PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Any fans of this black spiced rum? I got a bottle of it lastnight because the store had it on sale for $13 instead of the usual $22. Didn't realize how strong it was until I got home and took a swig. The 94 proof surprised me a bit. It's a great rum with a lot of flavor and a good kick though. Definitely worth checking out if you're into rums.
I mixed it with some Coke and it was really good. Have decided to name this Coke and Kraken mixture a Greyjoy, as the House Greyjoy sigil is a Kraken.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I love it on the rocks with a pipe! Bob Tate, who used to work here called me a couple of weeks ago and told me about it. I had some in the room at the Chicago Show, and contributed it to the Seattle Pipe Club's party in their room.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
The Kraken is a beast of a drink. Though it makes me a tad bit violent when I drink it :twisted:
But on a more serious note, it's a delicious rum if that your thing. I personally like vodka

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
This is the best rum I have had. If you go to their website they have funny videos related to the monster the Kracken.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In 1830 Alfred Tennyson published the irregular sonnet The Kraken, which described a massive creature that dwelled at the bottom of the sea:
Below the thunders of the upper deep;

Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,

His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep

The Kraken sleepeth: faintest sunlights flee

About his shadowy sides; above him swell

Huge sponges of millennial growth and height;

And far away into the sickly light,

From many a wondrous grot and secret cell

Unnumber'd and enormous polypi

Winnow with giant arms the slumbering green.

There hath he lain for ages, and will lie

Battening upon huge seaworms in his sleep,

Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;

Then once by man and angels to be seen,

In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraken

wonky

Lurker
Nov 26, 2011
Columbia, MO
Awesome reference Brian. I have to say this thread influenced my purchase of the Kraken tonight. Then when I got home.... Pirates of the Carribbean is on. Too perfect. Now what to smoke???

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@wonky: Something nic-heavy I think might be appropriate : ). I have not had Kraken before...will have to give it a try now.
There is something deeply and profoundly archetypal with Sea Monsters in the collective subconscious.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Liquor is sort of like tobacco, it's worth spending a little more to get quality.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I tempted The Kraken a little too hard last night for my birthday party. It took my friends down to the murky depths and has me feeling a little fuzzy in the brain this morning, but I will do battle with the beast again.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
As a fan of the Captain, it sounds like I need to give the Kraken a go. I've seen it but never pulled the trigger. Thanks for bringing it up.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Very good with the doc. And as many have said with ginger beer "preferably home made".

Jul 12, 2011
Just picked up a bottle the other day...great stuff, pipe smoke'in friends and I battled the Kraken just this past evening...many glasses and bowls went down this night...even perhaps a few of his hit the floor as well ;-)

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
It is a fantastic rum, one of the few that I will drink instead of my usually assortment of whiskys.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Awesome rum. My nephew introduced me to the Kraken a few months ago. Was considering using it on my estate pipes, but nah, I'd rather drink it.

Status
Not open for further replies.