipe Friendly and The Pipe Collector and it's such fun getting a peak into what the hobby used to be like. Plus there's tons of really obscure information you won't find anywhere else.
Great score.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have the first book, it says it is from the second printing. So was this printed multiple times or am I reading it wrong and there were only 300 of the first book made?

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
I had a couple years worth, now gone. Couldn't use most of the info. Didn't smoke quite as much then as now, so I wish I still had them.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I recently bought some 1990's issues from Pipestud. He was such a sport that he sold them for a buck a piece. He is just too cool.
Great to hear this, Steve is a class person. Also, this is what TPSE was all about, the sharing, camaraderie and mutual support of a pipe smoking community.
Although he graciously accepted all donations, Tom never changed anything for the regular issues, it was a labor of love for him.

Reactions: artvandelay007

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
I have both bound volumes (I & II) containing about 30 years of the publication. The volumes are exact printings of each issue and are sometimes hard to read because they contain strikeovers, crossouts, etc. I am slowly making my way through them with a magnifying glass. Very interesting publication. The bound volumes are becoming collector's items , so snag them if you get the chance. I got mine from a dealer in estate pipes.

Reactions: peregrinus
Status
Not open for further replies.