PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Is anyone but me noticing a difference in Irish Flake. I just received some tins to replenish my stock and noticed an immediate difference in taste with these new tins. On the first bowl from a new tin I noticed a harsh edge that had never been there before, the taste is different (somewhat bland), and the nic kick, while certainly there, isn't quite as stout. The flakes seem a little more brittle and dryer than I'm used to as well (which doesn't really bother me). I did a little forum searching and found this;
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/macbaren-is-going-to-produce-the-peterson-tobaccos
Well, my heart sank to my knees when I read this. I haven't really been following the forums lately so I missed this little development and it may have already been discussed to death already. If so then I apologize.
Now I'm not sure if it's just in my head, but I did notice a marked difference before I found the above post. I'm hoping this is just an off tin and we are still going through the K&K stock and that the other tins will be OK. If I am into the MB blended IF, and this is what I can expect going forward, then I am indeed a sad panda as this is not what made me fall in love with IF. Funny thing is, this stuff looks and smells EXACTLY the same, just doesn't taste as good to my palate.
IF is my second favorite blend and runs a VERY close second behind SG St. James Flake. I just end up smoking a lot more of it because it's been a lot easier to get. I know from the above post that K&K is putting their original formula out under the Rattray's banner, but I don't think that it's available here in the states yet. So now, of my two favorite blends, one is hard to get and the other I can't get at all through US retailers. If what I have is the new MacBaren formulation, I think I shall go somewhere and cry now. Hopefully US retailers will start stocking the Rattray's Stirling Flake soon.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I am sad to say, that the original IF is gone for good. The MacBaren offering is of course different, and not to my liking, but this is personal taste, but even the K&K Stirling Flake is maybe based on the IF recipe, but obviously some changes were done, IMO to reduce costs. Stock up, if you have access to the original IF, because neither successor can really substitute it.

A direct comparison can be found here: http://jogi-wan.blogspot.de/2014/03/peterson-irish-flake-mac-baren-kohlhase.html

(in German, but Google can translate it, so it can be understood)

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Peter, thank you for the link. That pretty much confirms for me that I have some of the "new" stuff from Mac Baren. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad tobacco, it's still a quality blend and once I get over the disappointment of the change in formulation I'm sure I'll continue to enjoy it as an occasional smoke. It's just that, once you really get to know a blend you come to expect certain things from it and this new formulation definitely lacks that certain "magic" that made IF my main go-to blend. I guess I'll celler the rest of the tins and hope that some aging will mellow that slight harsh/bitter undercurrent the new formula has. Again, I don't "hate" the MB stuff, it's pretty good, it just doesn't meet my expectations for Irish Flake.
Too bad about the Sterling Flake being different from the original as well. I guess I had assumed from the posts that it would be the same, just under a different branding. I would still like to try some as it sounds like, despite the changes, it still might be closer to the original. I wonder if, once pipelines are filled in EU, we will start having access to it here in the states?

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Torque, this also makes me a saaaaddddd panda, as IF is my #1 favorite tobacco. I freakin' love the stuff. So far, i have not encountered this issue with the quality of the tobacco, but if true i am going to freak out. It's terrible when companies try to fix something that clearly isn't broke, simply to cut costs and save money.
I was really hoping this thread was going to go in a different direction, like a blend that was similarily satisfying and delicious in case IF happened to be out of stock everywhere. I hope i don't get one of these shitty new excuses for a Peterson's classic anytime soon, as i have not experienced this new atrocity as of yet.
Sincerely,

The Saddest Panda.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
@layinpipe
If Irish Flake is your go-to then you will certainly know it when you hit the MB stuff :(

Dec 24, 2012
So how can you tell which stuff you have? I have 51 tins in the cellar and the youngest was put in the cellar March of 2013. That is pretty recent so I take it I probably have the Mcb stuff, but wondering if there is any easy way to tell.
How is the Mcb uni flake?

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
From what I have been able to ascertain from various posts, you laid your cellar in about a year before the change over. You, my friend, are in good shape. This is a very recent development, like, earlier this year.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Torque, I'm smoking some right now while breaking in my new arley curtz quaint poker and it tastes normal to me. I get most of my IF from my b&m so I'm not sure if they have stock in the back that is older or if they order it fresh every time they run out. I'm going to ask next time I'm there. I am curious about how to tell the difference from the tins, if possible, like peck said.

Dec 24, 2012
I did a google translate of that German link and this came out in the translation:
Since the control number on the box is not always a reliable sign for the manufacturer, just for a change, when old stocks still be with sold off, the manufacturer changes can best be using the barcode on the snuffbox, the Global Trade Item Number documented. The first three digits always indicate the country of manufacture. For Germany, the number range 400-440 is used for Denmark 570-579.
My IF is way in the back of a shelf, but layinpipe, do you have a code that starts with a 400 or a 500?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake is awfully good right now. Smells like the chef is in the kitchen,

if you know what I mean. A little something to cheer you up.

perjensen

Lurker
Jul 24, 2012
Gentlemen. Just to clearify matters. Mac Baren does not prodoce either Irish Flake or University flake. We have our own HH Old Dark Fired, and is quite happy about it.

Happy smoke

Per Georg Jensen

Mac Baren Tobacco

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I just recently got some Irish Flake in an order from SPC, and the paper inside the tin is the same style, with the same tobacco leaf drawing, as I've seen in other K&K-produced products (R. McConnell). This is my first tin of Irish Flake, so I can't compare it to older production, but I love it and will be ordering more!

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Well, don't I look silly, lol. Guess that's what I get for buying into the internet rumor mill. :oops:
I must just be dealing with an off tin.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Torque, don't feel embarrassed. We are all susceptible to the power of suggestion,

and our perceptions are constantly being modified by new, albeit false, information.

This reminds me of what Troels Mikkelsen said when Orlik took over production of

Capstan Flake. Orlik utilized the tins and labels leftover from the Liverpool factory

and never received a single complaint; but when they started using their own labels,

complaints about the Orlik version started coming in. :lol:
Right now POM is suing Coca Cola over product identification because their pomegranate

blueberry juice has only about .5% of those ingredients; so millions are being duped.

Status
Not open for further replies.