PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
A lot of guys may give me grief about this but I recently had the same experience with OGS flake. I tried it in a nice briar that I just cleaned and got ready for the first VA bowl... and it was not at all what I was expecting. Then I waited a few days and tried it in my MM cob and it was wonderful! I have two more VA blends and have found with both of them that I enjoy them more when I smoke them in a corn cob pipe. Maybe this is because of the natural sweetness of the cob... but whatever it is I'm using a cob to break myself in and learn the VA flavor before moving into a nice briar.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks for all the great information and tips everyone, it was just what I was looking for. I think I'm really going to tackle this Virginia beast with a lot of patience. I need to learn to smoke slower anyway, maybe this will force me to.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks for all the great information and tips everyone, it was just what I was looking for. I think I'm really going to tackle this Virginia beast with a lot of patience. I need to learn to smoke slower anyway, maybe this will force me to.
Watching you cherished briar glow red and catch fire will definitely encourage you to slow down your cadence.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I enjoy aros, lats, and VA blends. But lately, I've been reaching for the VAs almost exclusively. Like for the past 6mos or more. I've found that cube cut flakes or fully rubbed out work best. Matches help the flavor, weather permitting. Tamping lightly and often helps too. Something I do is pack the bowl with a pipe cleaner through the stem into the draught hole, and pull it out when done. It keeps a nice little air pocket in the bottom.
Definitely pay attention to what you eat/drink beforehand. A cup of hot black tea might help cleanse your palate.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Two weeks ago I dropped by House of Calabash and picked up a pouch of Legion of Honor, a VaPer. I've had only one bowl of it and it seemed very bland to me, same as most Va blends I've had. I attribute this to my lead tongue, not Steve's blending capabilities. This thread gives me motivation to focus on enjoying Virginias and overcoming my dull palate. Great advice here. I've always felt a bit ashamed for not "getting" Va's.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Wallace, there are many Va's that I find bland.

Lighter flakes such as OGS, Capstan Blue, Klondike Gold, etc, don't trip my trigger.

I like a deeper richer flavor such as McCranie's Red Flake or McClelland Christmas Cheer.

On the sweeter side, Wessex Brigaid Campaign Dark Flake and Mac Baren Navy Flake.

Cube cut and a gravity pack with fine "kindling" on top and a slower cadence than you feel is needed.

Good luck and Happy Smoking! :puffy:

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Newminster No 400 Superior Navy Flake, or McClleland No 2010, slow an easy mmmmmmmmmmm :D

I just started these recently but I really like them.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
The lemons or goldens are harder for me to taste than a deep rich red or brown Virginia. I also have trouble if they are stoved at all.

tanzebjorn

Lurker
May 11, 2014
If you are having issues with Orlik, you'll definitely have issues with Capstan. I drink coffee all day long, and when I try to drink green tea my daughter makes, I can't taste it. Mainly because my tastebuds were overwhelmed by the stronger flavored drink. If I smoke latakia early in the day, I cannot smoke a Virginia until the next day. I mean, I can smoke it, I'm just not going to taste it.
As mentioned earlier: I think that if you are used to smoking tobacco with more flavour like latakias/aromatics, your taste buds will get used to it. I have been experimenting with latakias bit and have found out that I stop getting a consistant sensation from smoking only latakia for some time.
I think that the flavor profile of pure VAs are more subtile than other tobacco types, but there is a possibility to train the pallet.
I may add that I get more rich and better taste from Orlig Golden Sliced when i fold the flake rather than rubbing it out...

Status
Not open for further replies.