PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Well, I have almost all my baccy loaded into tobaccocellar and I am sitting at over 50% of my cellar being pure Virginias. Anyone else sitting on over 50% of a single blend type? Is yours more balanced?

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Pretty much all VA and VA/per (I'm sorta lumping the Lakelands in here too because I'm lazy). No latakia save for a burley blend or two that uses it extremely lightly.
I guess I'm at the point where I should use tobaccocellar but I think I just mentioned that I'm lazy. I think. I could check but then I'd have to go back and read my first sentence again.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I've got probably 70% in latakia blends, and although I am definitely enjoying them in the cold weather, I'm now a VA smoker for when it warms up. I'll be building up reserves of Full Virginia Flake, Union Square, and maybe some of the McClellands Virginias when I do another big order.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
All Va/vapers for me, although I am getting in a sizable amount of Mississippi River in shortly so add whatever that is to the mix. Its been on my list to delve into Englishes and Orientals though, have to start somewhere

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Just off the top of my head, my cellar breakdown is 30% Virginia/VAPer, 20% English/Latakia forward Balkans, and 50% Oriental Forward blends (Red Rapparee, Rajah's Court, McClellands Grand Orientals, Durbar, Peretti Royal), with Red Rapparee representing 25% of the cellar by itself.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
At last check ( need to re-inventory ) Had 40 lbs consisting of 19 lbs 4.5 oz of VaPers and Virginia Flakes. The rest is in various aromatics. Just started using mylar food storage zip locks. Wish it was all in them.All tins and last 10+ lbs are in mylar.

I may empty some newer jars into mylar also.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I'm also over 50% Virginia blends. I'd say about 80% of those VA are quantities of blends I enjoy tremendously with the remaining 20% consisting of blends I am yet to try.
From the research I have done, Virginias age the best, so I figured I can't go wrong with my cellar containing mainly Virginia tobaccos. It also helps that they are my favorite genre of pipe tobacco :puffpipe:

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Just started using mylar food storage zip locks. Wish it was all in them.All tins and last 10+ lbs are in mylar.

I may empty some newer jars into mylar also.
What's the logic here? I've never seen anyone say that mylar is superior to glass for storing tobacco.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I am not saying it is superior to glass. I believe it will prove to be just as good over time or at least so close as to make no appreciable difference.
My Logic is that I have converted about 60 pounds now from commercial bulk to mylar. I originally had about 20 plus pounds of tobacco in pounds and pounds of glass. Because of my age and the fact that I will likely move at least three more times in my life, the difference in weight between glass and high grade, food storage, zip lock, foiled, heat sealed bags and glass is a no brainer. The military is now using these bags for rations. The bags I order have pleated bottoms and I record easily all data needed for each bag on it in permanent marker. They are placed in tubs by type. Aromatic, Va, VaPer.
The weight of my cellar is now almost exclusively the weight of the tobacco itself!
I am not abdicating removal tobacco from jars which are already appreciably aged to bags. Metal tins (aro's) are bagged in two to five tins of like tobacco in bags with oxygen removers. This is only for blends having no Va's.
In my case, it was mostly in aromatics when I made the conversion. The aromatics appear to have survived quite well.I am smoking some of them now.
All my Va and VaPer went into bags upon arrival with the exception of about 10 lbs that was still being jarred at the time, and were no more than a year old. All of these will be long term aged.

Weights are approximate from memory may have been more or less. I need to weight it all now that it is bagged.

Just one old guys way of dealing with his cellar. I find myself looking to a time when I cannot handle things like I did at 40 :lol:

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I am about 60% VA and another 15% VAPER. Since those are my two favorites I am good with it. :)

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
About forty pounds tinned and bulk, 60% of which are Va/Vapers and the rest are English/Burley. No aros. All bulk is in heavy aluminized Mylar.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
My cellar isn't all that deep yet but it contains mostly Virginia and VaPers at this point. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.