Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Post some pictures in the show off thread. Let's see those beauts.
Thanks bonehed. That info must have been recently added to the site. I don't remember any mention of the newer GBD's with rhondelles.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, here's yet another 9456, a Granitan model that I recently restored.

And a curious City DeLuxe "Gold Star" that is also stamped "Jollyboy". It has a Reg No. 6918829, but I couldn't find anything on that number. I've seen this shape before, but can't remember where. It is also the first City Deluxe I've worked on that did not have a twin-bore stem. This one just took a minor clean-up.

Both pipes now belong to forum member scrooge.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Sorry I missed this before, but the Jollyboy was indeed a special shape of the City de Luxe pipe. It was introduced at the end of 1922 or the start of 1923, and the sales pitch was this:
"If you are inclined to be a "wet smoker," and many smokers are, you will welcome the introduction of the "Jollyboy" illustrated below.

This pipe has been especially designed by the makers of the well-known GBD pipes, to prevent the nicotine-laden moisture in the stem of the pipe reaching the mouth of the smoker. This advantage, obtained by a specially constructed bowl and stem, does not depend on any patent cartridge or filter, and combines the best features of a Bent and a Straight Pipe. It is light for its size, does not drag on the teeth, and as the bowl is well below eye level it is particularly suitable for Golfers and Billiard Players."
Like the other shapes within the City de Luxe catalog, it sold for 5/6. The reg. number, which reflects the design, was there from the beginning.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is interesting information Jon. Back in those days, it was all about a dry smoke, achieved primarily via a stinger of sorts. This Jollyboy now belongs to member Scrooge, I wonder how it smoked.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Anecdotally I've heard they smoke well. But there are so few floating around it's really tough to say. And yes, I agree; it's yet another approach to eliminating moisture; a popular and perennial fixation of that era.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just noted the "suitable for golfers and billiards players". While I think I could shoot pool with a lit pipe clenched, not so with anything but a putter. I'm afraid I'd bite the button off on the first tee.
And I believe in that era, at least in GB, gentlemen wore jackets and ties while pursuing the little white pellet.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Picked up these pipes at a junk shop. I don't usually look for GBD but these just spoke to me.
GBD Unique

20150905_075139_zpshn2tuh5q.jpg

Digby 357

20150905_075239_zpsgx5akh7w.jpg

May have gotten myself hooked on GBDs.

May 31, 2012
A Unique Briar,

no doubt about that!

Truth in advertising at it's best.
Magnificent blast,

and one of the most appealing "stack" shapes I've seen.
Congrats!
Love the Digby prince too,

perefectly executed shaping I'd say.
Enjoy them well!

:puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I only have the one GBD. Actually, it's an MRC ("A. Marechal, Ruchon and Cie" ) with silver army mount and amber stem. The silver is marked "AO" for A. Oppenheimer & Co., who by that time owned GBD. The date mark is for 1916.
RHgFSvl.jpg

sSbtE6S.jpg

oQzEmpw.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Hadn't noticed that, tuold. That's really interesting. It must mean that certain shapes are only made in France or only made in England, but would that mean that other shapes are produced in both countries? I'm trying to imagine why that would matter to the buyer.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The GBD Prehistoric (9437) with Perspex stem has become one of my favorite English blend smokers.
It's one of only two pipes that I can fit my thumb into.
004-002-3064.jpg

I also have this Prehistoric Billiard (9489) also with Perspex stem which is a great Va/Per pipe:
004-002-4542.jpg

Reactions: rogers

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For a long time, I was very particular about my GBD's, they had to be stamped "London,England". The French shapes are a little different and I've since learned they smoke just as good as the London made pipes. (ie the two 9438 shapes are decidedly different)