PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Who remembers this commercial for Carter Hall pipe tobacco?

http://youtu.be/Ua86jlgtKBs
I have some fond memories of some of the old (now banned) TV commercials.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm always intrigued in the old tobacco/pipe commercials and ads. I like the ones that Brian sometimes plays on the radio show. I find it a little silly that advertising is now so seriously regulated against tobacco products because they think we are so weak willed that we can't think critically about it. Yet, fast food, alcohol, and a number of inane products are still allowed to spew their drivel at me. Oh well, progress….
You got any more links to cool ads like this apatim? or anybody else?

apkurt

Lurker
Apr 7, 2014
Thanks for the post! You got me checking out all the great old pipe tobacco ads on YouTube. There are some real classics.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
My how times have changed! I remember ~23 years ago when I started working for a health insurance company, the 65-ish year old gentleman sitting in the cubicle behind me used to smoke a pipe at work and I loved the smell of it. Very soon thereafter, smoking was banned in our workplace, and he retired right away.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
When I started in newspapers back in '85, smoking and drinking in the office, were the norm. We always had a six pack in the darkroom fridge, and vodka in the freezer.
By the time I left the paper in 2007, I didn't even have an office to go to.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Hey guys, if you find other old commercials please post links. My wife didn't remember this one but thinks its a riot. The chicks are back!

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
papipeguy said:

I was in college, so a large part of 1970-1974 is a blur.
I sure know THAT feeling ... but, although I was shortly removed from my own similar blur, I don't remember that commercial either ...

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The commercial is humorous. How's the tobacco?
You know it's still available from Pipes and Cigars.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72859/carter-hall/
Think it'll work?

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I'm with PApipeguy; I was in college as well and it was all kind of a blur. "If you remember it, you weren't there..." time of life. I do remember the punch line though. It was my Balkan Sobranie phase however, not Carter Hall.

Aug 14, 2012
Very entertaining, but it is a proven fact that chicks like Balkan Sobranie. Of course most of the chicks I am thinking about in this connection are either expired or in a nursing home. So cute when they were young, but they dropped like flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.