PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Not sure who recommended Forever Stems for use with MM Cobs but whoever it was, I THANK YOU.
Although the cobs are convenient, inexpensive, etc., there was just something about smoking them that wasn't nearly as pleasurable as smoking my good briars. It seemed that each smoke was a little less pleasurable than the last to the point that I only reached for the cob when I felt my other pipes needed more rest time. I noticed that I had nearly chewed through the stems on the two cobs I have about the time I read about Forever Stems so I placed an order for one.
I received it a few days ago and, man oh man... what a difference!
This is one great community. Thanks to each of you for sharing your insight and experience. It makes the pipe journey all that more enjoyable!

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I've yet to buy a MM Cob, I've resisted but can see where it would be a great addition to my collection. What do you recommend? Where is best place to purchase and to get the forever stems? Thanks.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I bought 3 cobs when I decided to try pipe smoking - a Diplomat, a Country Gentleman and an Ozark Mountain Hardwood. Of these, I much prefer the Country Gent over the Diplomat (size of bowl and general appearance, I think, is what I like better). I don't care for the hardwood at all - perhaps it just needs more time to break in but honestly, it tastes like smoking yard grass out of child's wooden toy car. I imagine it will sit in a drawer for awhile and then eventually be tossed in the round file.
I think I bought them from here: http://corncobpipe.com/
I bought the Forever Stem from Walker Briar Works. I got the bent version of this one:
Forever-Regal.jpg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've been focused on my briars over the winter, but now that the weather's getting better and I will be doing yardwork shortly, the cobs are working their way back into rotation. I think I need another Forever Stem or two - they're fantastic. Thanks for the reminder!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Forever stems change a filtered pipe to non-filtered. With a non-filtered cob, you have to order

a Forever stem to fit a non-filtered pipe. When you order, since they custom make each stem, you

can have it cut to your specifications, up to the full length offered. I have three pipes, two formerly

filtered and one non-filtered, with Forever stems, and they are excellent. Just make sure to take the

time to get the correct stem for your pipe. They come in a nice variety of colors and styles. Sometimes

they are on sale for a few dollars off.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Glad you like the Forever stems, they make all the difference in the world!

The nice thing is you can use the same stem in the Diplomat and Country Gentleman, but I bet you end up with at least one more. I have one for every MM Cob I own including a Mini-Churchwarden on a Danish Egg shape.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
Apatim,
I couldn't agree more!

I bought a MM Cob but didn't smoke it much because the stem was uncomfortable. I bought a Forever Stem for it and loved it. Bought two more MMs and ordered Forever stems for them also. Great for smoking while working in shop or in the yard.
Great post!

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
I received my newest forever stem in the mail just today, a vulcanite bent fishtail for my MM Country Gent. It was a good another good choice.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
They are great! Walker is by far the best! Stock up on them, Dave ain't getting any younger (much love Dave!!) I not sure if Mike will take them over someday.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Apatim, I see the Country Gentleman is a filtered pipe. I'm not a filter fan. Any other recommendations? Or can you just emanate the filter and let'er roll?

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I tossed the filter. An occasional piece of tobacco or ash gets through but that doesn't bother me at all. I prefer my better briars but appreciate the simplicity of the cob. The cob is always ready to perform.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
As I said earlier, never tried one. I'm game for the price. Think I'll give one a try. :)

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I thought the country gentleman was an unfiltered? Hotshot I prefer the diplomat (good bowl size) and if you throw on a forever stem filter would be gone anyway.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
One more question, I'm on their website, the "forever bit" is that the ones that just say "bits" or am I missing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.