PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Just curious if any of the pipe community here also favor wearing kilts either formally or for daily use? Beyond the normal tartan look, there are a variety of what's known as utility kilts. Think of those as kilt jeans.
If so, what are your thoughts, etc. about the kilted life?
(Side note: this is the type of topic that happens when you've been on pipe hiatus for about 8 months for serious dental work.)

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I've not ventured into it....yet. I discovered that I'm roughly 23% Irish in my latest DNA test through ancestry and considered getting one just for the hell of it. Mainly to wear at my local Renaissance Festival we have over near Charlotte, NC every fall. I'm hoping to purchase one in the Irish tartan, as I'm quite unsure of what my family's name was in Ireland at the time, so who knows to which I belong. I'll just go with straight Irish and I'll be satisfied at that. Been on the fence due to the cost of them, however, and with so many different variations of cloth used, weight and all that, I find myself a bit overwhelmed with the selections.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Kilts or other heritage costumes are fine at Irish or German Fest but would look odd at best other times. 8O

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
My son in law has Scottish ancestry, so the principal men at the wedding (him, best man, me as father of the bride) wore kilts. It was nice!
Me and my daughters:
lnFjYNo.jpg

I'm the good looking one in the middle :puffy:
Mike

You guys mean Scottish, right. Being of Irish decent, you'd never catch me or anyone in my family dead in one of them things. I know it has a place in elitist Irish ceremonial stuff, but it's not a... significance. The old joke used to be that the Irish gave the Scots kilts and the damned bagpipes, and then laughed at them for accepting them.
This comes up quite often in pipe chatter. Is this because its another "odd" thing men do, like smoking a pipe? I don't get the link between pipes and kilts, unless we are talking bagpipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At the Scottish Games in the mountains of N.C., I think kilts are standard. Similarly other events that celebrate Scottish or Celtic culture are venues where kilts are welcomed. There's a young father at our church who wears a kilt from time to time -- maybe Blackwatch plaid, or something like it. Years ago -- drifting off the kilt topic just a minute -- there was a guy who wore skirts, specifically not a gay or trans guy by lifestyle or affect. I assumed it was a far-out protest on gender roles, maybe. For a style statement or assertion of individuality, I like to tweak clothing I grew up wearing. I want people to take an interest and be intrigued, but I don't especially want to get questions or double-takes. I'd sure wear a kilt if required as a member of a wedding party. I wouldn't wear one to run errands or attend events where it was not part of the theme. I want to wear clothes which support aspects of my person, not that supplant me.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've been tempted to get one-our surname being 1 of the clan names of clan Mackay. But, the only time I'd have worn it is to local Scottish festivals and, unfortunately, the primary festival I have attended went belly up recently. It's not clear that the Irish ever wore a kilted garment, though, as to tartan, you can find a tartan associated with Ireland known as the Antrim tartan with pattern stemming from a swatch of 17th century tartan fabric discovered there years back.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Given where I live, I can see where they might be comfortable in the extreme heat. But frankly, I just don't think I could pull it off.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
My daughter has asked me to wear a kilt for what will be her 3rd wedding next year. My obvious question was "why?" She indicated that she's done research on my surname and my mom's maiden name, and discovered there may be a Scottish link. My particular surname tracks to Northumberland and an area within miles of the current Scottish border.
I'm not opposed for the special event, but candidly, I'm a bit of an odd duck attitude wise and would consider a utility version (think khaki material) without all the adornment. People that wear them swear by them, and use them for more than ceremony or Ren Fests.
I remain unconvinced at the moment.
Didache - you wore that well. Good on you sir.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kilts aside, I have a terrible weakness for plaids. I feel like that's who I am, in shirts, bathrobes, bow ties. It's one of those things I choose without thinking about it. My dad's mom was Scotch-Irish, which was actually iffy in a tribe of old Massachusetts Yankees who advertised their English ancestry. I suppose if I took one of those DNA tests, I might come up 25% something entirely different, but I don't think I'd do a good job re-jiggering my ancestral identity. I have strong affinities for some other ethnic groups, but I don't get any special recognition or kindred feeling back, so it's probably just shared personal interests. In Scotland, the people seemed hearty, somewhat aggressive or at least assertive, and noticeably solicitous of children (whereas the Brits seemed a little more reserved with kids); the Scots reminded me a lot of my father, who seemed to have a lot of those genetics. With the accent, he could have been one of the guards at the Edinburgh Castle.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Reminds me of the old joke where someone asks a Scot, "Is anything worn under the kilt?"
The Scot replies, "Nae laddie, it's all in perfect working order".
:oops:
Mike

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In Edinburgh, my late wife smelled the poignant whiff of the distilleries, and asked a Scottish passerby what it was, and he answered, "Why it's me, lassie."
Supposedly, male gonads have evolved outside the abdomen because that works better for producing sperm, and maybe testosterone, so maybe the ancient Scots were onto something in keeping their parts cooler. Riskier placement for a payoff in fertility.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Why wear the kilt, or why a third wedding?
It's a long and complex story; not that I'm ashamed of it, but I've long ago come to grips with it and my daughter is my daughter. Understandable question.
Reminds me of the old joke where someone asks a Scot, "Is anything worn under the kilt?"
Just the hose, shoes and flash... ;)

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I were them at heritage events, but for everyday wear no. It's not even everyday wear in the Highlands anymore, so its a stretch for everyday wear in America.
The Irish kilt is a recent invention, round about the time of the Fenian Brotherhood, Gaelic Athletic Association, etc in the lead up to the Easter Uprising to accentuate their cultural differences from Britain. It has since grown, but does not have the same lineage, the Great Kilt nor the philabeg never being widely worn in Ireland in history, except by the Gallowglass mercenary families from the Highlands.
And for sheer practicality, nobody save a man of Highland Scots decent should wear one, too much power. Putting one on an Irishman is like giving a baby a bottle of Jim Beam and a Bazooka, or to quote Gus in Lonesome Dove "What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak minded." :D

Status
Not open for further replies.