May 31, 2012

. .
M A S S A C R A
. .

Initial impression.

Of course I chose Massacra first,

how couldn't I?
Pouch note: burley & earthy.
Chosen instrument: John Crosby hummingbird.
I didn't really know what to expect and upon first light I found that the lightish brown leaf color betrayed my original expectation and delivered a depth of darkness, and that earthiness came through too. I'm in the habit of locomotive smoking when I'm testing out a blend, to gauge how prone it may be for biting, and I may report that even with the most frantic of puffing, Massacra refuse to bite. Flight of the demonwings and no Orcus of the underworld to be seen, but there was another presence, an unknown presence - I can't describe it, but it was there,

believe me.
Once stoked and going, Massacra unfolded in a rich density, that cigarish earthiness which added bold backbone for the other notes to crest upon, most notably a toastiness, and a roastiness, and the burley really sang broadly across its big backdrop. It also had great body and a nice level of nicotine, which are traits that I always appreciate.
In a way it sorta reminded me of John Patton's Storm Front, like a deeper and stouter version though, with that extra something that knocks it up a notch above and beyond.
Thank you for the sample DM.
(insert headbanger smiley here)

zkvw7ZC.jpg

LEJZVEc.jpg

ZOmXzkF.jpg

WtRU1Ns.jpg

stnboOl.jpg

9T7QB78.jpg

smqvPzk.jpg

HQWB4dl.jpg

IJ8TTPu.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Added:
Hastings: A classic mixture of Burleys and Virginias, topped with mocha vanilla flavoring of the most natural origin possible, Hastings represents the all-day smoke for pipe-wielders who like Medium to Strong with abundant natural flavor and a confectionery note on top. If you wanted Prince Albert to be stronger, mellower and less processed, Hastings will fill your pipe with joy.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I just finished a bowl of Aiwass. I couldn't agree with Cosmic more.
This blend deserves to be sold and bought!

tbthomps

Lurker
Oct 28, 2015
I have posted a review of Aiwass in the 'Tobacco Review' subforum. Outstanding work! I still need to partake of the Massacra that was sent but haven't yet had the time. More to come!

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
DeathMetal, these sound intriguing. The Beast hath grown, yay even multiplied!

I'd love to try these!

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Is there anything else on the market similar to the beast right now? Any other blends with a high amount of perique and rum flavoring? I really enjoyed the beast, I just wish there were more of it. If not, I may in the future be giving DeathMetal a significant amount of business for Aiwass.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm late to the party but wanted to sing the praises of Massacra! :puffy:
After returning from a 3 week vacation, I found this sample awaiting my arrival. Right from the first charring light, I knew this was going to be good. Nutty, creamy and even slightly floral at times, this Burley forward blend captured my heart and seemed almost made for the Cob.
Congrats on a successful blend and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to try it. :clap:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Thanks all for trying these blends!
I must add a few to the list:
Tafkapa. Named after a recently deceased musician and the variety of drugstore tobacco that inspired its flavor profile, this blend uses a mixture of medium Burleys lightly flavored with a top note of vanilla, cocoa, and a mixture of alcohols. If you wanted an all-day smoke similar to the classics of a generation or two ago, this fits the bill. Strength: Mild to Medium. Flavor: Medium. Room note: Acceptable.
Trafalgar. This blend goes against the idea of innovation and is a classic English with Perique and some dark Burley added. Lighter in Latakia than most English blends, it emphasizes the Virginias for a sweeter smoke into which Orientals, Perique and Latakia meld as condimental flavors. Strength: Mild to Medium. Flavor: Medium to Full. Room Note: Strong.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Quick update:
the_metal_mixtures-700x420.jpg

Part of the journey into appreciation of the pipe as an activity — the familiarity, the rituals, the marking of time, the enjoyment — is to mix your own tobacco from pre-existing components. This can be great fun and a huge challenge. As part of that journey, I uncovered a number of mixtures which are both pleasant to smoke and economical. - The Metal Mixtures
The Metal Mixtures now have their own page which lists all of the blends, including the new ones.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
New blend:
Miasma. Built around a Virginia-Perique core, this blend softens the blow with a small amount of Cavendish and then brings the fire with a mixture of Burleys. The end result is sweet and fragrant like a classic Va/Per, but packs more strength and a bolder, broader flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.