PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I know that they're considered to be a cheap, maybe even disposable type of tobacco pipe.
I've really only smoked briar pipes before. It looks like I'll be getting one of SD's custom cobs for St Patty's, and I want to know the full deal.
Are they more prone to burnout? how about cleaning? do they require any special maintenance?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
After 40 years of pipe smoking I finally got 2 MM cobs- Country Gentleman and a Great Dane Egg. I really like both of them. Some guys prep them with pipe mud and others use a honey&brandy concoction. I just loaded them up and smoked. They can take quite a beating and, so far, I've had no problems with "ghosting".

They're great for trying new blends without putting your good briars at risk and I've found that some blends are actually better in the cobs.

They are a no nonsense approach to pipe smoking and I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Happy smoke rings.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Just load 'em and smoke. Not much else required. Just clean them after each use and smoke 'em slow like you would any pipe.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
When you first get them they have a strange taste, for the first 2-3 bowls. That passes and then they are very nice.

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
I've been wanting to try one out as well, as a kind of tribute to my grandfather. He used to smoke PA in a cob all the time.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
Cobs and Burley are like peanutbutter and jelly they just go together

I was going to say "eggs and catsup" but my wife tells me that aint normal

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
AH yes, cobs and burley are made for each other. I find that PA smokes better in a cob than any other pipe.
I do usually consider your basic, run of the mill cob to be somewhat a disposable pipe in that I use them as my outdoor work pipes. If they get broken, so what? You're out what? Five or six bucks? Big deal. Now a custom made one like SD's pipes (I have one coming too) are a different matter in that regard.
As for maintenance, pretty much the same as any other pipe. Smoke it, run a pipe cleaner through it when the mood strikes you, and forget it. Well, that's my pipe maintenance routine anyway LOL.
They do not smoke like a briar. It does take just a little getting used to. And despite what some may tell you, they do need broken in as far as building up a bit of cake so they burn and taste better (like a briar in that regard).
Although many consider cobs to be ugly, myself included, they are fine smoking pipes and well worth the "he must be a hick" looks you get from some people when smoking one.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I was going to say "eggs and catsup" but my wife tells me that aint normal
It's not normal?

I can't imagine scrambled eggs without ketchup!
Cobs.

It's pretty much all been said already zanthal.

I'd only add that if the cob your smoking doesn't have a hardwood plug in the bottom you want to pay attention when using a pipe tool.

More than a few folks have poked through the bottom of a chamber. Not me of course, others (-;

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Please read my Primer for more information on corncobs and their proper care.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Although many consider cobs to be ugly, myself included, they are fine smoking pipes and well worth the "he must be a hick" looks you get from some people when smoking one.
Ain't that the truth! I recently had a friend tell me that my SD cob was the first time they saw a cob and didn't think "hillbilly". :D

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Cobs, they are great, smoked them for almost a year before I ever tried briar. They taste great, they take a beating, and there arent as many rules as briar.
As far as burnout, I have a country gent that I have smoked somewhere between 150-200 times, and I have no signs of burnout.
Go spend the 5 bucks and try it

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I find that my smokes don't last quite as long in a cob as they do in a briar pipe because of the very open draw. I love the open draw but I can't keep myself from puffing on it like a briar. So my smokes are reduced by about 1/4.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
You will enjoy it and you will find in the end you will get a plane jane cob and use it alot as your kick around pipe

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
You guys clean your cobs? They like to run dirty for me. Their appeal to me is their high performance, low cost, durability, and style or lack of it.. if you care.

Status
Not open for further replies.