PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I think a man needs a room that is unapologetically his. The recent trend has been toward the "Man Cave," a prime feature of which seems to be the largest TV possible for the consumption of sports. Now, I like sports -- and big TVs -- but in creating my den I had something else in mind.
It is a place for relaxation; a place to smoke, drink, read, think. It is a quiet place, save some Irish or classical music (and the occasional throwback rock and roll). Although I am by no means always alone in the den, it is the place in which I am most often alone. Others are very welcome -- except when they are not. Since I enjoy watching sports WITH people and plenty of noise, that function would be inimical to my den. So no television.
I find a pipe is tremendously handy when writing/thinking/working, so there's a place to do that. (A sort of disordered place this time of year, as the fall semester approaches and the syllabus and class notes get a re-work.)
There is whiskey (and whisky). There are magazines and books. There are a few treasured artifacts, but there is the minimum of clutter. There is, blessedly for Miami, air conditioning. (Outdoor smokes are wonderful, except for the several months here when they are not.)
How about you? Gotta "den," wherever located, however configured?
den2_zps258849d0.jpg

den6_zps095239cd.jpg

den3_zps519158a1.jpg

den1_zpsa17a63a3.jpg

den4_zpscc868107.jpg

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
rothnh, the words "overlooking the harbor" sound pretty wonderful.
Pictures?
Kashmir, I'd love to see the "Home of a zillion Dunhills."
Hunter? Barley?

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Really nice den. I think the shillelagh and the shotgun are nice touches. I have a study, where I can work and smoke and read. It is not as nice as yours, but is functional. Man caves are a marriage saver.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Really nice den. I think the shillelagh and the shotgun are nice touches. I have a study, where I can work and smoke and read. It is not as nice as yours, but is functional. Man caves are a marriage saver.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Thanks joehearn.
Good eye on the blackthorn stick.
Shotgun was my granddad's, about 120 years old. It is a Barker, with a B and not, sadly, a Parker with a P. Damascus steel barrels, exposed hammers, twin triggers. Some years ago I got a few black powder shotgun shells, just to be able to say I shot the thing. Granddad killed more bunnies and ducks with the thing that you could count -- although not ever more than they could eat.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Great setup, tslex.
I hung around with a kid who's father had some guns, when I was a kid. One was a double barrel Parker that was made here in Connecticut, in Meriden. I thought it was a mongrel brand, because it wasn't a Winchester or Remington.lol! I learned years later about Parker's reputation.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Very nice setup, alas, I have been banned to outdoor smoking due to my wife's current state on her hormone treatment and smells getting to her.. I have a 14x20 shop that will be delivered soon and hope to convert it to the smoke and hobby room...

Aug 14, 2012
I will have one when we get the new house next summer. There won't be a TV in mine either. I have finally had it with TV. Lousy shows, except just a few, endless reruns of bad films and fixed fights (like Malignaggi's last). I will keep the TV in my city apartment.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Kashmir, nifty. That looks like an incredibly comfy corner.
You seem to have a great affection for beetles, the Middle East, and traditional canvas satchels.

Status
Not open for further replies.