PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
No, this isn't about any form of apocalypse. But, yesterday made the decision I will retire the end of April. Am thoroughly jazzed about this, though it does come with some trepidation about whether the funds will be adequate. I have no special post-retirement plans except to simply relax, have more fun and less work and simply enjoy life.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Hopefully it will mean a few more moments with your pipe! Good for you!

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I retired at the end of April 2016 with very few plans also. I too had some trepidation but with 2 1/2 years in I do not regret the decision at all. As far as funds go, considering paying less taxes and having zero debt, I have more spending funds than when I was working. I have not looked back.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Warren, I agree that, before someone opts for retirement, they need to carefully check their budgetary situation. While we won't be flush after retirement, we'd have enough to cover all the bills we have now. Overall, my net only looks to go down slightly. It's just one never knows what the future might mean $-wise, but I sure don't intend to work til I drop and am planted due to uncertainty. :puffy:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Don't see where you said you didn't have a handle on your finances. There are people with millions saved up who don't feel they can retire and maintain their current lifestyle. Even with plenty saved up and plans well thought out, shit happens sometimes - health problems etc. Early retirement is a leap of faith no matter who you are. I say good for you, enjoy your retirement.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
After knowing guys and gals who work past their “prime” to be able to afford to retire and only live a few years of worrying about money, and then pass away with most of their savings intact, I say go for it. If life gets tough, you get tougher and fight through it! Enjoy retirement and I hope your worries go away.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I had never planned to retire (mostly because I loved my job), even though my wife started bugging me about it after she retired in 2000 with an early-out opportunity. Then, in 2005, we lost two good friends (separately), in their early 60's. At the service for the second, I decided I did not want to "die at my desk" and told my wife I had decided to retire when I turned 62. I went through some of that same uneasiness, but felt I was prepared because we had paid the house off 10 years prior, and carried no debt other than monthly stuff that we paid off when the bills came in.
I retired Jan. 2008, and have never regretted it. Miss the people from time to time, but found that serving as a volunteer business counselor helps me stay in the business world a bit, and I enjoy helping my clients. Staying active, doing what you want on your own schedule, is, IMHO, one of the keys to successful retirement. The others are financial preparations, and staying as healthy as possible.
Congratulations on your decision! May you spend as many years enjoying life as you did working! Happy retirement and good lunting!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Full retirement re to social security for me is 66. When I retire I'll be 65 and 2 months. So, not getting much of a drop on "early" retirement. :lol:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I agree with Warren. Get a good financial planner to manage your retirement funds.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Congrats...good for you. I retired nine years ago after spending my entire adulthood working for an electric utility. After a year of retirement I started getting bored so I got a part-time job...10 hours a week at a bank. It gets me out of the house and gives me more hobby money. I have no regrets...retirement is great!
I'm happy for you...good luck.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You never know, I retired with more than enough, Financial advisor put our money in risky business, was down to 1/3 , had to buy a truck, trucked went to trial, it lasted 3 years, got 3/4s of my money back. Lesson learned, don’t owe nobody, if you take out more than 5% per year of your lump sum, you gonna run out of money. Remember, groceries are going up, Meds also, you can’t jaunt off to remote vac spots. Learn to like simple things.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Brad is absolutely dead on with the 5% guidance. No debt is the second key. Staying as healthy as you can is also important, but not completely in our control.
While we can’t foresee what the government will do to us down the road those other three items are crucial, in my opinion.
I’m planning on retiring in April as well and will find another job purely for enjoyment without having to worry about what it pays. I have no shortage of hobbies and need to support them. :)

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Congratulations! Great decision. I hope to retire in 26 more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.