PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Yesterday afternoon HBO released the latest re-cut of Godfather I and Godfather II set in chronological order with many, many deleted scenes restored.
I still consider the first two stand alone films as two of the best movies ever created. But, this latest version, is pretty damned spectacular in it's own right.
Certain characters are developed, plot lines are enhanced and the legend just digs a bit deeper. At 7 hours and 16 minutes it was two day event but certainly well worth the time invested.
Fnord

Mar 30, 2014
wv
They corrected the timeline? I've always wanted to edit them so the origins of Vito Andolini were shown from the start. They need to add subtitles to the restaurant scene as well.
GQkka8nl.jpg

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
That was fun, and I liked the added scenes. At the same time, it felt disjointed because I'm used to Parts 1 & 2. Nice way to spend an evening ... with several pipes.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Godfather 1 & 2 are great gangster flix, they don't compare to the originals though. Scarface, Little Caesar, Public Enemy

Well....everyone is entitled to their own IMO...and mine is that the above are hard to watch. Hard to suspend disbelief when the acting is on par with a bad high school theatrical production which is endemic of movies made in the 30's. Perhaps these are easier on the eyes if one lived through the age.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
The Godfather for me was one of my top 3 movies. Of course I'm biased. Being Italian and growing up right after that era the movie was portrayed, it brought back memories. The wedding scene? There wasn't an Italian wedding that I went to that was not as close to what was shown in that movie. Including my own wedding!
The song "La luna 'mezzo mare" my family used to sing all the time. Each time they sang it they would change the words.
That movie was as close to portraying an Italian family living in America as I have seen. My grandfather was still alive when he watched the movie for the first time, and I remember him crying when the Ellis Island scene was shown.
To this day, many of my paisans, and I get together once a year to eat, drink vino, and watch the Godfather.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
That movie was as close to portraying an Italian family living in America as I have seen.
BTW, before I get smacked, when I wrote the above statement I was not suggesting that every Italian family also lived the lives of the mafia.
Firget'a bout it!!!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The Gidfather Epic( time lines are re done) has been around for over 30 years. I rented it a few times in the 80'. This new version is something I am loolong forward to watching. I need to DVR it.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Well then i'd like to see some of the bad high school plays you've been watching. Marlon Brando get's his voice in the godfather straight from James Cagney in Winner Take All. I don't see how you could possibly call those three bad actors.
They weren't bad actors, it's just that acting was bad in their time and these three films, particularly, translate poorly relative to films that came later in a similar genre such as the Maltese Falcon.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
As Frank said, though not all of us from Italian backgrounds were Mafia, this trilogy for me was more about the heritage. Brought back memories, even though the setting was way before my time. Much of the tradition that is seen in the movie was still strongly adhered to in my family growing up.
Loved all 3, and have the box set. Very interested to see the updated versions with new scenes.

Dec 24, 2012
OK, now someone is shitting on Bogey, the greatest actor and cinematic icon of the 20th century. I just can't abide that smack talk. We may have to step outside and settle this.
The only one of those three names that should be uttered in the same great as Bogey is EGR -- the other two are almost forgotten and will soon be mere footnotes in the history of cinema.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Cfreud: Thank you for an intelligent comment.
Teddy: Thank you for a whimsical riff on a classic U.S. film poster that has become iconic.
IndianaFrank & Skrapsoftobacco: Loved your comments about growing Italian-American and saw many of those same activities in family restaurants throughout SE Kansas. To this day, thirty years later, they remain joyous memories. I envy you both.
Harris: I promise. You're going to see scenes you've never seen before. God's truth.
WTH, Bigpond and Scarface? Go start your own thread. Cinema, like any art form, matures. Misters Bogart, Cagney and Robinson were forces of nature who chewed up miles of film stock. Those cats were trailblazers.
And what would a cultural thread be without our resident Canadian Perry Mason threatening to whip somebody's ass in the parking lot? (BTW, Counselor, if you haven't seen i, Orson Welles directed EGR brilliantly in "The Stranger." It's really a piece of work.)
Fnord

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
WTH, Bigpond and Scarface? Go start your own thread. Cinema, like any art form, matures. Misters Bogart, Cagney and Robinson were forces of nature who chewed up miles of film stock. Those cats were trailblazers.

LOL! We did... this is it. :nana:
Peck said:

OK, now someone is shitting on Bogey, the greatest actor and cinematic icon of the 20th century. I just can't abide that smack talk. We may have to step outside and settle this.

Couldn't agree more.
Scar said:
Well bigpond everyone is entitled to their own opinion..even when those opinions are wrong ha ha.

We're of one mind!

Dec 24, 2012
Cagney's performances have not aged well, and Muni is all but forgotten now. Bogey's films are still popular, but Cagney's, not so much.
As I said, EGR is a legend and I never commented on Raft, but I am a fan of his as well.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Bogie, EGR, and the rest from that era are nothing compared to Brando. He is recognized as the greatest actor of the 20th century and it isn't even close.
I could have been a contender, enough said.
fnord, have it set to record the next time it shows, cannot wait.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
WOW, fnord started an interesting thread. I can sense tempers rising.
Perhaps everyone should sit down and have a meeting. Like they did with the five families. Then give a big hug and have a class of vino. :lol:

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
The problem with Cagney, EGR is that they all seemed overly exaggerated. It's like they were still acting on stage where big movements and loud distinct speech was required so the guy in the nosebleeds could see you.
Brando was a dramatic master. It wasn't about screaming at the top of your lungs or using some corny, stereotypical accent, it was about evoking emotion in the audience. Brando did that in spades.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
That's not a corny accent in the Godfather... it's cotton balls. :mrgreen:

Dec 24, 2012
Glad to learn that you have seen the light, scarface. The fact that your view has evolved to the correct one displays a great deal of maturity on your part. You are to be congratulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.