PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I'm sure everyone has heard about it on the news. This one is lining up to be a monster storm up and down the east coast. Curious which of our brothers are in its path, and what your plans are for the big event?

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I'm in Baltimore City and it looks like we can expect 12-20 inches minimum. Winter gear all ready, kids excited, sleds standing by. I'll most likely have a cob clenched filled with something substantial like 10 Russians or Gaslight for shoveling and walking around (if possible). A cigar may be in order but it may explode with the climate shock outside it's cozy humidor. Stay safe everyone.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The effected area, according to the weather models, is shrinking, as are the total accumulations. I'm ready for anything, but not expecting much. Forecasts have us (Quakertown, PA - An hour north of Philadelphia) at 5-24" right now. If we get 3", it will be nice.
My dogs are ready, too:
10269436_10208584369436147_4692818088767751358_n.jpg

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Last I heard it's 12-16 in. through the Philly metro area. We will see. Our weather forecasters are masters of fear mongering. I count the accumulation when it's done falling.

Jun 4, 2014
Calling for 6 to 12 inches here in the Pocono's. Have the essential ready, tobacco, pipe, matches and a snow shovel!

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Hope everyone in the path of this storm is well stocked with milk, bread, eggs and toilet paper... Can't have snow without over buying those items!

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
You guys should have a quinzhee building contest. That's what we do up here.
My older son loves building these. This year we can get the younger one involved.
"Boys, go build Dad an ice man cave"
I'll see you guys in the springtime when they thaw me out.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Hope everyone in the path of this storm is well stocked with milk, bread, eggs and toilet paper... Can't have snow without over buying those items!
Apparently everyone who's snowed in makes French Toast. Well aside from the TP, that's for later.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
I'm in upstate NY. Just another winter day. I have my pipes, Port wine, Bourbon, Scotch, and a bottle of Moonshine for the ready.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The forecast models are wavering like a presidential candidate. I've seen projections from 6" to 26" today. Only one thing to do: Tune up the snowblower, turn up the heat in the garage, and have some War Horse ready to go with a snifter of...
12489176_10208581374481275_2133941109131437788_o.jpg

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I'm in upstate NY. Just another winter day
Yep, born and raised a Buffalo boy. I chuckle when I see the lines at the grocery store down here in Philly. Bunch of wussies.
Dan, the Double Oaked is one of my favorites. Having only ever had the regular, I picked up a bottle last year. Damn fine stuff. Dangerous to keep in the house though. It don't last long.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Yep, born and raised a Buffalo boy. I chuckle when I see the lines at the grocery store down here in Philly. Bunch of wussies.
My son is now living in the D.C. area. He called me today and told me people down there are freaking out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm in beautiful balmy N.C. Trouble is, we do get winter precipitation. The snow's kind of pretty, usually not too deep, and doesn't last long. What bedevils us is ice. It makes the road crazy unsafe because, if you can drive, many can't. But more important, because these events happen two or three times year, we can't justify the battalions of trucks and ploughs, salt and sand, that are standard in snowy places. Some, but not quantum numbers. The ice makes the trees fall on power lines and we get power outages. The frosting is, I have a steep and shady driveway that is last to melt in the whole southeast, or so it seems. I just went out with a 40 pound bag of rock salt and a tomato can and spread it all over the driveway hill. We shall see if this helps. I moved my wife's car down to the street, in case that is clear before my driveway. The big event for us is Friday, but we get a second treatment of probably snow on Saturday. We'll see if the salt does any good. Luckily, in the one sense, my wife is in nursing care after big orthopedic surgery, so she can sit out any trouble on the home front. Comparatively, we barely have any winter. However, when we do, it's trouble. Just didn't want you to think I'm sipping bourbon on the porch. I did just enjoy a bowl of GLP Westminster in a Nording freehand to rest after the rock salt chore. If you don't see any posts from me, I probably have no power. If you see a lot of posts, I'm hunkered down and hoping for the best.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The interstates can be highly entertaining in VA and the DC area when the temps drop or a wee bit of snow falls. I love the look on peoples faces as they do a 360, foot firmly on the brakes, wheels locked, knuckles white and eyes like saucers as they watch the panorama pass in front of the windshield.
First snow up here results in the same I will admit.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I'm in the southern tier of NY, only a few inches expected here. I like Woodsroad's plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.