PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Dinnae dae it.......jist dinnae!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43699484
Trust me, I am a doctor, acting on this occasion as locum tenens for Jay.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I would hate to die from eating a pepper but then again I wouldn't be dumb enough to eat one of those. The name alone should be warning enough lol.

In college, my very first year to have a garden, I grew a whole row of habaneros. I also grew a whole row of eggplants, ha ha, not knowing any better. After I played with a few of those peppers, I just realized that the damned things weren't edible... neither were the eggplants. Anyway I tried to cook and eggplant just turned to snot, literally, snot was all I could think about trying to swallow that crap. And, the peppers... what do people do with them? Make insecticides? I just pulled them all up, and with the eggplants, when they would ripen, I would toss them over the fence.
Now, I just grow bell peppers, a cowhorn style pepper that Thomas Jefferson cultivated, Paplanos to dry into anchos, cubanos, and a giant jalapeno that isn't too hot. I also will plant one bush of Serrano, which a dry and grind into a spice to use on top of my stews and such. I like spicy, but ridiculously hot spicy is just not for me. neither are eggplants... blech.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like them, though I prefer the ghost chilis. The Reaper jerky is really good.
superhots_reaper_front_1024x1024.png

Duane, this could very well explain some of your preferences in tobaccos, ha ha. JK :puffy:
But, our old moderator and fellow forum member, Lawrence, used to eat a lot of the hotter variety peppers, and he was also noted for saving up the dottles from each bowl, and re-smoking them latter. Ha ha.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Yikes! A friend of mine gave me five or six one time. my friends and I ate them whole to see what it would be like. It very much was an "experience" haha.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Duane, this could very well explain some of your preferences in tobaccos, ha ha.
A friend of mine grew some chocolate habañeros last year that were great on cheeseburgers. Used to sneak Cayennes out of my grandmother's garden when I was a kid. Guess it's a life long thing.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Peppers with that many Scoville Heat Units are only good for one thing. Pepper spray.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
FYI, as many of you may know, hot peppers (from medium hot to instant ignition) will cross pollenate to other peppers and give mild peppers a fulsome charge of heat. I wondered if the peppers and egg plants grown together would infuse the egg plants with heat, but I guess they're not closely enough related. I like a little heat to bring up the other flavors in food, but just panting and sweating ( from food in this context) ain't my thing. Medicinally, you don't need heavy duty peppers. Anything that will get your nose running is working to get the mucus flowing. A bowl of gumbo or some salsa will usually to the trick. No need to gasp and suffer.

will cross pollenate to other peppers and give mild peppers a fulsome charge of heat.

I'm sorry MSO, but that is not entirely accurate. The fruit of a pepper plant is entirely made of the DNA of the mother plant. The seeds, however, might produce plants the following year which produce peppers that are hotter, depending on what gene was dominate. But, if I planted Bell Peppers next to Scotch Bonnets, my Bell Peppers for that year will be fine.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Cosmic, the only way I have gotten eggplant to not turn into snot is to cut it into thick slices, brush it with olive oil, and cook it on the grill with my steaks. It's pretty edible that way.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Long time ago an Uncle went to Saudi Arabia to work in oil field, he brought my Father back some hot peppers in zip loc bags. My Father who was a hot pepper fan, ( I used to make him Cayene pepper on bread with mayo sandwiches) on Shrimp boat, called me and said those peppers have eaten a hole in the Zip loc. Not knowing what kind of pepper it was I warned him if it made a hole in Zip loc I wouldn't eat it. Well he made a big gumbo for his friends and wound up throwing it away. Too hot was the con census. Now this was from a man who ground up his peppers in a blender and made cubes in old fashioned ice trays. Every 2 years he would order new blades for his blender as peppers had ground the blades down. :laughat:

Brad, so you have no idea what they were?
I've heard that habenero peppers have decreased in intensity since they've first hit the scoville charts. So, people have actually started making things flavored with them. But, what of the Scotch Bonnet and this Reaper pepper? What do people do with them? Is it just a form of self-flagellation for past sins?
Aldecaker, something that only becomes slightly palatable when you do something else to it... neh, to many other great fruits and veggies. I dried up a ton of peppers last year, so I am actually doubling my tomatoes in their place this year. I ran out of canned tomatoes by February, and we can't have that happening again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic, thanks for the info; so it is the next year's crop of supposedly milder peppers that might hold the surprise. I heard this from someone who grew up on a farm, so the garden was ongoing from year to year, so that makes sense.

sakoguy

Lurker
Mar 19, 2015
I grew ghost peppers last year I ate one raw to see what it was like... One was enough. So I dehydrated and crushed them, now when I want to spice up some chili or spaghetti I just put a few pinches in. I just had some Carolina Reaper hot sauce gifted to me last week its called "The End" haven't tried it yet trying to work up the courage ☺

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Cosmic, try Japanese Eggplant, less firm than Zucchini but never reminiscent of snot. Otherwise I can only eat the goopy stuff after it's had the moisture salted out, gets breaded and fried, then baked with cheese on top.
I like to pack them tight and grow pepperoncini, cherry bomb, scotch bonnet, white habenro, ghost chili, peruvian lemon drop, and fish pepper mostly. Make great pickles.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
By way of a follow-up, another HOT piece from the BBC!! LOL (still standing in for Jay):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-43709955
I wonder if any Forum members have taken part in this sort of thing; not quite the 'slow smoking' contest at a pipe show?

Status
Not open for further replies.