PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

butsushin

Lurker
Jul 16, 2015
redpanda,

yes the gomboli shop... next door (literally) there is an empty (seemingly) one with empty cigar boxes in the shopwindow...
latakia: Yiannos knows the whole story (grown on contract from DH and MB, paid in advance every year, every two weeks the reps come over and count every plant one by one...) ask him and write us about is if you have the time

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I'm in Scotland and have yet to meet another pipe smoker face-to-face. Maybe we all just hide away in our homes and gardens. I hardly ever smoke a pipe or cigar out in public because of all the negative reactions from people. They act like you're injecting poison directly into the veins of their children.

smoelf

Lurker
Aug 7, 2014
Picking up the thread here, pipe smoking kits aimed at beginners probably serve a purpose, but I think buying the individual items including the tobacco is a really good education on pipe smoking.
I'm really happy my local webshop had a simple starter kit ready to be purchased when I started, as I would probably have been paralyzed with all the options. That time, all I had to choose was bent or straight. And it gave me the option to learn more about pipes and tobacco, while learning to smoke it, so that when, after a break, I wanted to start smoking again, I was able to put together my own "starter kit" by purchasing each part separately, including a good quality pipe, and a sampler package that I was somewhat confident about. Even better, since I'm the US now at an exchange stay, I had a lot more options than back in Denmark, but two years ago I would not have been able to choose between all those options.
Back on topic, I think I know of less than five people that smoke a pipe and I don't remember ever having seen any more than that out in the open, so here's another one for the choir. Which in a sense surprises me. Before I got into pipe smoking I had no idea that Denmark had played such an important role in the history of pipe smoking, so it is a bit weird that it isn't more common. Though on the other hand it shouldn't surprise considering the high taxation and strict legislation concerning tobacco.
In any case, I am looking forward to being more visble when I get back, as I have only received positive feedback from my smoking over here :)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
In the 3 years that I have been smoking a pipe, I have encountered only one person that I talked to who was smoking a pipe, maybe 4 guys in there trucks smoking a pipe, and 1 guy mowing his lawn smoking a pipe.

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
I live in Dubai and travel a fair bit around the Middle East and Africa, with occasional forays into Europe.
I have never seen anyone smoking a pipe in Dubai, even though every major mall, of which there are a few, has a Smokers' Centre shop that sells pipes, tobacco and accessories.
In South Africa I know two pipe smokers, one of whom, to my immense joy, works for one of our business partners. He's the only other pipe smoker I've ever had the pleasure of sitting with, enjoying a drink and a pipe together.
Once in Lagos I saw another pipe smoker in the hotel bar. We raised our pipes to each other in mutual salutation and surprise.
In Germany you will see one or two pipe smokers a day, if you're spending the day wandering around a reasonably sized town or city. I've only been to Holland a couple of times, but remember seeing the odd pipe smoker when out and about, and once had a Dutch colleague who seemed to smoke Amphora all day long whilst never cleaning his pipe, give the state of it.
Same goes for Turkey, the whole Middle East (although obviously there's lots of shisha being smoked), Pakistan, India and any of the other countries I've been lucky enough to visit. It does surprise me that you still never see pipes being smoked in so many of the countries in the region where smoking is still rampant and where cigars are popular - Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, etc.
Back home in the UK I haven't seen anyone smoking a pipe for years. Actually, scratch that - last summer I saw a Dutch tourist smoking an e-pipe(!)
Equally, aside from my South African colleague, the other pipe smokers I've spotted tend to be a lot older than me. I'm still very young (40, ahem).
As other people have mentioned, it always surprises me that you can find pipe tobacco for sale all over the place, yet see them being smoked so rarely.
In recent years I've become a big fan of Swedish snus, but have never met anyone else who isn't from Scandinavia who has even heard of it, let alone tried it.
If Mrs Redstar approved, which she doesn't, I'd love to start a Dubai pipe club.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
There was a well financed attempt at marketing Snus here in the US led by camel. I tried it a few times, but didn't catch. Obviously pipe smoking is something most do in the confines of their given given the general attitude on tobacco products. Few seem okay being labeled a smoker. Interesting stuff.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In my view, what did it was the switch to big open offices. People complained about smoke. By forcing smoking outside, they guaranteed the only method fast enough was the cigarette, instead of (healthier) cigars and pipes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'm really happy my local webshop had a simple starter kit ready to be purchased when I started, as I would probably have been paralyzed with all the options. That time, all I had to choose was bent or straight. And it gave me the option to learn more about pipes and tobacco, while learning to smoke it, so that when, after a break, I wanted to start smoking again, I was able to put together my own "starter kit" by purchasing each part separately, including a good quality pipe, and a sampler package that I was somewhat confident about.
This makes sense. You start with real basic equipment and move on up to the better stuff as you know how.
I see pipes as rising in importance as people look for ways to return to quality of life after the manic last few decades.
Things are changing in our society -- nay, in our civilization -- much faster than people generally think.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Wow.. I can not believe this. First of all, I am happy that the thread has gone for so long (and still going) ,as I am new on the forum. But on the other hand, well I could tell the hobby isn't exactly popular but all the comments I've read here so far coming from people from all over the place... Honestly, I think we've pretty much covered the whole planet, or most of it anyway. And no pipe smokers in England and Schotland ? This discussion is an eye-opener for me. I did not realise we are so few. I shall remember this thread everytime I encounter another individual with a pipe.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I did not realise we are so few.
Hopefully not all that few, as an industry is thriving. But it wouldn't hurt to get more (good) people into the activity.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -- Margaret Mead

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I sometimes see a pipe smoker in Amsterdam, but it's rare (I must have seen 4 or 5 in five years here). They are all invariably older (I'm 37, and I'm guessing they're all above 50 or, more likely, 60), and male.
But, as I told a friend who sarcastically called me a hipster for smoking a pipe: I don't care if nobody else is doing it, I'm bringing the pipe back ;)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
But, as I told a friend who sarcastically called me a hipster for smoking a pipe: I don't care if nobody else is doing it, I'm bringing the pipe back
Good attitude. It does not strike me as "hipster" to merely smoke and enjoy a pipe. Hipster is people who do things for outward appearance because they are avoids within. Their main goal is to be "ironic" and "different" (unique). Convoluted pipe shapes, excessive accessory fetishism, tobacco blends with canteloupe cavendish, etc. may be more to show uniqueness than for quality, and that's another story from someone merely wanting to bring back a good thing.
I also remind us all:
The past is never dead. It's not even past. - William Faulkner, "Requiem for a Nun"
and
The past is alive. - Per Ohlin

gonzok

Lurker
Oct 28, 2015
Hi there redpanda. Just letting you know that if you haven't seen me then I can confirm there are 6 other pipe smokers in Cyprus. As a relatively new pipe smoker, I was wondering if you have found any tobacconists which sell anything other than the typical cheap brands found in kiosks. I have tried a few places and can't seem to find any which stock any Dunhill or other quality tobaccos. The best I have found for my tastes (as a long time cigarette smoker) is the Erinmore Balkan Mixture which is ok but I am getting a bit bored of it and want to try something different. Have you had a chance to visit the shop in Limassol which was mentioned above?

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Glad to see this thread resurface. Does anyone have a handle on what the "denominator" is in pipe smoking? We are the numerator, those that are visible in forums. How many smokers are there out there really? In the US, UK, Europe, Japan, and Cyrus for that matter?

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
In the San Francisco Bay Area I can count the number of tobacco pipe smokers I have encountered in the past year on no hands, because the number is zero.
The last gun shop in SF closed this year too.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
Well, I've never quite "fit in" anyways, which I guess is part of the appeal to me. It sets me apart from the rest of the crowd, and as I've gotten older I am beginning to embrace who I am instead of trying to conform to what I think people want me to be. Plus I LOVE the taste of my pipe.
Fearsclave says it elegantly:

Yes, pipe smoking is old-fashioned. It's an indulgence from a by-gone age. And that is precisely what draws me to it. Smoking a pipe is a statement of taste, a rejection of the joyless and mass-produced engineering of addiction that is the cigarette. It's an enjoyment of the slower, the more refined, the ritual as opposed to the habit. It's single malt instead of cheap vodka. It's quality versus quantity. It's mindful appreciation instead of a quick fix.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
FWIW I live in Cincinnati, Ohio USA and have been smoking a pipe since I was 17 in 1983. Back then I was the only person that I ever saw smoking a pipe. Fast forward to today and I belong to a thriving local pipe club (the Pipe Club of Over The Rhine) that has a membership ranging from 23 to 70+ years old. The 4 or 5 local tobacconists in our area all report selling more pipes and pipe tobaccos than they've sold in many years. I've never cared about what anyone else is doing, I do my own thing. If you smoke a pipe (especially in public) you are keeping a tradition alive, and when others see you smoking you might well give someone else the courage to smoke a pipe in public as well. Carry on and keep the tradition alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.