PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Military stem GBD's are not common, another interesting find. What is the finish stamp on that one and shape number (guessing 549)

milehighme

Lurker
May 18, 2015
All I see on it is Militaire and 9740 for the shape. I'm just getting into the piping world. Sorry I can't be more help then that.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Any opinions on the French Speciale Standard's? How do they compare to the British ones? There is a Zulu I like the look of. Thanks in advance...great thread.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a French made "Originale", it is a terrific pipe. I think the Originale is a step above the Speciale. I've worked on a Speciale and found it to be equal of the GBD British-made counterparts.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I suspect the 9438 would be available in the 9438, but I've never seen one.

That one came from Smokers Haven and was pretty much delivered in that condition. I lightened the rim darkening and worked out some bruises. It is actually a better smoking pipe than my 9242.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
So I got my 1687 in the mail today, just stunning. Hands down one of my nicest looking/feeling pipes, smoked one bowl so far it it smokes as good as it looks. I really feel like I missed out not looking at GBD's earlier.
The stem work is really nice but seems like acrylic. Is that Black Perspex? The only other GBD I have is a International with an acrylic replacement stem by JT Cooke so I can't use it for comparison. I don't know but I just assumed they used vulcanite.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Perspex is acrylic, some of their colored stems are as well (Bronze Velvet). Unless the black stem is from a Cadogan era pipe (no brass rondell), it should be vulcanite.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
That's what I assumed, but I had seen this reply from GL Pease from one of the old news groups:

Prestige

"This pipe features a BLACK HANDCUT PERSPEX mouthpiece which precludes

discoloration and 'bad taste' after continual smoking. Only the finest of

the fine-grained bowls are selected for this handsome matt virgin finished

briar."

Mine is a Virgin Collector(not prestige) and has the brass rondell and I would swear it is Lucite, its pretty obvious when I put it in my mouth, is there a good way to tell with out taking a lighter to it to see if I smell rubber (just kidding)?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's an interesting shape number, 9456 in a Commander finish. Brass rondell with the circular COM, an oddball. More interesting is the 9456 shape number, which is listed as an Apple with straight stem, not in this case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unsmoked-1970s-GBD-COMMANDER-SUPER-NICE-FULL-BENT-BILLARD-70S-COPPER-MINT-/361081621399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5412244b97
$_57.JPG

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Has anyone heard of the GBD model Autumn Gold? Is it a pre-1980 model? It has the stem rhondell, but that's not always foolproof.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
New model according to pipedia: ''Metal rondelles were discontinued after the merger with Comoy. The brass rondell made a reappearance on new production GBD's. The new lines are Autumn Gold, Bermuda, Facet, Pub and CW (Churchwarden).''

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm new to the GBD club thanks to a recent purchase from member MrMotoyoshi.
Both pipes are from the "Prehistoric" line. The first is a sandblasted Billiard (shape 133) with a perspex stem and the other is a sandblasted pot (shape 9493) also with Perspex stem.
While I have not had a chance to smoke either pipe yet, I'm pleased with the initial inspection! :)