PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In more limiting situations, like sending a pipe to a serviceman or woman in a remote duty station, a kit might well be perfect.
In my experience, eliminating barriers can be (but is not always) a positive thing. Choosing a pipe, tobacco, etc. requires a certain amount of research and taking the risk that one choose poorly. Receiving something relatively generic allows the person to leapfrog all of that stuff and removes barriers to their entry to the behavior. It's similar to what you mention, which is isolation by distance; for most, it is isolation by time (for research) and risk.
Much of this is relatively new. With the internet creating massive data over-abundance, most people are stranded trying to figure out which voices to trust. Similarly, many of us follow certain reviewers on TR because we trust their opinions. This would be like that, only in advance.
Although perhaps it would only lead to a new generation of goopy aro smokers.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I was able to perceive the Hippy bashing clearly. Preventative medicine over time has kept glaucoma at bay so far.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I have yet to run into a pipe smoker out in the wild... in fact since being here in South California I have yet to run into the local Tobacconist (if I can even call it that, its a Davids Tobacco) ... back in NC I would hang out at McCrannies at times and bs with others, but not here. I think I may be the only pipe smoker in all of southern California. :P

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was able to perceive the Hippy bashing clearly. Preventative medicine over time has kept glaucoma at bay so far.
Is honest criticism "bashing"? I have similar criticisms of the mass movements of my generation...
But glad you've staved off the glaucoma. Just hide the snacks. Speaking of beatniks, what did you think of Burroughs, Kerouac, and friends?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Kesey is a hero. The others are historical contributions to their art that have had impact. He was the first hippie.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
In the San Francisco Bay Area I can count the number of tobacco pipe smokers I have encountered in the past year on no hands, because the number is zero.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Personally I've grown weary of all of the pomp and circumstance surrounding pipes. Everywhere I turn there's Obama with a pipe or Jay Z smoking his blingy pipes... the pope with his Holy Pipe and Blessed Tobacco. I miss the days when smoking a pipe wasn't the status symbol it is today. I've heard rumblings that Apple is at work on a heat resistant rosegold Apple Pipe. It's gone from a fascinating micro-community to the ubiquitous fashion symbol we now see daily ;)

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
" If everyone who has a piano in their home or walked out of a music store with a guitar became an actual musician, we might actually have better music to choose from now-a-days"
Cosmic: This is so true...and hilarious :))

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Butsushin: Good heavens mate !!! I really don't know what to say other than Thank you ! I had never heard of these people or meetings. This is a proof that forums like this one here, are one of the greatest things we have. It is such a small island and I get a guy from Hungary to tell me what is going on here,well...it is amazing. Thanks a lot !!

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Reading comments so far, I am certainly surprised to learn that the situation is no different in many other places ,especially in a place like US where I always imagined there is everything and lots of it. I haven't been to Italy yet, there might be more pipe smokers per sq.mile there. I guess what Elbert told is true - "we'll forever be in the rather tiny minority ". That's fine with me.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
It would be great... advocacy packs...
Over on reddit.com, the pipe tobacco subforum (and related pipe tobacco market) put together Starter Kits for the neophyte smoker. Believe they sell quite a few of them too...

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Spencer: That is frustrating. I have this vision of going on vacation in southern Italy, where I take a morning walk in the small narrow streets of a village after a nice breakfast, saying "hello" to all the people passing by with their pipes in their mouths.

butsushin

Lurker
Jul 16, 2015
redpanda,
Yiannos owns a small cafe in Lemesos just off Makarious Ave, go there and see his pipes and have a sketo.. you will be in the best company possible....
please do pass on my very best regards (Balazs would serve as an IRL name...) and take a look at his small pipe workshop and also the all natural bulldog he is hopefully finishing for me.... there in Lemesos you also have an old chap with a practically empty shop (opposite Neon Phaliron) where he has almost all Dunhill tobaccos....
a good sketo, some heavy (Cyprus) latakia, sunset, Cyprus wine and gazing towards the sea (the view only interrupted by some female body parts...) ..... priceless .....
and yes, the last restaurant I went to in Budapest was recommended by one of my cypriot clients....
I will be going over there at least 3 times before Christmas, I myself would be more than delighted to share a drink and light up....

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Butsushin: You have put me to shame man. Honestly, where have I been ? :))) I've been ordering Dunhills from Denmark, paying shipping and waiting like crazy. Shoot me a msg. I'd be great to meet when you come around !
Thanks once again !
p.s. Makarios Ave. is pretty long. Where exactly is this place? neon faliron I know very well, but opposite is a shop where they sell colomboi, I don't know what you call it in english, you know the thing with the small balls you hold in your hand and play all the time with. Is that the place?

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
I don't know what you call it in english, you know the thing with the small balls you hold in your hand and play all the time with.

That's called a ''penis.''

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
bonehed: Ha ha ha ha, I knew someone was gonna say that. Ok. I was busy trying to google it and see what it's called, and the post expired and I couldnt edit it. I did not sound right,I know. Anyway, I have learnt a new word tonight. Apparently it is called " worry beads" or kolomboi as we call it in greek.
good laugh:)))))))))

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hmmmm. Someone revealed he's got small ones! Usually one sees the opposite brag whenever mentioned. OK, OK, jes funnin' now.
Panda- Have you been able to visit a Latakia operation? Is there one near you?

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
jpmcwjr: I do not even know where they grow it, but it is a really small country and nothing is far here. I am 99.9% sure the big tobacco firms purchase it from the Northern part, which is the so called occupied Cyprus, because it is probably a lot cheaper to get it than here ( EU ). I imagine there are just barns where they dry it and roughly cut it and pack it for export.

Status
Not open for further replies.