PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had this little Gouda clay in my collection for years and never gave it a second thought. It came in a pipe lot I won on eBay and was just kept in the closet to look at from time to time. I got it out and, on a lark, cleaned it and loaded it with HH Burley Flake. Nothing but a cool burn of pure tobacco goodness. This may lead to the purchase of a few more clays!
20180903_034534.jpg

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I think clay is still the best material for making pipes. If you are looking for a pipe which is truly neutral not imparting its own flavor to tobacco but rendering only the true tobacco flavor they are the best. They are indeed used by the blenders to taste their blends. If you like the tavern pipe you have I strongly recommend buying a double walled clay pipe with a vulcanite (or lucite stem) as they are much cooler and don't burn your hand (and your lip) and are more resistant. Lepeltier is still making them and I have one which is great or you can find some old models.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I really like those and the addition of a removable stem makes them really attractive.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
I have a longer clay pipe. Coolest and most dry smoke I've ever had. I've only had it for about a month. I purchased extra long pipe cleaners so I run it through the pipe every smoke. I'm always amazed that the pipe cleaner is perfectly dry after running it through the pipe. Told my wife it's the best pipe I've ever smoked, just wouldn't smoke it in public though.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I've ran four bowls through this one now and am very impressed with it. I too found a dry pipe cleaner.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Told my wife it's the best pipe I've ever smoked

Oh my! I would never do that. I’d tell her the cheap clay is O.K., but “honey, I really do need the high end briar.”
I need to get a clay pipe.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Oh my! I would never do that. I’d tell her the cheap clay is O.K., but “honey, I really do need the high end briar.”
Mine has no say in my pipe expenditures. She actually buys me pipes and tobacco.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Where can you buy these double walled Lepeltier clays or anything similar?]
http://www.lepeltier-pipes.com/

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have been having my eye on this German made clay, church warden length ... just didn't get around to ordering it. I always meant to try clays, but haven't managed to put that wish high enough in the priority list yet. Chasing Embers sure makes these choices easier, I might actually order the darn thing :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.