Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
The Good: Bigger Variety of Tobaccos

The Bad: Bigger Variety of Tobaccos

While it's nice to find darned near everything you can think of, having to buy one tobacco from one place because the other does not have it can be a pain. A tobacco I wanted was only available at two Online Dealers. Neither had a free shipping option, leading me to...
The Good: Many places offer free shipping over 99$

The Bad: Many places offer free shipping over 99$

What a wonderful thing this is, 'cept I had to buy the one tobacco I really wanted for 25$/tub. Cheap, right? Cheapest shipping they had was 9.99. This means that I had to buy other brands unique to a distributor from... other places. Oh well, they have free shipping over 99$, right? I already blew 35$ on a 25$ tub. Now I have to build my order over at retailer B to 100$. Okay, P&C just went up 3$ an 8 ounce can with another fave tobacco. Should I build up my basket to 100$? Easy to do. So many good choices. But wait! SPC has Low Country tobaccos, a few that are far superior to Lane, McC, et al. Oh, crap. I want some Choward's Mints! 4noggins has that. Pretty reasonable. But I could go direct to Choward's and buy box lots. No, 4Noggins, as have the other retailers, been great so far.

Ooops, there was that smoker's candle at SPC. Wife and I love Pumpkin scented. Oh well, I can go to Amazon or Walmart and get them cheaper, right? Nope, they cost 4$ per candle more. So, 100$ for candles at SPC. 100$ for gum at 4noggins. 100$ for tobacco I am too embarrassed to name from P&C. Oh, and then the original tub that only cost a Hamilton more.

I am so glad my kids have been through college and will be able to pay my debts when I croak. Life is good, ain't it?

For those who take me so seriously, I did not buy from 4... oh, crap! I forgot that Pipestud's order came today, too.

Never mind...

Most online "retailers" or vendors are actually offering everyone almost wholesale prices. Meaning, that if you walked into a B&M tobacconist, you will not find the online prices anything close to what they have to offer as retail to be able to keep the lights on, rent paid, and employees fed, all the while the owners live prayer to prayer, because no one gets rich at B&M retail in this world we've created.

So, you are getting hugely deep discounts, and still are fretting over making "free shipping"?
We've become so spoiled. We compare one online vendor to the next, all offering bottom of the barrel discounts, because a butler building full of tobacco costs much less to maintain than a store with any sort of appeal to it.
Escudo retails for $19-25 depending on local taxes. We get it online at $12. Even with paying shipping it is less than retail costs.
There doesn't seem to be a problem, except the ones we create for ourselves.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For me, spending $10 for shipping is cheaper than travelling to a B&M, paying full retail, and paying exorbitant taxes -- not to mention time saved. I've got it pretty good thanks to online commerce.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If a vendor has what I want, I pretty much have to pay what the asking price is. I can shop vendors looking for the "best" price or, I can buy what I want at the price asked and move along with my day. I simply do not have the time to spend always looking for the best deal. I have to spend too much time on this site and doing a bit of work now and then. :)
I do the same whether buying a car or groceries. I don't need to find the absolute lowest price possible, I'm not in competition with other shoppers. Some, though, like to know they have payed less than the "other guy." I "pinch" dollars, not pennies.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
The moral of the story is that I would complain if I was hung with a new rope.

Cosmo caught that.
As to Mixture 79, the one I was talking about is not even that well thought of

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Chowards shout out! I'm still looking for the pipe tobacco that tastes like Violet Mints or Scented Gum

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
You really like Choward's?
I think Grousemoor has a violet or lavender scent to it. I keep a tin handy.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Yes Grousemoor does have a violet touch. The violet seems to be missing from the plug however

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would never smoke any of these, but I hear things: St. Bruno, Condor Ready Rubbed, Kendal Cream Flake.

What I'm seeing is soapy tasting stuff must have some violet.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Some of us are trying to bring back memories of having to wash out mouths out with soap

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
"B&M tobacconist... you will not find the online prices anything close to what they have to offer as retail to be able to keep the lights on, rent paid, and employees fed,"
Spot on.
Welcome to change. Online is killing their customer base through B&M closure that results in folks out of work, whom then can't even afford their prices because rent, milk and eggs take priority. This is not just isolated to tobacco. Access is going to be problematic, regardless of wealth or status.
In lieu of all these interesting possibilities, I just received my first packets of Burly and Virginia seed. Tomatoes are gonna have some company next season. I can make decent pipes out of Bamboo and cob. Life is gonna be a little harder, and less complicated for many. Enjoy what you have, while you still have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.