PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
"but, what of the Scotch Bonnet and this Reaper pepper? What do people do with them? Is it just a form of self-flagellation for past sins?"
Cosmic, I don't know about the Reaper Pepper, I have learnt from my girlfriend, Afro Caribbean food uses this but in a selective way, so if you were making curried goat you would put the Scotch Bonnet in the curry but only as flavouring, so you need to take it out while cooking before it bursts, still too hot for me though.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
So I'm taking from this thread.... If you want to try the carolina reaper, do it in small doses? Don't just pop the whole thing into your mouth, eh?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Cosmic, the only way I have gotten eggplant to not turn into snot is to cut it into thick slices, brush it with olive oil, and cook it on the grill with my steaks. It's pretty edible that way.
That's a good one. My favorite is moussaka, which has ground lamb, spices, eggplant, potato and topped with Bechemel sauce, baked just right you barely notice the eggplant.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There are hot peppers and hot peppers. While it's one thing to push one's palate with heat learning how to enjoy more heat incrementally, it's quite another to chow down on an H-bomb. There's seems to be no purpose to this other than to wear a sign about your neck, saying "Stupid," as they schlep your sorry butt to the ER.

Oh, come on, salted... some schmuck asks "what would you give me if I ate one of these peppers?" You are going to be digging deep into the wallet just to see someone do something stupid, and you're gonna root for him to do it too. It's only human nature. Sure, he is a moron, but morons serve a distinct purpose on this planet... and that is to entertain the smart people. :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The Carolina Reaper delivers an average of 1,569,300 Scoville Heat Units (SHU)

As a comparison jalapeno peppers score between 2,500 to 8,000 SHU
Sorry, but still stupid!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Where I work, we slice eggplant about 1/8" thick, dunk into egg, then into a mixture of bread crumbs, salt and grated Romano cheese. Lay them flat on a parchment lined sheet pan and bake for about 14 minutes at 500*. They turn out pretty good.
We also do many hot pepper dishes. We do a Habanero Carrot hot sauce that's pretty tasty.
I wear vinyl gloves during pepper prep and the burn still gets through after 20 or 30 minutes. Definitely take a leak BEFORE that job, as you don't want to handle your junk for some time after... 8O
jay-roger.jpg

Haha, Jaytex, I had posted a few years ago about making a whole grill full of jalapeno poppers for the grill. Cutting and deseeding about 50 of the large peppers, I was wearing gloves, but still... I took them off to take a leak after cutting them... needless to say my family had quite a bit of laughing at my expense. Even soaking in a hot tub for a few hours... it was a rough night, lots of funky dirty dancing to imaginary music. :oops:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Cleaning jalapeños years back I got a seed caught in my eye. Flushing it with water brought only minimal relief. After several hours it stopped hurting and I retained my sight. Now I always wear glasses but no matter that I tell myself not to touch my eyes, I still do.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The idiot got what he deserved. Only a complete moron would eat the worlds hottest pepper. Having been to Jamaica and the Bahamas numerous times, I am well versed in Scotch Bonnet peppers. They are really tasty when prepared properly.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I have seen on TV the pepper contest where contestants eat one chilly at a time. Not for me will stick to my “Vindalo +” at my curry house.

You have Vindalo, Tindalo then Phal.

I have eaten a Phal in the good old days before I had my cancer.

Now the hottest is a Vindalo +.

Eating a Reaper is one scary thing.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I used to have a co-worker who ate 3-5 raw habaneros with lunch every day. I love chilis but that seemed like masochism.
I grow Ghosts, Scorpions and Reapers but have a hard time finding uses for all of them. They have great flavors but the heat prevents most of it from being perceived. Occasionally I’ll have somebody ask for some as they don’t think there’s a chili too hot for them. No amount of warning will dissuade them. It’s fun watching them ride the pain train straight to Humbleville.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I was at the top of my "heat" game, I went to lunch at a Mexican restaurant that served the requisite chips with salsa, which to me was incredibly weak. So I asked for something with more heat , and the waitress returned with what was basically chopped habaneros, which I proceeded to eat with relish.
Another time I was camping in western NC and made my best chili, which was very hot. I took it to a potluck, and the man across from me ate it with great gusto, at one point looking up at me only long enough to say, :"When I like the food I don't say much," and he didn't.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I will be growing some reapers, ghosts, and chocolates this year. They make a great hot sauce. Maybe I will bottle some and send it out as gifts. Call it snowflake repellent.
BTW, for anyone interested, these varieties are a bitch to germinate. Save yourself time and order plants.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
You may think he's a moron as well...but I live in Greenville...and gave 2 freshly picked Carolina Reapers to my brother. I don't know ANYone who can handle as much spice and heat. He'll go into a legit Mexican restaurant in the middle of 'Mexican town' and ask them to prepare their hottest dish possible. He'll turn red and sweat, but he loves it. He's nuts. He took one of those peppers and bit it like an apple. He broke out in a sweat, but he did eat that bite. He said it was very, very hot, but he didn't care so much for the flavor. I like savory things, but I won't 'go there' with him.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Thunderclap headaches? I think that would be the least of my worries. A million and a half scoville heat units going in, 10 billion units on the old tailpipe coming out. Reminds me of pictures of the old Saturn V rockets launching the Apollo missions. Flames shooting out the bottom for 500 yards. No thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At a good Thai restaurant, they will always gently remind you not to eat that one lonely little pepper at the bottom of the bowl of clear soup. There's a reason there is only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.