PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
So lochinvar wrote:
The Irish kilt is a recent invention, round about the time of the Fenian Brotherhood, Gaelic Athletic Association, etc in the lead up to the Easter Uprising to accentuate their cultural differences from Britain. It has since grown, but does not have the same lineage, the Great Kilt nor the philabeg never being widely worn in Ireland in history, except by the Gallowglass mercenary families from the Highlands.
And he has the right of it. The kilt is a fairly recently revided adoption of Irish heritage, and for an Irishman is likely to be more frankly political than for a Scot. Being of Irish heritage, being of generally contrary nature, looking always for an opportunity to stick a thumb in an English eye, being mindful of practical comfort, and having just damned handsome knees, I have several kilts, and wear them in various places and setting. I don't wear tartan, as there is no Irish tartan (not really), but have a couple in heavy black twill, one in kahki and one Irish saffron kilt for more formal events. (The history of the saffron kilt is an interesting and distinctive one.)
lochinvar also writes (in full good humor, I know):
And for sheer practicality, nobody save a man of Highland Scots decent should wear one, too much power. Putting one on an Irishman is like giving a baby a bottle of Jim Beam and a Bazooka, or to quote Gus in Lonesome Dove "What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak minded." :D
In fact, about every third time I wear a kilt, some fellow will approach and ask, with a smirk, "and so what tartan is that?" Or "Oh, what clan does that tartan come down from?" Without exception, these fellows are always pipers (as in bagpipes, not smoking pipes) because pipers are well known for their simply obsessive dedication to punctilious detail in the wearing of kilts and all the associated bits and bobs. [Ordinary Scots, even of the kilt-wearing variety, do not seem similarly compelled to interlope.] This high-handed, officious snippery is so predictable that I have developed several standard replies, all of which I deliver with a hearty smile, none of which is acceptable for so polite a setting as this message board.
If you wish to wear a kilt, I say have it, wherever your people arose. They are comfy, practical, and smart looking. Be mindful, though, of its length. Properly it needs to fall more or less exactly to the center of your kneecaps. Too long or too short and you risk looking . . . well. . . damned silly.
Aly McRase explains it here. WARNING: This song contains language that is not suitable for those upset by language that is not suitable. But play the video link here anyway -->
THE KILT SONG

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Great...now I'm going to hear that song (at least the words I understood) in my sleep. 8O

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
My favorite kilt song, "Donald where's yer trousers" by 1 of my favorite contemporary Celtic groups, Enter the Haggis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_VwcgEoA24

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Here in The Faroe Islands we have a national costume as well. It is not a kilt, more like a renaissance suit with long, woollen socks, knickers, vest, woollen coat, a lot of silver, buttons, buckles and ceremonial daggers. The women are fabulous with a silver chain crossed at the breast, both covering and drawing attention to it.

The suit is worn proudly at weddings and special holidays. It creates a joyful mood and makes schnapps taste better. If the kilt has similar effects, by all means, wear it!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
tslex- You would be correct, all good humor. The truth is, as in all things, there are people who tell you how you are doing whatever you are doing wrong and the Kilt Cops are an active lot. Even the concept of the specific clan tartan has been questioned as to how far back it goes, the district tartan appearing older. The best thing to do is wear what has significance to you.
Whatever you choose, Ulster district tartan, MacLean of Duart or saffron they are way more fun than the same pair of Dockers day in day out. Be a peacock amongst penguins.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I have 6 kilts, and wear them periodically whenever the mood strikes me. I never cared for the Utility Kilts. I always felt they looked a little too much like a Bucket Boss.
41WkGPpHVsL._SY450_.jpg

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
@unkleyoda, agreed. My heavy twill kilts do have a pocket or two, but the standard Utilikily layout -- while practical I suppose -- isn't what you'd call very sleek. And now, thanks to you, every time I see one, I will think of the Duluth Trading bucket toolbox thing I have.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
didache, that is some regalia! You look great, convincing in every way, like some Scottish lord. Footwear and all.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Dirk is a big-ish knife worn at the waist.
Sgian-dubh is tranditionally a much smaller blade worn in the stocking. Although, that said:
1. See? People cannot help themselves being fussy about kilts. Although, in truth. . . .
2. . . . your traditional Highlander likely had all manner of blades affixed all about him, and if his sock would hold up a dirk -- or a Claymore! -- he'd doubtless have stuck one in there, because .. .
3. . . . unlike my Irish forebears -- a peaceful, poetical lot, who fought only with great reluctance, albeit with the singular ferocity born of both righteousness and a desire to get the fighting over so one could return to ones whiskey and songs -- the Scots are quarrelsome, angry lot, much given to reaving and feuding and random bloodshed, all likely because they are dyspeptic from too much haggis and a want of sunshine.
:)
The great Gaels of Ireland

Are the men who God made mad

For all their wars are merry

And all their songs are sad.
G.K. Chesterton

Ballad of the White Horse

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Actually tslex there is at least some truth to your jibing comments as the clans of the Scottish highlands and Isles did tend to war with 1 another for brief periods of time over control of lands. While I do not recall the Irish families doing much in-fighting. In fact, some of the clans from the Isles that came to Antrim in the 16th century went to war with some of the Irish families to wrest away control of lands there. As for the haggis, nothing a little scotch won't wash down. :wink:

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
While my family was not a member of the clan responsible for wresting land away from the Irish in Antrim in the aforementioned, given that they lived in the area controlled by them, odds are fairly good they were among the families invited in from Scotland by them in the early 1600's.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
I have been wanting a kilt for a long time now, just never made the investment - other than a sport kilt for a Warrior Dash with my son
I'm half Irish from my Mother, Grandparents came over from Ireland, and Scottish on my Fathers side - have my family tree traced back to 1565 in Carrick Scotland - so we are lowland Scotts. DNA shows up a something like 80% Scottish and Irish heritage. I don't come from a high name so no family tartan but would qualify for the Carrick tartan according to the tartan museum in Franklin TN
I'm also an Army Chaplain, ordained minister so I could wear the clergy tartan as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just got home from the Scottish games and gathering on the Monterey Peninsula (CA), where many a kilt were seen. Some impressive, some the minimum required to take place in the athletic competitions. The caber toss looks like a crushed foot waiting to happen, but no one was injured while we were there. I've not worn a kilt since I was a tyke, and have mixed feelings about doing so now.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Am jealous jpmcwjr. Now that my favorite local Scottish festival is no more I am festival-less, though I may have to try the 1 remaining Scottish gathering in the state which is blended into a renaissance festival. Never really liked watching the games. I went for the music, the food, and the regalia. Checked the clan tents.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am the state commissioner for my clan society, as well as being an active member of my local St Andrew's Society. I own and wear a real kilt - not a utilikilt, not a low cost knock-off - the whole 8 yards, 13 oz wool, real deal. My forum pic shows me dressed in just such garb.

Status
Not open for further replies.