PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm a bit envious of those who are going to be attending the upcoming Chicago pipe show and want to ask what some of you will be on the lookout for without asking to have you tip your hand so to speak. I've not been to a show but plan to attend my first in Columbus in August. Is it a good idea to compile a wish list of sorts? I'm curious as to what type of self imposed limits you folks put on yourselves and what items you'll be seeking out the most?

I hope to share the experience by reading what everyone posts and live vicariously through the weekend as the pictures and stories pop up. To all that will be attending, good hunting!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I, too, am jealous of those attending. I had such a wonderful time, and was blown away by both the generousity and fellowship of this community of ours.
I have to admit that I attended the show with a buying agenda. I wanted to come home with four, or more, new pipes, and I knew that I wanted at least two of them to be from pipe carvers on my list of folks whose work had inspired fantasy PAD. I actually bought my first in advance of the show when Rad Davis sent out his broadcast email showing off the pipes he was bringing to Chicago. I bought a pipe from him then, and picked it up on day one of the show. As for other items on my "list", I knew that I wanted too pay close attention to the estate tables to look for deals, and to take advantage of any show specials. I came home with my first Rad and first Alden, and two patent Sasienis plus a boatload of tobacco. having an agenda meant no buyer's remorse.
-- Pat

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I will also be attending Columbus in August and have never been to a show. I am also curious to know what I am supposed to bring with me to the show? What are the things I really want to have with me? And what are the things that are a waste of time and should be left at home?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have been wanting to try a clay pipe. There will be three people who make this type of pipe. I think there will be a presentation about them. I will talk to a carver and may order my first commission. My newphew has picked up the pipe. I plan on grabbing some samples for him.
BUT, I also plan on being ready for whatever strikes my fancy. I found a huge olivewood pipe last year from someone selling his relative's pipes after he died. I also found a nice billiard from a new carver, at an unbelievable price.
Winton

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I am going to try and be disciplined and not just buy the 'omg, did you see that one' pipe
S. Bang Kobenhaven, Jess chonowitsch, possibly butera, and Becker as estates

for the older masters, and going to check out what Clark Layton has come up with along with J n J pipes and a few others, including ewe Jopp
My previous attempts at discipline have failed miserably...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
What are the things I really want to have with me?
Cash. Various denominations of, by and large, greenish bills. Also, a small rotation of your favourite pipes to enjoy in the smoking tent/rooms. I'd also recommend some small cobs for sampling tobaccos picked up at the show, and if possible some small group 1 or 2 pipes for sampling tobaccos graciously shared by other show goers.
I should also mention that I went in to the show last year with a budget and I stuck to it like glue. Gods help you if you don't.
Hmm, can he do it???
Given the best indication of future results is past behaviour... I think the answer is a resounding, "No way. Not a chance." I love you Allan, but you know you're going to squeal like a little girl at all the bright and shiny pipes on Thursday in the in-room portion of the event, and when the doors finally open on Saturday.
I wish I was going to be there with you all.
-- Pat

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I am hoping to get a new pipe made by a carver, perhaps a Ryan Alden, but I'm open to new artisans too as you can get good pipes for less money. I also am buying estates for our local B&M and they have given me a nice budget so it will be lots of fun digging through estates too.
I'm also planning to take a Dunhill Cavalier to sell or trade.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
stanlaurel, about what to bring: A few smaller bowl pipes for sampling tobacco always come in useful, pipe cleaners, and matches or lighter. A pipe nail or two to lose in your pockets. Maybe a tote bag or backpack for purchases. I like a denim jacket with big pockets, but others might prefer a sports jacket. Mainly you want to be comfortable and mobile, and not bring multiple items that might get left behind. Comfortable shoes. Informal clothes. A conversational attitude.

Dec 24, 2012
I should also mention that I went in to the show last year with a budget and I stuck to it like glue. Gods help you if you don't.
I have every expectation that I will stick to my budget.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'll be picking up some tools and raw materials- probably a military mount cutter from JAlan...and will be looking for some really unusual bamboo...and probably some ebonite in colors I don't have...

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Pruss, I remember when you bought that Rad Davis last year, how's it smoking?
I'm terrible at budgeting in general and I'm surmising that it'll work something like this, I go in with a wad of cash and walk out penny less save for a small bag full of pipes and tobaccos. Works for me!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Pruss, I remember when you bought that Rad Davis last year, how's it smoking?
It's a wonderful pipe, and is a three hour smoke if loaded fully. I'm really happy with it.
I have an iron clad rule: never buy before Sunday. I won't stay under budget but I won't go over as much.
That makes sense, but if I had followed that rule I probably wouldn't have come home with my fishtail Sasieni billiard or my Alden Canadian. There are deals to be had on Saturday.
-- Pat

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Here is my rule. Pipe money goes in left pocket. I want the disciple of cash. Once it is gone, I am done. I have a plan to spend some of it. And I am open to other ideas. Last year I picked up five pipes, and only two were planned. I came home with money.
My tampers sales covered all my costs and bought lots of supplies. Stop by my table this weekend.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Columbus will be a great first show. I really look forward to it each year. It's big enough to have most everything from new and vintage tobaccos, plenty of estate pipes, plenty of artisans and lots of assorted "pipe stuff".

It's big enough to be a bit overwhelming, but small enough that you actually can walk through the whole place and have a glance at all the offerings before deciding what you want to take home. Beware of waiting too long though, just when you've talked yourself into grabbing a pipe you looked at 2 or 3 times, it will get sold right in front of you :D

Smokers Haven usually does a pre show at the shop on Friday, but I don't know what Premal will do this year since they've moved. There was an open house at the convention center last year on Friday evening where vendors were allowed to set up and show/sell their work to anyone who wanted a sneak peak. It was fun, laid back and not too crowded. Hope they do it again this year.

Above all, enjoy the camaraderie and meet some new friends while you're there. The pipes are just an excuse for us all to get together and enjoy ourselves, and for that a good pipe show is unequaled.

Status
Not open for further replies.