PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I wasn't sure whether I should write this post or keep the thought to myself, but I guess we are a close community here so here goes. Lately I had it hard, in as far as work and fatigue. Long hours, a bit of commute, out of town trips, weekend obligations and more work, with little to no satisfaction. Sort of one of those projects that yields no immediate moral or financial gains, but a tedious investment in one's future, and I am not even sure I am making the right decision here - afraid of a sacrifice in vain. This has taken a toll on me, to the point where I fell back on cigarettes especially if you mix a little over the top of alcohol - that being pretty much my old recipe for stressful times. Needless to say, I smoked about 3 bowls in over a month. Finally tonight I managed to pull myself together, and in spite of the emotional pitfall I am in, I find the time for a pipe. I come in at about 8 pm, the wife is working on something and I sit down at my desk with the pipe, and that magically made me feel a whole lot better. First of all, it was the awesome taste that was so familiar ... it just struck a chord that made me change the perspective in an instant. By the time I finished my first bowl, and started browsing the forum, things didn't look as gloomy anymore. I lit a second bowl, half full, and now I am off to sleep feeling quite renewed. I am just as tired, just as much work will be waiting for me tomorrow, but that comforting instance of smoking my pipe made me realize how nice life can actually be, when all day long we are chasing illusions. May it be a placebo effect, or could the pipe have therapeutic properties ? Just a thought ..

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
The pipe can feel magic. It's the polar opposite of what it does rolled in paper. I really do feel like I have a clearer head and can make better decisions after a pipe. But it could be placebo. I'll have to think on it. I feel like it may be a three pipe problem.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think there's no doubt that pipe smoking is rejuvenating, especially when technique prevails that regulates the breath. In yoga such regulation is called pranayama, one of the preliminary stages of ascending consciousness as described by Patanjali in his "Yoga Sutras."

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I set up a second office in the man cave/smoking room around 3 months ago. I thought I would be able to get work done while I was out having a smoke. What that quickly evolved to was doing the vast majority of my work where I could smoke a pipe. The past 3 months have been extraordinarily busy, it would have been a major struggle without having made this move.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I am glad you shared this as I have gone through a similar point in my work life. I too spent too much time working and not getting enough sleep. That dragged on for a few months before I decided to start smoking a pipe. Since I started smoking (an average of 1 bowl about 2-5 times a week), I have had an easier time dealing with work, home life and I sleep like a baby after an evening smoke. I made a rule and do not touch my phone for the 20-50 minutes while I smoke and it has done wonders for me. It may be a placebo effect... but I’ll take it!

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I've felt this too. When things just seem to go sideways or stress starts getting the better of me I gravitate towards my pipes. It may be a placebo effect but I also think it has something to do with sitting still and just enjoying the down time. Sort of like a mental reset period. I can't comment on work since I smoke outside but I'd imagine the comforting aroma and flavor would help with stress during work.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
These are truly Magic pipes.

belais.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
The pipe is the only thing keeping me sane right now.
Edit to add: Well... not right now. I've been fighting this flu for three days now so no pipe smoking.... Insanity is creeping up on me.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Pipe smoking ritual comprises a high level of respect for the leaf. Current demonization of America's ancient sacred plant undermines the magical mysteries yet to be understood by modern scientists. This is not a placebo affect, tobacco can be truly magical!

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Had the time to leisurely smoking pipes alone is just magical. Sometimes people just opening conversation when I started smoking. Smart asses bunch :mrgreen:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I am no doctor or scientist, but my relationship with pipe smoking has been therapeutic for ME.

I was in either my 4th or 5th long term 'quit' from RYO when my health became an overwhelming issue and I found some solace in nicotine.

It took me about 2 or 3 mos. this time, to think to try a pipe, to avoid inhaling burned paper, and once I found this forum it was an easy ride to relaxing, contemplative, and tasty, pipe smoking enjoyment.

If you don't smoke, that's great. If you haven't seeded your brain with the nicotine addiction, congratulations. I recommend that you stay that way.

However, if you feel you need to intake some nicotine, for whatever reason, a pipe is the way to go.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
madox07, that was a great post, I am glad you shared it with us. In the mornings, I take my 3 year old boy to kindergarten and then head to work. From the kindergarten to work it is 15 to 20-minute drive depending on the traffic. After a while I realized how calm I was driving whenever I had my pipe in my mouth, I don't care about irresponsible drivers, just feel the taste of tobacco I am smoking while enjoying my morning coffee.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I wouldn't call it magic, but I am inclined to agree with Bilbo Baggins.
Eggs and bacon. A good, full pipe. My garden at twilight. Cakes.
Sounds like heaven to me.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As long as you think you are relaxing and "rejuvenating" ... you are. You could achieve the same with any diversion of choice, books, trains, music, long walks, woodworking, bowling, etc. If it takes an "outside agency" for you to relax, so be it. My son-in-law achieves the same playing with his son. I was extremely lucky, I entered a profession where I enjoyed damn near every minute and the stress was momentary, actually exhilarating. My sympathies to all of you in jobs you don't find fulfilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.