PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here

"From the bench of Pipemaker, Yiannos Kokkinos, from Cyprus comes the Olivewood Volcano Sitter. Keeping it smokey with some F&T Cut Virginia Plug."

"From the bench of Pipemaker, Luis Castaño of Spain comes this oval shank Billiard made from Olivewood. Keeping it smokey with F&T Cut Virginia Plug."

"This Ropp is very different to me as I've not seen another quite like it. The bowl is sideways, the top portion retains the Cherry Wood Bark, the rest of the pipe is smooth and it has a diamond shape shank and Saddle stem, the model is Supreme but no numbers as to what the shape is. Keeping it smokey with some Villiager 1888 After Dinner."

"We're getting down to the end of the racks, should have gone through everything I own except for the ones in the infirmary awaiting repairs or restoration and three enroute. This is another of the ones I own by Pipemaker, Thomas Cristiano, a Bent Rhodesian with metal accent and triangle shank which allows it to actually sit. Keeping it smokey with some F&T Cut Virginia Plug."

"This next pipe came to me as just the stummel w/o any idea of what the stem looked like or who made it.
Once I received it and cleaned it up I was able to make out the maker as Jost, which was a tobacco shop in St. Louis, MO, the model is a Belvedere and it appears to be basically a Freehand with plateau bottom and an intricate and ornate band. The ivory stem in it is one I had from a pipe that burned out and fit it although a slight bend might make it look better. Keeping it smokey with the last of the F&T Cut Virginia Plug from this tin."

"This next pipe is marked Universiale Brevettato Superigiencio on the side inside of a fancy scroll type surround and radica 1936 across the top of the shank, the stem is a unique system that screws in using a knurled wheel attached to the horn stem, and the bowl is oval shaped both inside and out. I haven't had any luck finding any in finding any information about the company so they must have not been of any influence in the pipe industry but looking at the way it's put together and what was used my guess is they came to being prior to WW II and once the war was over never started up again but these are my conclusions nothing more. Keeping it smokey with some Villagers 1888 After Dinner."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"I've enjoyed many dry smokes in my bent by Michael Butera that I always knew when the right straight one came along I'd nab it and today was that day."

"Hirschl & Bendheim Company better known as H&B Corn Cobs. This is the first Corn Cob from anywhere I've ever seen with an oval shank, the inside of the bowl has some hardwood glued in place and it is angled toward the bottom of the bowl, the hard plastic stem has a brass tube embedded in it that goes down the inside of the shank to meet with the wooden piece making a pipe cleaner slide right down to where it should be on a well drilled pipe and it has a wooden plug, previous owner must have enjoyed it a lot since they painted a red ring around it where thevstem meets the shank. Keeping it smokey with some Villiagers 1888 After Dinner flakes."

"Although I lost the original stem to this porcelain pipe by Zenith of Holland I had a very old extension to an ancient corn cob I had that burned out and since it fit the Zenith that was how I smoked it until one day I received some tobacco I had purchased and there was an MM mini cob in the package and the stem from that mini fit the extension perfectly. Now smoking the pimped out Zenith porcelain Volcano Churchwarden, sure beats a porcelain Throne, with Villiagers 1888 After Dinner keeping it smokey."

"Tony Fillenwarth makes some excellent pipes he can also be very creative and whimsical. This pipe is whimsical to the Nth degree, he calls it The 2 Face Pipe. The pipe brings me back 50 years when I was reading my latest copy of Hot Rod Magazine. There was a cartoon with 2 cars at the starting line getting ready to drag race. Fords and Chevy muscle cars were the camps most were in as far as rivalries were concerned. One of the cars had the body of a Mustang on one side facing the Ford crowd and on the other side was the body of a Camaro, the owner had welded the two halves together. As the race went on the 1/2 Chevy 1/2 Ford was winning and both sides were cheering like mad people and he wins the race. Obviously he'd forgotten you turn your car around for a victory run back to the starting line, many beer bottles were seen being thrown from both sides. I hope I don't get any beer bottles thrown at me whilst I smoke this once it arrives but if I need a smile I think just looking at this pipe will do it, cheers."

"Keeping it smokey with some Germains Uncle Tom's in the Butz Choquin Brasilia Billiard with horn stem."

"Keeping it smokey with some Esoterica Pembroke in a rusticated Olivewood made by Pipemaker John Barrett."

"Not exactly sure what Pipemaker John Hines calls this shape but I guess calling it a stacked Rhodesian wouldn't be much of a stretch. Keeping it smokey with some McClelland #22 Virginia Flake."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"Did a lot of digging to find out about the Pipemaker of this pipe. Made by Daniel Jud who became a hobby Pipemaker in 1990. After making a trip to St. Claude France, where most of his Briars and stems would come from, he began making 40-60 pipes/year. He continues to use briar from Morrocco, Spain and Algeria today. This Classic diamond shank Bulldog is one of his earlier pipes gifted to me in unsmoked condition. Keeping it smokey with some Bob's Chocolate Flake on its maiden smoke."

"This next pipe is made from Red Pipestone taken from pieces fallen from Pipestone National Monument which can only be done by Native Americans which Pipemaker, John Barrett, is. The dual circles with dot in the center is John's logo, he used it multiple times on the shank to give it a corn cob appearance but if you find a pipe with a double circle and dot either burned in or stamped on the shank that is one of his pipes. Keeping it smokey with some Esoterica Pembroke."

"Another from Pipemaker John Barrett is this one made from a Hickory branch that came down in a storm on his property the shank is Hickory with a shell casing end and multi colored stem. Keeping it smokey with Esoterica Pembroke."

"Keeping it smokey with some Orlik Golden Sliced in a bent Brylon pipe by WDC."

"Don't know if this fellow still makes pipes but I purchased it directly from him on one of the pipe forums in 2013. Marked V. Brior (don't recall his forum name though) is this well made and great smoking blasted nosewarmer with red and silver accent and amber colored stem. Keeping it smokey with Orlik Golden Sliced."

"I'll be taking a little stroll in a moment as I keep it smokey with some Orlik Golden Sliced in the Todd Harris Dublin Morta with ivory colored stem and aluminum band."

"
One summer my father decided the retaining walls we had on our property needed to be replaced rather than simply repaired so with the city ripping up the cobblestone streets to build a series of underground drain culverts to help move water to the river systems to prevent flooding like we experienced several times in the mid 50's we ended up with 24 dump truck loads of cobblestones. I had the job of clearing the cobblestones out of the dirt they came with and stacking them for transport on the weekends and evenings when wall construction was happening then I would wheelbarrow loads to where the work was being done, I'd also deliver wheelbarrow loads of cement when needed. I still recall my father's reply to when I delivered the last load of cobblestones, "if I knew that was the last load I'd of used it first" I'll let you apply your interpretation of an Italian accent to that. So here is the last smokable pipe in my racks, there are pipes in the infirmary awaiting repair or restoration, a few I don't plan to keep that will end up being sold and several still awaiting arrival. As my dad said "if I knew this was the last one I'd have smoked it first" hope you've enjoyed the journey, regards."

"The Pipemaker behind the M Pipes brand is Marinko Neralić of Croatia. I chose this Nautilus Morta with tortoise shell stem to celebrate smoking my way through my pipe collection. Keeping it smokey with some nearly 11 y/o sugar flecked Esoterica Stonehaven is practically a celebration of its own but a rather fitting tobacco for this beautiful pipe, regards."

"I don't lose tampers as a rule but I do have a plethora to chose from. Because I have sub group 1 size pipes up to largish group 4 size I have tampers that fir every need. Many were gifts, some accompanied the pipe as part of the set. There's everything here you could imagine, golf tee's, wooden rods, Czech tool, a Dunhill White Spot, a Silver one branded Tiffany, one from stone, Morta and brass and my every day carry by Languiole, if I get stuck w/o a tamper it's my own fault but I have dried grape vine cuttings out in my yard for that reason.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"Brisk morning as I head out puffball hunting keeping it smokey with some Orlik Golden Sliced in the Vergin lightly blasted Morgan-Weibe collaboration pipe."

"Here is one of my favorite customized pipes. A Falcon Black Shillelagh with a customized Sea Rose briar bowl by Yves Backstoner of Switzerland. Keeping it smokey with some Orlik Golden Sliced."

"Keeping it smokey with some Orlik Golden Sliced on another brisk day in the very early Kaywoodie Allbriar with 4 hole briar stem."

"Fast becoming my favorite everyday Cob is this MM Twain ( the 13y/o Diplomat with Plum Forever Stem is in semi retirement to keep it around for more years ) with latest iteration of the Forever Stem in what I call Creamsicle and White swirl. Having some 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury from a package I just opened and jarred, keeping it smokey on Cob Tuesday."

September 2017

"...this pre-1936 Kaywoodie narrow Dublin made with Grecian briar was one I kept smokey with the last of the Orlik Golden Sliced tin."

"The 22 y/o St. Bruno was so wonderful I had to have one more go at keeping it smokey before jarring it up. The Bo North Apple got the call, since this was Bo's personal pipe I'd like to think he would have enjoyed this smoke as much as I did."

"The almost 11 y/o Esoterica Stonehaven is going to get a workout today with 3 new pipes to baptize.
First up is this pencil shank Rhodesian with chocolate, black and white swirl stem by Sean Reum. Keeping it smokey with that lovely Stonehaven."

"The second pipe of the day is this lovely Dublin with eye popping birdseye and purple Cumberland stem by Pipemaker George Leousis of Greece. Keeping it smokey with more of that almost 11 y/o Esoterica Stonehaven."
"Sorry, not from Greece. My apologies to Sean Reum for crediting George Leousis for this pipe, it is by Sean."

"From Pipemaker Tony Fillenwarth is this whimsical craggy as all get out Billiard with Cumberland stem he call The 2 Faced Pipe. I'll be keeping it smokey with more of that luxurious Stonehaven."

"My tired Zippo is about to be retired, I've wanted one of these Japanese unique design bodied Zippo lighters for a decade and always miss what I like, they are all a bit different but I finally nabbed one which will have the insert swapped out for my Vector soft butane flame pipe insert, hey where there's a Dragon there's always fire!"

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here

"First pipe this morning broke with the tradition of smoking Esoterica Stonehaven, I decided I had just enough of the year old St. Bruno left for 2 smokes so I loaded the Sam Learned Sun Grade Horn, loaded with birdseye, which is also a sitter, kept it smokey in great shape."

"Second pipe today was this craggy Apple with bamboo shank by the late Sixten Ivarsson, filled with 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury keeping it smokey."

"A Drip Wax from Walt Cannoy."

"Started keeping it smokey with so Mac Baren Dark Star in the Tom Eltang rusticated Vergin Cutty."

"Keeping it smokey with some Mac Baren #22 Virginia in an S. Bang canted Pear with Saddle stem."

"A light drizzle but with my summer oilskin jacket and the overhang of the roof I'm still able to keep myself dry and this little beauty by Anne Julie smokey filled with some 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury."

"Sam Adebayo Dublinesque with...a 4 knuckle chocolate brown bamboo shank. Keeping it smokey with some Mac Baren Dark Flake and it's mighty tasty."

"Keeping it smokey with some of the last of this 2 y/o batch of PS Luxury Navy Flake in the Damiano Rovera Ardor Fantasy with Drip Wax and cafe au lait accent and bent stem."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here

"Made by Nils Thomsen is this long oval shank Brandy interrupted with a narrow band of chocolate and white then back to a briar saddle stem that morphs into the end of the stem which is chocolate and white. Keeping it smokey with some 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury."

"Still keeping it smokey with the 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury, this time in the Dragon Scale body with smooth cap and Cumberland stem morphing to black by Pipemaker Jose Rubio."

"Earlier this morning before I went to my Dr's appointment I enjoyed keeping it smokey with some 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury in the Peterson Rosslare with hallmarked band and silver P in the amber colored stem, a shape 999 bent Bulldog."

"My companion on my walk to and from the acupuncture session is this lovely Apple by Pipemaker John Eells, made as a prototype for the 2001 CORP's Pipe numbered #1. Keeping it smokey with some 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury, cheers all."

"
When Caminetto ceased operations the three main carvers went their respective ways, Ascorti and Radice went on to found pipe companies under their own name and Enzo Galluzo went on to found the Capitello Pipe Company. Capitello was the first Italian pipe company to oil cure their briar. It's hard to believe this beautiful Capitello Gotico I'm keeping smokey with some 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury was once a Vergin finish. It was the first pipe I ever purchased with that finished being told by someone with much more experience than I who told me it would color much like a Meerschaum does. Although I was skeptical about what he'd told me nearly 30 years of keeping it smokey has proven him right because the pipe has never had Wax applied or been buffed but it is simply a beauty to behold in my eyes. Unfortunately Capitello ran into financial difficulties and faded away which is too bad since their pipes were on par with Castello even passing their parent company Caminetto by a wide margin, if you can find one buy it you won't regret it."

"I've said this before but it bears repeating the pot shape doesn't get a lot of love. What's not to love about the little beauty by Comoy? It's a Group 2 size Rusticated Pot, three part C and keeps it smokey ever so wonderfully, filled on this light drizzly morning with some 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury."

"Keeping it smokey with more of the 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury in a 3 Diamond Grade Ball with flare end shank by German Pipemaker Uwe Jopp."

"From Italian Pipemaker Mimmo Provenzano comes this wonderful canted Rhodesian with Masur Birch cap interrupted with a ring of Masur Birch and a ring of briar. The shank I'd Diamond shaped and long like a Lovat and I'm keeping it smokey with my latest delivery Reiner Long Golden Flake, No. 71."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"Keeping it smokey with some Reiner No.71, Long Golden Flake, in the lightly blasted Vergin Dublin Sitter with black bamboo shank by the late Pipemaker from Denmark, Peter Heeschen."

"Not as big as it looks, that's my pinky in the bowl."

"...I couldn't wait to give this beauty 6 sided panel Manduela with black and green accents a go. Keeping it smokey with some nearly 11 y/o Esoterica Stonehaven heavily sugar flecked."

"Well my thin version of the vintage Zippo butane lighter arrived, the EBW 92 stands for eBay winner 92, I had to chuckle at that. The lighter runs perfectly with full adjustment w/o issue, very nice lighter." (A Zippo Contempo)

"This craggy beauty with oval shank and saddle stem by Michael Butera smokes like pure heaven. Can't wait to experience it without my cold but keeping it smokey nonetheless with some Reiner Long Golden Flake."

"As the cragginess continues this time with a bent with silver ring by Pipemaker Larry Roush. Keeping it smokey with some 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury."

"Smoking a beautiful black stained Ring Grain Billiard with natural briar stem and silver ring accent from Pipemaker Wayne Teipen. Keeping it smokey with more of this wonderful Reiner Long Golden Flake, No. 71, cheers."

"Smoking an octagonal panel Grade B Dublin by Reiner Art Design with Boxwood accent and Cumberland stem. Keeping it smokey with more of the Reiner Long Golden Flake, No. 71, still a crisp beautiful morning."

"Now keeping it smokey with some 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury in a 3B Sun Grade Mastro de Paja lightly bent smooth Bulldog."

"Pipemaker Cristian Galeazzi is mostly recognized for his Regina Scarlatta pipes but this predates his development of that line and was probably made after, or before, completing his apprenticeship with Franco Rossi of il Ceppo. This thick walled tomato shape with slightly bent stem is keeping it smokey with more of my stash of 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"Guess what pipe had its 1000th smoke ream and tuneup, my MM Twain with what I call the Creamsicle Swirl Forever Stem."

"
Been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest today...Managed 3 pipes so far and hope to get another in, first was the Kevin Arthur with faux horn accent keeping it smokeywith some 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury."

"Second was the Zack Hamric Dublin with tortoise shell stem and I believe Zebrawood accent also with Esoterica Tilbury."

"The last is by James Gilliam of JSEC Pipes, a lovely bent with Boxwood accent and Cumberland stem, keeping it smokey with Reiner Long Golden Flake."

"Doing my best imitation of trying to look like I'm in deep contemplation when my body wants to jump up and down in giddiness as I keep it smokey with some almost 11 y/o Esoterica Stonehaven in the Walt Cannoy Drip Wax."

"The second new pipe that needed a maiden voyage is by Pipemaker Steffen Mueller and is a dandy Birdseye beast in its own right and I love the shape. Keeping it smokey with more of the sugar flecked almost 11 y/o Esoterica Stonehaven."

"From Pipemaker David S. Huber is this 2 tone Ring Grain Pear with flared shank and very thin Ivory colored accent on the slightly bent Fishtail stem. Keeping it smokey with more of the nearly 11 y/o Esoterica Stonehaven."

"Not totally positive on what maker did the first Drip Wax pipe but I know Radice was among the first and this is an early example of that application. Keeping it smokey with some Germains Uncle Tom."

"There's one thing you can count on and that is if the pipe was made by Radice it will be a great smoker, have had one that wasn't and this diamond shank faux bamboo Rhodesian is no exception. Keeping it smokey with some 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury."

"Well so far it's been a Radice day this time one of their Rind finished bowls with smooth square shank that morphs into round, the stem is silvery and black. Keeping it smokey with some Reiner Long Golden Flake, No. 71."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"...Did manage to snag a craggy Ring Grain Dublin by Pipemaker Ron Fairchild which I'm happy to add to my racks, warmest regards."

"I found another Trever Talbert pipe to add to the Talbert group, might have to change the rack!"

"Well a group of PAD arrived today and here is a photo:"
From top:
Don Warren Morta with Boxwood and turquoise colored accent and turquoise colored stem
Ron Fairchild deeply craggy Dublin
Left side: Dunhill Root Panel
Right side: Shamrock Clay Cutty
Capitello Gotico Drip Wax
John Hines Morta with marble colored stem
A Reverse Calabash with stone style accent made by Tsjechian pipemaker Martin Čermák.

"Keeping it smokey with some F & T Cut Virginia Plug in the Capitello Gotico Drip Wax."

"Now keeping it smokey with some Reiner Long Golden Flake in the Reverse Calabash Nosewarmer by Tsjechian Pipemaker Martin Čermák."

"Decided I’d fill up the craggy ring grain Dublin by Texas Pipemaker Ron Fairchild. Keeping it smokey with some of my stash of 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury."

October 2017

"I got the Freehand rusticated Danish by Pipemaker David S. Huber in trade for one of my pipes made by the late Pipemaker Peter Heeschen, a Cobra."

"Today I took the flat bottomed Dublin light brown Morta from the capable hands of Pipemaker John Hines who he entrusted his lovely creation to Pipemaker Josh Whitehead to do the blasting work, this collaboration was a perfect match just like the marble colored stem John chose for the pipe. While I thought I had full enjoyment of the Dark Strong Kentucky by Orlik it wasn’t until I was keeping it smokey in the pipe that the nuances of this fine tobacco slapped upside the head, folks will tell you Morta shine with Latakia but I know VA’s, VA/Per’s and other tobaccos shine as well and DSK is one that will sing in your Morta."

"Picked up 2 more rather scarce Drip Wax pipes this past week. The first is by VT Pipemaker JT Cooke a bent beauty that I’m keeping smokey with some Butera Royal Vintage Golden Cake."

Last edited:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"2nd Drip Wax pipe I picked up. A neat stack Sitter Drip Wax by Michael Kabik of Sven-Lar Pipes. Kept it smokey with Butera Royal Vintage Golden Cake."

"This pipe is another unique one, it’s a Chimney Stack narrow bowl Acorn shape with 1 knuckle bamboo shank and Military style Cumberland stem, it is from the Talbert pipe series by Trever Talbert. Keeping it smokey with Butera Royal Vintage Golden Cake."

"Still keeping it smokey with Butera Royal Vintage Golden Cake in this striking Morta with turquoise, black and Boxwood accents and turquoise colored stem by Pipemaker Don Gilmore of Don Warren pipes."

"Having always wanted a cased set of pipes and losing out over so many years to vintage ones when this beautiful set of Billiards by Pipemaker Max Capps presented itself I nabbed it. The smooth Billiard is crosscut grained with Birdseye on the front, it also has a Redwood accent. The rusticated one is a deep plum stain and it too has a Redwood accent. They come housed in a wooden case lined with cloth and the exterior is black leather, it has an antique style clasp that has a swing lock device as well as the hinged one."

"Rain seems to have abated and breaks in the clouds look promising so I grabbed the smooth Lovat with Redwood accent from the cased set by Pipemaker Max Capps. While I normally break in a new pipe with my 11 y/o stash of Esoterica Stonehaven I opted to go with the 10 y/o Mac Baren Roll Cake Spun Cut to keep it smokey."

"This is the first Drip Wax pipe I commissioned and it’s the Pipemaker’s first one so I’m not revealing anything until I own it and puffing on it but to say how it’s shaping up is Super is putting it mildly."

"Stage 2 of the Drip Wax commissioned pipe as it begins to be refined and discussed the stem which will be tortoise shell colored."

"Finally felt well enough to give the second cased pipe, a plum colored rusticated Billiard with Redwood accent by Pipemaker Max Capps. Keeping it smokey with some 10 y/o Mac Baren Roll Cake Spun Cut."

"Show us your lighters."

"Keeping it smokey with some 9 y/o Dark Star in a Dunhill Root Panel with square shank and stem."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"This sweet little smoker comes from Greece and the bench of Pipemaker Dimitris Mostras. Keeping it smokey with some Orlik Golden Sliced."

"Drip Wax #2 commissioned by me through Pipemaker Russ Cook, here is the fly on the wall look."

"Well the commissioned Drip Wax pipe #1 is complete so here is first look."

"Smoking my first briar in awhile is this hand made without any kind of machinery the Pipemaker goes by the name of Briar Spirit and it’s a lovely straight grained plateau capped beauty with an amber colored stem. I kept it smokey with some Butera Long Cut Golden Flake."

"Peterson canted Meerschaum Rhodesian with diamond shank and silver hallmarked band with silver P embedded in the diamond shaped P-lip stem. Keeping it smokey with some Butera Long Cut Golden Flake."

"Chilly, raw and windy today but I still had the urge to keep it smokey so I loaded the Askwith Morta Masur Birch capped Rhodesian with some good old Orlik Golden Sliced and enjoyed it."

"Finally after so many missed opportunities I snagged a vintage MM Corndog with straight diamond shank and amber colored stem."

November 2017

"Keeping it smokey with 3 y/o Three Nuns in a rather neat corn cob cavalier made by a gentleman who sells them on Etsy, they come with removable bowls and a golf tee for the bottom clean out. I got the hardwood shank model but he sells them with corn cob shanks as well, great to be back, regards."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"I got 2 updates on project Drip Wax #2 this one from Russ Cook."
Roughed out:

Drip work and bowl shaping:

"Here’s the Poker Sitter Drip Wax 2 tone with Tortoise Shell Stem by Pipemaker Chris Askwith and a lovely Pipe it is. Keeping it smokey with some 7 y/o Esoterica Tilbury whilst wearing my new leather flat cap by Stetson."

"Here is the latest photo update sent to me by Pipemaker Russ Cook on the #2 Drip Wax commission."

"Missouri Meerschaum Corn Dawg with diamond corn cob shank and diamond shaped amber colored stem. Keeping it smokey with some 5 y/o Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake."

"2k smokes just over 8 months old, daily smoker but I smoke briars too as you all know."

"The Russ Cook Drip Wax is getting closer to completion."

December 2017

Well I’ve missed some mighty fine posts and pipes, being under the weather is fine for birds but I’m turning the corner yet again, hmm I’ve turned it so many times this past year I may be back where I started!
Anyhow, been basically smoking the same MM Twain with beautiful swirled Forever Stem, Pipe is filled with some 17 y/o Barclay Rex Virginia straight from the cellar of the late John Loring, keep it smokey!"

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"The end is nigh on the Drip Wax by Russ Cook, should have it by Christmas, ain’t it a beauty?"

"Well with a short window of opportunity I decided to give the Russ Cook Drip Wax it’s christening on Christmas Eve Day, filled with some 3 y/o Esoterica Tilbury keeping it smokey. Merry Christmas."

"Went out for my first pipe and dark and strong mug of black coffee at 3:45, it was -5f not counting the windchill, it was a quick smoke. By sunrise it dropped to -10f so no after breakfast smoke. I went out to get the fixings to make the Maine winter bearable, beans for baking, dogs to go with them for mutha and I got what I needed for a hunters venison stew. While the stew was making itself into that beautiful warm your heart goodness I saw the highest temp of the day 5f with little wind. Packed the MM Twain with the Creamsicle Swirl Forever Stem with some 7 y/o Escudo. I forgot the temperature for about 20 minutes when it started snowing I then packed up the pipe and went and tended the stew. That smoke, the stew and a glass of Reisling were the highlight of the day, keep it smokey."

January 2018

"Here I am again at 3f having the same tobacco, Condor ready rubbed, in the MM Twain with Creamsicle Swirl Forever Stem. Keep it smokey."

"Well the year is new but PAD sure isn’t but I don’t mind it at all when you find a lovely Becker & Musico Foundation Grade in a beautiful pipe that sits."

"Here’s one I think I’ll dedicate for times I can actually go fly fishing or hunting. Made by Brian Orton, it’s his moss on a tree series and simply said I need this."

February 2018

"I had commissioned a pipe from Paul of Larrysson pipes to come close to completing my Drip Wax collection so I thought I’d share what it looks like. Regards."

"Picked out this Luigi Viprati Dali Limited Edition to treat myself for my 68th birthday yesterday, cheers."

"Currently enjoying some 11 y/o Stonehaven in a beautiful Egg bowled Morta pipe with Buffalo Horn accent and Limited Edition SEC stem. The maker is RobE’s Art."

"Now sampling some 10 y/o C&D Strathspey in an elegant Foundation Grade Becker & Musico I lucked into."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
March 2018

"So I grabbed the Larrysson Drip Wax he made for me smaller than his usual sized ones and I generally use my stash of 1 y/o Stonehaven to break in a new pipe but I’ve been hanging onto a 10 y/o tin of Hamborger Veermaster promising never to open it until I was able to purchase more aged tin(s) of it and lo and behold my favorite pipe tobacco monger Steve Fallon, known as pipestud, had 5 tins for sale which yours truly purchased so he would be able to christen this beautiful Drip Wax on a lovely day, a luxurious smoke it is indeed."

"Before we lost daylight I thought I’d enjoy some more Hamborger Veermeister in a very seldom seen Peterson P-Lip Meerschaum Bulldogs with diamond shank and sterling silver band and embedded P in the stem."

"Enjoying some Capstan Yellow in the Classic Billiard blasted Ring Grain with smooth top by Paul at Larrysson pipes, the stem has the best mouth feel than most of my pipes and is a fantastic smoker."

"Seems like we’re stuck in a pattern getting belted with a Nor’easter every mid week. I decided I’d enjoy some 7 y/o St. Bruno in the now 13 month old MM Twain with Creamsicle Swirl Forever Stem, keep it smokey."

"Hello all, still not doing as well as I would like but chugging along as well as I can.
This brought a smile to me and thought I’d share it. I generally set really wet tobacco on this top and transfer it to my leather drying sheet and was surprised to see this image from the wet stain the tobacco left on it.
To me it looks like a fellow enjoying his pipe so I call it Tobacco Art, regards."

May 2018

"You all probably know I really enjoy a well made Cutty and this pencil shank with yellowish Bakelite stem and plateau canted bowl by Bruce Weaver hits all those heart string pulls for me."

June 2018

"Having some Dunhill Ye Olde Signe Dark Virginia tobacco in a Bruce Weaver canted Tavern Cutty with pencil shank and Bakelite Stem."

"It took over 4 months, I don’t recall how many price changes and Best Offers I submitted but today I did a Best Offer again and he countered with less than I would pay so I got a two for, that being it’s a Castello Epoca which is their early Drip Wax model."

"I always loved the look of the Northern Briar’s Sea Urchin Pipe’s. One day a member posted a photo of his natural finish Sea Urchin with amber colored stem and I was hooked! Try as I could the closest I ever came to seeing any with a natural finish was this one in my photo."

"After owning it and enjoying its smoking qualities for a couple of years I still never got that amber colored stem one out of my mind so I contacted Ian Walker of Northern Briar’s to see if they could make one and he replied they could so off it went. Now back in my hands with the originals black stem and the new amber colored stem you can also see the beautiful intricate silver band which marries the stem and bowl together in harmony."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"According to the stamping this S Bang was made before 1984. It’s a beautiful pinched Dublin Panel with fabulous Ring Grain and to die for smooth cap Birdseye. Keeping it smokey with some Peter Stokkebe 2 y/o Luxury Bullseye Flake."

"Let’s face it I like the Dublin shape and some the maker has taken tasteful artistic license with the previous pinched Panel by S Bang being one. Here is another makers version of a pinched Panel Dublin with Boxwood accent and closer to being a Nosewarmer, almost. This one was made by Cornelius Manz. Keeping it smokey with more Luxury Bullseye Flake."

"Keeping it smoky with more Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake in the white stemmed Masur Birch Capped Chris Askwith Morta Bulldog, this has been a favorite for quite awhile as the cap has colored nicely, regards."

"Here’s another S Bang, this time a grade 9 smooth canted Dublin with a cap and Buffalo Horn accent. Keeping it smoky with some Dunhill Light Flake."

"I generally do a lot of research when I’m buying anything which of course includes my pipes. When I saw Castello Epoca the only thing that came to mind was they are very rare and were supposed to be a Drip Wax style according to what I knew. I worked on getting this Epoca for a little over 4 months, it was on the Devils playground and I was never getting anywhere with my best offers until the last go,around when I dropped my best offer substantially and was countered with an off of less than I was willing to pay so,I nabbed it. I posted a photo of it on various pipe forums happily stating I’d gotten one of the Holy Grails of Castello pipes the Epoca Drip Wax. I was the schooled on the fact that not all Castello Epoca pipes were of the Drip Wax finish of which around 100 were made, there was another finish which is called Rock Face and less than 50 of these were made. So I waited in anticipation as to what did I really get. Today the long anticipation was over the Castello Epoca was in hand and it is the Rock Face finish. So while I didn’t get what I originally was after I’m more than happy for making a mistake, this is a beautiful pipe and I’m now keeping it smoky with some Dunhill Light Flake."

July 2018

"Well the heat has landed big time so I’m waiting for a Hot Air Ballon to take me to middle earth where I hear its quite lovely this time of year. Keeping it smoky with my Mastro de Paja loaded with some Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake."

"This pipe is not one I’d generally associate with Walt Cannoy being the maker, but he did make it and I’m in the process of purchasing it, regards."

"Waiting on a reply to answer the come hither call of PAD for the multi knuckle bamboo pipe by Walt Cannoy I figured smoking one of his iconic Suede blasts with military style mount in white with matching seem and the best fishtail stem bar none. Keeping it smoky with Dunhill Light Flake."

"We are often asked what’s your favorite pipe shape, tobacco, manufacturer or maker in the case of artisan pipes. Here is a shot of me smoking one of the pipes from this 2 pipe set by Max Capps. Both are billiards and group 2 in size, one smooth the other rusticated and have Tamarind for a spacer I believe. Here I am smoking some Orlik Golden Sliced, I consider this to be my favorite quintessential combination of pipe style, group size and Virginia tobacco, regards."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"It was so hot last week some of my pipes started melting!"

"Scratch another one off the Bucket List, a beautiful Fig by Adam Davidson."

"I filled the 5 Knuckle Bamboo Shanked canted Dublin with Plateau top with Orlik Golden Sliced and had a damn near out of body experience. I really like OGS a lot, it’s not what you called depth filled or an earth moving smoke just a straight forward everyday smoke that won’t bore you. Believe me nothing ever smoked so good as this smoke in this pipe by Walt Cannoy."

August 2018

"This is one you won’t see often unless I’m smoking it. Castello Collection Billiard with Silver Windcap (KKKK) (LO) from 1989."

"I know that in the past your grandfathers probably had few pipes compared to what we have in our battery.
To get a feeling how a pipe would fare if smoked daily, and sometimes twice, would it get sour or off tasting, would it not be enjoyable not haven been given a rest etc. I chose my Peterson Billiard Gold Spigot for this challenge and it’s been 3 weeks, if anything it smokes better than when I started, maybe our grandfathers were cashing in on great smoking and buying more tobacco, cheers."

"Picked up this very early, it was the 7th pipe JT made in 1987 when it was JT & D Cooke hand printed.
You’d by shocked to see how light the blast work is on this Canted Sitter Cherrywood with Plateau top and smooth sections where he obviously taped to have it look that way. This pipe has an early elegance to it showing JT had a deft hand even before he developed his deep blasts. The pipe had been smoked less than 5 times in 31 years, I’m happy to say that is no longer the case because it’s the other pipe in rotation with the Peterson Gold Spigot Billiard I posted earlier and an MM Twain with Creamsicle Swirl Forever Stem. Regards and yes, I do have hair!"

"Having a nice smoke in the pinched Dublin heavily Ring Grained by Ron Fairchild."

"Admittedly I’m a quicker cadence puffer than what is considered normal, not a freight train smoker but faster than most. When I saw this pipe by D. Mostras it stated it was for the experienced smoker only and when it arrived and I saw how delicate and elegant it was it screamed to be sipped. I never thought I was missing some of what the tobacco is telling you but whether it’s the finest Briar available that he uses coupled with the thin wall and the fact that it is truly meant to sit and contemplate life sitting in a cold rain in a place like Vancouver Island the joy it brings to the palate and senses are phenomenal, I am fortunate to own this elegant Stack Poker Sitter with Olivewood accent, keeping it smokey with some Orlik Golden Sliced."

"Keeping it smokey with some Orlik Golden Sliced in a vintage Andreas Bauer, of Vienna Austria, Meerschaum Billiard with Silver Military Mount and cultured Amber stem."

September 2018

"From the workbench of Pipemaker Steffen Mueller comes this superbly elegant Tadpole with grain and Birdseye to dream about, keeping it smokey with 1/2 Red Rapparee and 1/2 Tilbury."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"Well as you probably figured out from the selfie with the Andreas Bauer Meerschaum I posted the other day my latest group arrived. In the group was the Nørding Grade 15 Flame Grain with Black, yellow and Vergin Briar accents among them. After a good cleaning and sterilization I’m keeping it smokey with the half and half mix of Red Rapparee and Tilbury."

"Keeping it smokey with some not quite 10 y/o Comoy Cask 7 Single Roll Slice in the Becker Royal Flush Grade pinched into an oval Dublin."

"The Pipemaker behind the M Pipes brand is Marinko Neralić of Croatia. I chose this Nautilus Morta with tortoise shell stem to try out a half and half of 15 y/o Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake and nearly 10 y/o Comoy Cask Roll Slice and all I can say is keeping it smokey is marvelous."

"Not from Missouri Meerschaum but I do believe they absorbed this company at some point. From National Pipe Works (NPW logo) of Missouri is his ca 1910 Corn Cob Bowl with hard rubber stem with rolled chrome plated cover to mate to the bowl. Keeping it smokey with Comoy Cask 7 Single Roll Slice."

"Here’s a Legend Bowl finished out with a 5 knuckle bamboo shank with a Silver and Black Swirled Stem by Canadian Pipemaker Riccardo Santia, keeping it smokey with some Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake."

"From ShawPipeCompany comes this custom made Corn Cob with diamond shape Corn Cob Shank, natural gut windings and Amber colored stem, the model is called The Steam Engine. Keeping it smokey with some of the aged Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake."

"...got home moments ago and needed a pipe badly. I grabbed the first Limited Edition Reverse Calabash Corn Cob Missouri Meerschaum put out several years ago. I loaded the Wasp with some aged Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake and I’m in bliss. The Danish style stem is something I added."

"First pipe of the morning is the trusty nearly 13 y/o MM Diplomat with Plum colored Forever Stem loaded with some aged Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake."

"Second pipe of the morning is the 16 month old MM Twain with Creamsicle Swirl colored Forever Stem, I got this from the folks who took over but I understand it’s back to the originator of the Forever Stem, loaded with some aged Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake."

"Third pipe of the morning is from BlueRidgePipes, a Custom made Missouri Meerschaum General Poker Corn Cob Pipe With Bamboo Shank and Bronze and Brown colored Lucite Stem also loaded with some aged Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"Having an after dessert smoke of the aged Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake in a Falcon International with Corn Cob Bowl by Doug Erwin Pipes (DGE), keeping it smokey."

"Taking a short hiatus from the cobs until I get back from my weekly ivIG infusion. I’m embarrassed to say I never wrote in my notes who made this Cracked Egg Meerschaum Bowl for the Kirsten Pipe. Here it is mounted on my Kirsten Model F and keeping it smokey with more Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake."

"Less than 15 minutes ago it was 94f and while I am coming around and would have enjoyed a smoke I don’t like smoking in that temperature range. The thunderstorms rolled in like Chariots Afire as did the cooler air, rain be damned, I grabbed the umbrella and the Morgan Cob Cigar Pipe, loaded it with a charge of Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake and keeping it smokey."

"The Rockin Black Rock Cob made by John Barrett of pipestone has gone through several changes in shank, accents and stems since I first received it from John but I’ve kept the original as well. Here is is fitted out with a bamboo shank and trimmed down 7mm/08 shell casing with a Maple Syrup colored stem, keeping it smokey with more Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake."

"Before I lose the last of today’s daylight I thought I’d load a unique Reverse Calabash by Canada’s Riccardo Santia with almost the last of my aged Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake. The cobs are Nekkid and unsanded, the Plug is a nice piece of Briar with plateau on top and the bent Danish style stem is Maple Syrup colored, having no problems keeping it smokey."

"Earlier this morning I grabbed a rather scarce model made by Missouri Meerschaum called the Monogram. The Monogram came with a nice ebonite stem which was marked with an M with a white outline. When I got this pipe it was in sad shape and totally unsmokable. I have restored many pipes in the past and also have customized many but the condition that this pipe was in left me unsure if I could salvage it. I took my time and some unorthodox methods to repair it but the real satisfaction came when I hade my first smoke in it post restoration. As you can tell by how I’m dressed we’re in the 60’s today. I enjoyed some of nearly the last pipe full of Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake, keeping it smokey and enjoying every minute of it."

Cob Porn

"I had never really warmed up to the Bruyere finish by Dunhill until I saw this very early example. The Bruyere was introduced in 1910 the same year Alfred Dunhill opened his Duke St. tobacco shop. The White Spot didn’t appear until 1915 which was done so customers would know which way the stem should be oriented in the pipe. This ca 20’s Dunhill Bruyere is a fine example, it’s original owner must have thought about what they wanted before ordering it since it sports an original Dunhill AD hallmark on the 9 carat gold band. The pipe is a Churchwarden and comes in a rare Ventage Case, Pat No.141486/19 also marked Dunhill London on the exterior bottom of the case. I’m keeping it smokey with the last of the aged tin of Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake."

"This is the oldest Calabash Pipe I own, it has the normal Meerschaum bowl but rather than be removable the maker, Astley of London, capped the top with Silver and added an inscribed Silver band at the end. This is a lovely piece of early 20th century workmanship and I’m sampling some Virginia no.1 by Mac Baren to keep it smokey."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"Well I obviously haven’t finished smoking the oldest Calabash I posted earlier but will finish it and this, the newest Calabash I own. Where the original was made in the classic guise of a Calabash this one takes it to heights nobody, except messers Danovic and Altinok have collaborated to bring it to life. The business end, or Meerschaum cup, was made by Pipemaker Sinan Altinok who intricately carved the beautiful pattern it sports. Davorin Denovic was responsible for the gourd end, which he made from very Black Morta, around 10,000 y/o, the accent is a brass band followed by some faux Amber and the stem is a modern Smoky Amber reproduction. Keeping it smokey with more of the 2002 Virginia no. 1 from Mac Baren."

"Keeping it smokey with some 10 y/o Wessex Brigade in the Jess Chonowitsch Ring Grain Billiard with bamboo shank."

"The only thing missing was some Bobs Chocolate Flake! I decided to keep it smokey with this elongated Dublin made from Chocolate Morta with a Chocolate Bamboo Shank, filled with Wessex Brigade, from Pipemaker Joao Reis of Portugal."

"One of my earliest bamboo shank pipes is this rusticated Acorn by Teddy Knudsen, keeping it smokey with some of the last of the 10 y/o Wessex Brigade."

"I own more than a few of Trevor Talbert Pipes and not only are they all wonderful to look at they smoke fantastically. Of all that I do,own this is one that is near and dear to me because Trevor was planning on keeping it for himself but in his own words “there were bills to be paid”. He did ask how it smoked and was pleased with my answer. The bowl is Morta and capped by Masur Birch which is also used as the butt accent on the gourd portion with is rusticated Meerschaum, all in all a very striking pipe that smokes far greater than its eye candy appeals. Keeping it smokey with some Grey Haven by McClelland."

" I failed to mention the Grey Havens I smoked in the Talbert Calabash is 23 y/o and delightful at keeping it smokey, so,delightful I’m having another bowl in this pipe by Jan Szymon Gołowacz of Poland. The pipe is a 6 knuckle banjo shank with a freehand bowl that is partially rusticated and partially smooth, the bowl top is plateau and he has a clean out with a 1 knuckle bamboo segment capped with rusticated Briar, the pipe is whimsically called the Mermaid, off to keep it smokey."

"I thought this would be a good time to show the differences in the spacing of the nodes (pipers call them knuckles) of the bamboo used for pipe shanks. Not only are there over 14,000 varieties of bamboo only several are and have been used in making bamboo fly rods, I’ve seen a couple of dozen used in pipe shanks thus far, of course there’s a huge difference in what would make a good bamboo fly rod and what would be a good material for the bamboo shank of a pipe. So the first pipe I smoked is a different variety than most bamboo shanks are made from, it’s much thicker than the normal ones we generally see and much smaller than the variety used for the Buddha bamboo shanks be they conventional or Reverse Calabash style. The pipe is from Bruce Weaver and has a beautiful flame grain brandy bowl with a slanted top, married to the 3 knuckle bamboo shank and lightly bent black stem, if it were a knuckle shorter it would have been a nose warmer, keeping it smokey with more of the 23 y/o Grey Havens from McClelland."

"The second is what we normally have seen used for bamboo shanks since Sixten Ivarsson was putting out pipes. It’s also a 3 knuckle but you can see the diameter is smaller and the distance between the nodes, or knuckles if you prefer, are further apart. This pipe also sports a brandy style bowl that is canted and had the grain been oriented slightly it would have made a fabulous Ring Grain pipe but it’s damn nice as it is. It was made by Brian Ruthenberg and the stem is dark maroon Cumberland, and I too kept it smokey with the same 23 y/o Grey Havens from McClelland, cheers."

"...by Peter Klein, whose workshop is in Denmark, is this beautifully grained Paneled Elephants Foot with 2 knuckle bamboo shank and black ebonite stem. Keeping it smokey with some more of the 23 y/o Grey Havens from McClelland."

"The next pipe I had is a neat nicely grained little elongated Dublin Nose Warmer, by Wolfgang Becker of Germany, with about 1/3 plateau coverage on the top of the bowl, has a thick 1 knuckle bamboo shank, not quite Buddha bamboo, it has a black ebonite stem and keeping me company and smokey is the 23 y/o Grey Havens by McClelland."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
"Though he marks his pipes Tarok his name is Christian Wolfsteiner from Germany who sadly passed away a few years ago. The pipe is called the Wild Rose with three knuckle bamboo shank and black ebonite stem,one of the most comfortable bits on any of my pipe stems, keeping it smokey with some more of the 23 y/o Grey Havens from McClelland."

"My latest bout with PAD started when a member on a forum showed the most beautiful Apple Bowl with the craziest bamboo shank I’ve ever seen, the pipe is by Roman Kovalev of Doctor’s Pipes. I found Doc, as he refers to himself, on Facebook and there were 5 of the most unusual bamboo shank pipes I’ve seen, not so much the bowl but the bamboo used is incredibly insane. Needless to say I made an inquiry to Doc if any of the pipes were available and he replied that 3 were and sent photos. Never in my wildest dreams would I expected that the third pipe was what I was looking for, it was meant to be."

"After putting away yesterday’s bamboo shank lineup I chose what today’s bamboo shank lineup would and that included this Saucer by German Pipemaker Jürgen Moritz. The pipe has a 3 knuckle bamboo shank and a very comfortable black ebonite stem, and as already stated I’m keeping it smokey with the last of the 10 y/o Wessex Brigade, cheers."

"The second bamboo shank pipe I chose is from the bench of the late Danish Pipemaker Peter Heeschen. The pipe was much lighter when I first got it being that it was natural Vergin Dublin, the coloration began quickly and as you can see there is some grain beginning to poke out to be seen on the lightly blasted bowl, the bamboo shank is Chocolate colored and the black stem is ebonite. Keeping it smokey with the 23 y/o Grey Havens from McClelland."

"The third bamboo shank pipe I am currently smoking comes from the bench of Taiwan’s Pipemaker Jerry Zenn. Jerry chooses his own bamboo for the shanks and other uses on his pipes, his preference is for what is referred to as Human Face Bamboo, once you’ve seen it there’s no mistaking it being a different type. The Flame Grain of the pipe he calls a Smooth Freehand is coupled with a 5 knuckle bamboo shank and ebonite stem with Briar accent. Still keeping it smokey with the 23 y/o Grey Havens from McClelland, I’m going to miss this tobacco a lot once it’s gone, it has given me much smoking pleasure."

"Belgian Pipemaker Dirk Claessen works in Spain where he makes pipes he guarantees to smoke effortlessly and mine certainly does that. I'm having some Mac Baren Virginia no. 1 in the pipe Dirk calls the Leprechaun, a beautiful straight grained bowl with shades of plateau on top. The shank comes off the bowl made to look like a tree branch as it transfers over to the 2 knuckle black bamboo, keeping it smokey."

"
Kai Nielsen of Denmark is no stranger to pipe making being the eldest son of the late Viggo Nielsen it was in his veins. Kai worked for pocket money at the Bari Pipe Factory his dad had half share in. He would later apprentice under his father and venture off on his own when he was 21 y/o. Kai used a different grading system for pipes that took a filter and non filter pipe. Filter pipes were marked A, B, C and D with D being the lowest grade. Non filter pipes were marked V, VV, VVV and VVVV, VVVV signifies Old Briar Straight Grain so it’s his highest grade.
My pipe is a VVV Grade, Kai Nielsen pinched Panel Dublin with 2 knuckle bamboo shank and Maroon Cumberland Stem, having more of that tasty Virginia no. 1 from Mac Baren."
"I’d like to apologize for mistakenly posting Grey Havens as a Mac Baren product, someone on one of the forums nicely told me my error and of course it a McClelland Tobacco and not by Mac Baren, sorry for this faux pas, I do not like passing off erroneous information and am more than willing to point out the error. Keep it smokey."

"...I loaded up the 4 knuckle bamboo shank Danish style flame grained bowl with plateau on the top and an ebonite stem with a tapered brass tenon. I’ve seen many materials used as tenons with bamboo shank pipes but this tapered one was new to me. I own 2 bamboo shank pipes by this Pipemaker the other is a Pickaxe and will be shown at a later time. I wasted no time loading the Todd M. Johnson pipe with Virginia no. 1 by Mac Baren and kept it smokey."

"A shape that originally took me a bit of getting used to but once I did several variations of it reside in my racks. This one come from Swedish Pipemaker Jonas Rosengren, a three knuckle bamboo shank Cutty with serious Flame Grain on the bowl and some plateau on top. Keeping it smokey with the 23 y/o Grey Havens from McClelland."

"I’ve had folks write and ask what do I look at standing at that big pine tree. I’m looking at the tidal millpond off the York River which obviously is fed by the Atlantic Ocean. Being a mere 15’ above sea level may be a problem during storms having that millpond there has made all the difference in the world.
So now that I’ve given you a change of scenery I’ll change to a non bamboo shank pipe, in this case it’s a vintage Missouri Meerschaum Corn Dawg ( sorry the silly person that lives inside my brain just loves making me type it that way!) These are no longer available and haven’t been for years. This old timer is of a time when the plastic used for the stem was a very hard plastic that would last forever, this one has a diamond shape to match the transition from the corn cob diamond shank...Oh yeah, 23 y/o McClelland Grey Havens keeping it smokey."

Status
Not open for further replies.