PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Who makes the best 965? I am getting low on my stash and am wondering what to replace the namesake with.

Who makes the best copy? Does a house like S&G make a similar? C&D? Sutliff? Perreti?
Help me out here. The end of Dunhill and McC are killing me.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I'm a big 965 fan, it's my favorite tobacco. The closest I've had to a 965 clone is, Peterson Old Dublin. Also, it's made by STG.
When my 965 stash runs out, I'll smoke a lot of Old Dublin.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I smoke 965 99% of the time. Interestingly, I've tried Old Dublin twice and hated it. Perhaps the 3rd time will be the charm. I really haven't found anything quite like 965 (trust me, Les Young has given me every match blend ever made, all to no avail).

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Father Dempsey is SO. GOOD. I like 965, but IMO Father Dempsey does it better.
Also, If I understand correctly, the Sutliff match is based on the older Murray blend, not the recently departed 965. But it is also a good blend.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
When you guys talk about "the Sutliff Match" are you talking about the match blend for sale on P&C? I ask because I don't see Sutliff mentioned on the site.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/match-my-mixture-965-pipe-tobacco/1475591/#p-119646

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know about the matches, since I haven't tried any. But I can tell you that C&D has attached the number 965 to their Tuggle Hall blend, though it is an entirely different animal with Cavendish as its base. I find it a delectable blend, full flavored but not challenging strength, interesting and nuanced. I really like it, but the 965 is an odd tag for this blend which is, to me, not much like the Dunhill blend. It would be like tagging Old Joe Krantz with 965 ... whah?

sokrates

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
You might also try Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard from B&B Tobacconists. It is a bulk blend available from 4noggins. I would call it a family resemblance to 965, however it is a very good tobacco in its' own right. I actually prefer it to Dunhill, which is good since I don't have much 965 left!

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
You might also try Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard from B&B Tobacconists. It is a bulk blend available from 4noggins. I would call it a family resemblance to 965, however it is a very good tobacco in its' own right. I actually prefer it to Dunhill, which is good since I don't have much 965 left!
Another good blend. I've gotten it from 4noggins and also from the shop in Asheville. At this point I think I have a pound of it cellared and it will probably be a daily go to once the FDA hammer falls.

Status
Not open for further replies.