PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I seem t have missed a great deal after my absence from the hobby (US ban on DH, blends disappearing and returning, lots of new stuff on the tobacco market, smoking legislation etc.) Imaging I would have stopped my second hobby, cycling, for ten years, I would be baffled by all that has changed (carbon frames, disc brakes, electronic shifting,..). Can you sum it up for me? Put me up to speed?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Seems to me that dark fired Kentucky leaf has become a very popular component in new blends recently.

Capstan has been resurrected for yet a second time, and it's been pretty well received.

The online tobacco market has witnessed a tsunami of flake tobaccos.

Tobacco cellaring, for the purpose of aging and hoarding now enjoys widespread popularity.

Blender Russ Ouellette has become something of a phenom, and one of the most prolific blenders.

Mark Ryan single-handedly rescued the Perique industry.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
+1 Cortez........

The online tobacco market has witnessed a tsunami of flake tobaccos.
I'd add plugs to this as well....... GLP's Jacknife, Gaslight, Triple Play......Lots of GLP's blends ...... Westminster, Lagonda, Sextant, Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning.. ETC, ETC.........

Man, you got some catching up to do!!.......... :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Much like in the cycling world, many things have changed but all the old stuff still works well.
Welcome back from a Cob smoking, full-rigid single-speed riding fool! :puffy:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I say the biggest change in the last few years is the influx of artisan carvers who have entered the hobby at a fairly high level. It seems like the learning curve for new carvers has gone from years to days. The continued rise of internet sales and eBay continues to grow. I'd have to say Pipesmagazine.com has done a lot on the information side. 8O

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
GL Pease. Yes! I remember licking Haddo's quite a lot. Where do you guys purchase his offerings? Anyone has an European source? I was much into Esoterica back then. Penzance was a favorite of mine but it seems it has become something like a holy grail since (I won't ask for a source here, obviously).

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
If you're in Europe I'd highly recommend the following boutique blenders:
http://shop.hu-tobacco.de.hu-tobacco.de/epages/63080810.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63080810/Categories&Locale=en_GB

http://www.gqtobaccos.com
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been pipe smoking, but on and off, for about 40 years. Over the last ten years, the big change is online retail. It certainly existed ten years ago, but nothing like today. I'd learn the "conventional" online retail, mostly our sponsors, before ebay, which is a whole auction game of its own, where you need to learn the players. I don't use ebay myself, but some get great deals, and others get scammed. Online retail has increased the number of blends available, increased the speed and number of newly introduced products, including revivals of discontinued blends. It has greatly expanded the estate pipe market and improved the reconditioning and sanitizing of estate pipes. It has made celebrities within the pipe community, and expanded and accelerated the flow of information. It has elevated the conversation about pipes and tobacco, so reviews are at a higher level, and quality and service glitches are quickly reported (sometimes exaggerated, admittedly). Study the sponsor sites as an entertainment, and you will soon be able to make a list of the changes in pipe smoking for yourself. It would be interesting to hear your impressions, just getting back to this.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
You missed Peck causing a run on many popular blends. :)
You missed the great Full Virginia Flake Shortage of 2011.
Esoterica is impossible to find.
We Americans now hoard, opps, I mean cellar, tobacco.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
In his usual eloquent style, all Cortez has left to be said is: Welcome aboard, Thomasmartin from the rest of us, who had not, yet returned to smoking, when you left. :lol:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
What is different from ten years ago? Hmmmm.... Oh, I know!
Mention a tobacco that is mind blowing (to you or a group) and you can literally watch it disappear from an etailers inventory.

zenistar

Lurker
May 17, 2015
Switzerland
Synjeco stocks GLPease, I just ordered some Union Square and Sixpence from them this morning :)
http://www.synjeco.ch/pataall/taba/3050.php?i5s9

Status
Not open for further replies.