PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Sitting in the kitchen, checking the PM forums, drying some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake to smoke after everyone sleeps, wifey is playing with the toddler in another room. All of a sudden she asks me to go and see. "See what?" me asks. "Just come!" she responds. I go and see my 1 year old trying to walk all by himself like those tightrope walkers. It has been a year already. Now what? He will be going to school tomorrow? Getting married the day after tomorrow? Time flies, I was laughing at this one all the time when old timers said so. Typing this while smoking the LTF.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Time does indeed fly by. I remember when mine were just babies, and now they are nearly as tall as I am. Treasure moments like that for they are fleeting.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
If you make video of these memories, make copies sooner rather than later. We didn't, and lost a VHS tape that covered many precious moments. It made us physically ill when we realized what happened.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Duane, you are right my friend. I wish they had stayed like that, would have been great :)
Stanley, I take photos and videos all the time, created a common dropbox account for my wife and myself. All the media is backed up regularly to that account. And once in a while I take a backup of that account as well and copy it to an external hard disk drive. When I was a kid, my dad used to take videos with his camera. And I have just realized that we don't have any copies of them (VHS tapes as well). Thanks for the heads up, you have just saved lots of good memories. I wish there was a way to bring yours back.
Bradley, I love your posts, especially the ones similar to this one. I am glad it made you smile, sir.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
You and Wifey better get busy on the next one, Javin. Your son is going to need a playmate.
Watching your babies will themselves to walk will always be a treasured memory.
Cheers to you all, friend.
Fnord
PS: How about a picture? I'm still a few years away from having grandchildren but I'd enjoy a shot of your son.

F

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My nephew took his first steps less than a year ago. Now he's at that age when nothing is safe. He's a one boy wrecking crew. I never had kids so I live this all through my brother who has four ranging from 2-10. One of the truly awesome results of the digital age is that it's so easy to document every event. This generation will take it for granted that their entire youth will be posted to Facebook/Photobucket/Dropbox or whatever.

I was born in '72 and shockingly, many of my early moments were captured on 8mm, transferred to VHS, CD, DVD, and finally digital. Watching really old video that never had sound is a tad creepy looking.

I would recommend keeping an external hard drive, updated yearly, in a safety deposit box, assuming you don't utilize facebook or other social media as a timeline.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Thanks a lot guys.
Fnord, here it is
Nate, I was thinking the same thing, they are so lucky I guess. It takes just a second to turn the camera on on your smartphone and start recording. I do have an external hdd that I update once in few months (I don't use facebook, just the instagram from time to time).

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Facebook is just a tool. I use it as a journal/timeline. I think I'll one day love going back to keep memories fresh as I age. My timeline is there so long as facebook is. My relatives will be able to read after I'm gone. I do not use it as a tool to socialize. It's just for me to post thoughts/images/info/video/whatever. It's free and as permanent as digital gets. If I had a kid, I'd start his/her feed from day one, onward till they were old enough to take it over, a digital baby book. I should think they'd appreciate it, in time.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I agree with you Nate. I opened my fb account either in 2006 or 2007, used until 2011 and then deleted it. I was just wasting my time there and it was getting out of control. It is actually a good idea to start a feed for the baby, my wife wanted to start one on instagram but I didn't want it. Well, I have tons of media so those will keep him busy for a long time.

Everyone says it... it's hard to comprehend... but every parent will tell you that it is absolutely true... one day in the very near future you will blink and these next 18-20 years will have flown by faster than you can imagine. Treasure these moments, savor them. In just a blink of an eye you will be setting there like me, less hair, less money, trying to figure out how to pay for college, and wondering if your son or daughter is moving into a safe neighborhood. Why oh why can't they take their time with these first steps, first everything, and just be kids for longer.
Great post!!!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You got it Mike, first it's holding their hands, then it's hand outs, and then as they go older they start to fade like smoke or a fog,wifting away as they start their own adventures or family's.. You sit on the porch wondering what they are doing, realizing you probably did the same damn thing to your parents. Hug em all every time you see em, for with that first step they are walking away from you.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What an adorable child! Thanks for posting your thoughts. Tempus fugit! (sp?)
bGyeTe-CUiafaIaYUeq60aV_aLCuXIOXSZsONV5HADk

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Brother, one thing to never forget. Always be there for him, no matter what, good or bad. Always be his backbone when he needs it!

Status
Not open for further replies.