PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2012
Mid-Atlantic, USA
I recently saw the movie, also in the regular 2D without the high frame rate. Overall, a good movie, although certainly not a faithful adaptation of the book. There is as much Peter Jackson as there is Tolkien in this film, which is fitting because it is Jackson's movie.
The cinematography was beautiful, as was Howard Shore's score and the acting performances by the main actors. I could have done without the increased use of CGI animation in lieu of traditional makeup effects, particularly in regards to the orcs and goblins, but I suppose that is the future.
The substantial use of pipes in the movie was definitely a positive, and in my humble opinion, in keeping with Tolkien's affinity for tobacco smoking - the last line of the book references pipe smoking "...and handed him the tobacco-jar" (The Hobbit, page 287). Some of the pipes depicted in the movie were very interesting. If you see the movie, pay attention to the pipes used by the dwarves. It would be interesting to learn about the specific pipes used in the film.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I might see this tomorrow. The wife is a bit turned off by the mixed reviews. I figure we should give it a shot and decide for ourselves if Jackson went all George Lucas on these three movies.

keith40

Lurker
Apr 25, 2011
Let's not forget about Smaug. The dragon standard for which all other dragons must measure up to. Only 10 frames show bits of him but totally worth it. And is voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch aka BBC Sherlock Holmes.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Finally saw it. Good movie. I wont give any spoilers but I will say its worth seeing. Wish I could've brought my churchwarden tho.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I went and saw it recently, I very much enjoyed it and thought it was well done. I still like the book better but judging it as a movie it was great and I look forward to the next 2. The pipe smoking scenes where great and it's all through the movie. I to am interested in the different pipes of the dwarves, each one is different and interesting. I went with my teenage kids and they enjoyed it too. First time I have been to the theater in a long time.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
The movie was a huge let down for me. It was so divergent from the book it could be argued that it was a story unto its self with borrowed characters. The dwarves were so wizard of oz it was hard to watch. Another Hollywierd turd. They crapped in my eyes and called it a movie again.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I agree with locopony. I am a huge Tolkein fan and reader. The movie deviates too much from the book and appendices and relies heavily on special effects, some of them crazy and beyond any reason or credibility even for a fantasy. The dwarves did not resemble dwarves as locopony stated. The Gollum scene was the best part of this movie.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
They crapped in my eyes and called it a movie again
:rofl:
From the trailers, I can tell they made the dwarves a lot more triumphant and heroic than they were in the book. In the book most of them were bumbling, and socially awkward.
Greatly deviating from the spirit of the book isn't doing it justice.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
SPOILER ALERT:
Okay, not really giving away much here, but wanted to put up the warning just in case.
I saw it yesterday. I thought Martin Freeman, who plays Bilbo Baggins, did a very good job. My wife mentioned she thought some of the fight scenes were a bit long. There are a lot of things added that aren't in the book. Radaghast was an odd addition in so many ways. The addition of back story on the tower of Dol Guldur and the necromancer/Sauron was fine. I didn't mind Radaghast and welcomed more back story on Sauron. I don't think the addition of the "chasing" character was necessary at all. I told my wife that, if they felt it was necessary to have him in there to up the action, maybe they should have had second thoughts about whether they needed to make a single book into three movies that rival the Lord of the Rings in length. I don't think the changes ruined the story, but some of them just did not need to be there. The riddle scene with Gollum was well done. I didn't care for how Bilbo's answer to one of the riddles changed from a misunderstanding and luck to him actually figuring out the answer. In some ways it had me questioning if Peter Jackson, who claims to be a fan of the books, really understands The Hobbit at all. It had its issues, but, with so much bad press, I was pleasantly surprised actually.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
In the book most of them were bumbling, and socially awkward.
With the exception of Thorin, Dwalin and Balin, the rest were portrayed pretty much as you describe.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
My local tabacco shop is doing a LOTR's night Saturday night where they are going to be showing the moviesn they say brind your own pipe and enjoy our leaf. Also my favorite Pipe shop has new blends one is "Longbottom Leaf" very tasty and "Rivendale" I've yet to try it.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
I also didn't mind that Radagast was plopped into the plot of the film so much, however, I wasn't too keen on his depiction. Tolkien stated that of the Istari Gandalf was the least fair and most aged to look upon. In the movie, Gandalf looked handsome next to Radagast, who actually looked kinda.... moldy.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I watched it last weekend at the IMAX (was a gift from my wife) all by my self :D ... although it did not follow the book in great detail (as most movies derived from books don't) I thoroughly enjoyed it.
When I watch these movies I watch them for the pure eye candy and story line... I make sure not to start comparing every scene to the books, otherwise I'll never actually enjoy it.
Anyways... I loved it and really recommend it... and yes, by the end of the movie I so wanted to smoke a bowl, especially since I had my pipe on me. Had I been able to get away with it, I would have smoked throughout the entire movie :P

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
maybe someday someone will write a great book that a lot of people like, and then they'll make a movie that's EXACTLY like the book. I don't think it's ever happened.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
@Zanthal ... it will never happen.

First of all when you read a book its a pretty subjective. The author describes a character, thing or situation, but you as the reader still have to take his words and picture it in your head... you and I can read the same story but will have two different visions of whats being described.

Second... to make a movie that follows a book to a tee will have to be an epic several movie series with each movie being 3-4 hours. Books have SO much info that you will never be able to reproduce it in a manner that will yield you a profit.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
It's certainly more Peter Jackson's The Hobbit than it is J.R.R. Tolkien's. It has plenty of flaws, but was still, at least to me, pretty enjoyable.
It just never fails to amaze me that in a world filled with stories like The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Sherlock Holmes stories, and so many more wonderful others...
...that crap like Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey exists. :roll:

And has been published. And has made millions.
Kinda makes you lose faith in humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.