PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'll second cosmic's OP going into a sticky. It took me a long time to get that smoking slowly and sipping the pipe was going to greatly enhance the overall experience. Smoking a cob will teach you that quicker than a briar IMO because it'll heat up quicker. With the open draw on the cobs it's easy to just keep it barely lit and just squeeze every molecule of taste out of whatever your smoking. I spent a good deal of today driving and had a pipe clenched the whole time while listening to some old podcasts from here. With the windows up and the air on I could hardly tell the pipe was lit because there was no smoke drifting around. Had it been a cigar, it'd been a different story.
I'm in agreement also that the pipe does act as a time machine. It helps smooth the rough edges and jangled nerves of even the most stressful of days and having gone from cigars to pipes, pipes to cigars, cigars to chew (never again) and now pipes exclusively, I can say that there's a huge difference in how I handle the curves that life throws at me when I have my pipe to turn too. Traffic doesn't bother me anymore, stupid people don't bother me......quite as much and my overall feeling of contentment is more prevalent.
Great post Cosmic!

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I'm not norally a very fast smoker, but I read this thread today and took it as a challenge. Came home and loaded a fairly large pipe with some Orlik Golden Sliced. I'm gonna say it was the equivalent amount of tobacco of 2 1/2 Escuda Navy Deluxe coins.
Lit the pipe.
Smoked for 1 hour and 3 minutes before my first re-light

Smoked 34 more minutes before second re-light

Smoked 24 more minutes before third re-light

Smoked 24 more minutes and the bowl was done. Nothing but ash left over.
So a total of 2 hours and 25 minutes with three re-lights. (and I never tamped in between re-lights, which I would have done if I was in a slow smoke contest)
I think I probably could slow down another 10% as I wasn't trying to win a contest or set a record. I was just sipping away. Nice.....long.....slow......relaxing pipe.
Thanks to the OP for simply posting this as an idea for some and a reminder for others.

Reactions: vates

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
cosmicfolklore,
Very well said. I still find myself having to discipline myself to not smoke too fast and to slow down. I do fine that I truly achieve the benefits that you outline in your post when I do. It's very rewarding when I can take my time and really savor the unique flavors of the tobacco blend I'm smoking and truly enjoy the pipe smoking experience.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
This thread and the advice herein, have helped me immensely. My bowls are lasting longer, tasting better, and my briars are staying cooler. Thank you very much. I also agree, FWIW, (in my newbie-arsed opinion), with making this thread a sticky.

Wow, I'm totally honored. I'd like to reiterate that I am no expert on pipe smoking trying to sell one way to do things. I just like to write, and I am excited getting the most out of my pipes. I'd just lit up a bowl of ODF and was puffing away too fast, when I saw that I had responses to this thread, so I had to slow it down. LOL. So, thank you guys for reminding me to slow it down. It's easy to get carried away.
Mmmm, got to love that deep savory smoke of ODF, especially savored slowly. :puffy:

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
If I do have something hounding me to get finished, I just set the pipe aside. Feeling anxious or rushed does not mix well with the pipe.
Seconded.
For me, less is more when it comes to pipe smoking. If I'm in a rush or at work, the pipe is a no-go. it is the one time a day that I get to relax and having a pipe while doing just about anything besides reading, listening to music or watching television is out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.