New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think the funneling of the tenon on factory pipes allow for a larger opening so the chance the two openings will actually reasonably meet.
Absolutely!! And, actually, before this conversation, I had never given the funnel a thought. But, now I am expecting all of my custom mades to be flush, ha ha!!

It is cool to have a place with so many high end pipes to be able to check things like this on. The Briary rocks.

I wonder how many years until I am skilled enough to credibly blame the instrument for a bad smoke instead of my own shortcomings.
Actually, the better you get at smoking different types of pipes, the less the pipe will matter. But, it’s just nice to have a few of the finer pipes on hand. But, I enjoy my factory pipes about as often as my better designed and engineered pipes. And, some I have just kicked to the curb for various reasons. YMMV

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
This is great, fun reading, and thought provoking.
Provoking the thought: wouldn’t this make the (beloved?) Falcon an engineering marvel? Straight shot from the center of a briar bowl to the mouthpiece... hummmm...puffy

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Scientists in Mexico noticed there were short distances on the Aztec canals where the walls were wider apart. Since this appeared at set distances along the canal system they decided to model them on a flow bench. What they discovered was as the velocity of the water flow increased eddy swirls developed where the walls widened that served to choke off or impede the flow thus insuring the flow remained more constant across a varying volume of water. don't know how this applies to air (smoke) flow but throwing it out for consideration.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Reading this thread and taking a flashlight and peering into the shanks of the pipes i like smoking the most, i discovered that they all had tenons that werent long enough to meet flush with the shank.
I guess i dont mind that too much :)

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
there are very few pipes where the tenon actually is flush with the bottom of the mortise.. as in like 1%.
otherwise they would bottom out without going all the way in when the wood expanded.

that's why on some pipes you see a goofy "extended" piece that isn't part of the tenon but tries to get close to the draft hole.. but it still doesn't touch the draft hole.
the chamfer allows a smooth transition of air ______] \________rather than it going down into a flat ended dip. ___] [_____

Status
Not open for further replies.