PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@jpmcwjr Apart from the Old Boy, what else would you recommend amongst top brands?
It's not avaiable where I live.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I dropped my Old Boy once and it will no longer hold fuel. $35 repair charge for each sevice, and Zippo repairs are free.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Isn't the fluid taste a drawback though?
The newer fuel has less of a taste. Allow it to burn for a few seconds before lighting and even that goes away.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
If you get the butane insert, it's less of a big deal on the taste. Works like a champ and I love it. Burns more fuel when smoking flakes, so I'll just say YMMV, but I love mine. Bought an older zippo, replaced the insert with this:
zpplus-pipe-1000.png

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Agree with the above. Zippo with butane pipe insert. No leaks and you dont taste the butane unlike the lighter fluid.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
If you get the butane insert, it's less of a big deal on the taste. Works like a champ and I love it. Burns more fuel when smoking flakes, so I'll just say YMMV, but I love mine. Bought an older zippo, replaced the insert with this:
So this looks like the lighter is no longer ambidextrous with this insert. Is that correct?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
So this looks like the lighter is no longer ambidextrous with this insert. Is that correct?
That is correct. You can only put it in one way so that the lever in the back fits in the lid correctly. Plus, the flame only extends to one side.
I mean, you could theoretically light it with your left hand, just might be a little weird to hold it that way as you light, but totally doable. Just lit my pipe with it with my left hand. I'm not a lefty, so it was made a little more awkward, but I did it. Don't think they're made in a left and right configuration.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I found with the Zippo that if you let it flame a few seconds before putting it to the tobacco, you don’t get the lighter fluid taste. I would not use a Zippo for years because of the perceived taste issue, but now I use it all of the time. I also have a Xikar Pipeline, which I like, but it’s more finicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.